AFL Player #18: Lewis Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

Have harped on about this since the u18 carnival in his draft year - in the game v Vic Country he moved on to a red hot Bailey Humphrey and closed him down. Has very good closing speed to go with his height and reach.

He then went to full back on Harley Reid in the same game……and got absolutely rag dolled but I choose to believe that’s just how good Reid is :)

I’m there - play him this week.
Versatile, lanky ginger full back with good closing speed. Hmm sounds familiar

He then went to full back on Harley Reid in the same game……and got absolutely rag dolled
😂 Crazy strength - even Franklin in his second and third years and with his long arms was regularly done htb when he tried the don't argue. Great that Hayes has good closing speed - can play complementary roles to McKay.

😂 Crazy strength - even Franklin in his second and third years and with his long arms was regularly done htb when he tried the don't argue. Great that Hayes has good closing speed - can play complementary roles to McKay.
Yep - he’s strong everywhere but his lower body in particular is super strong. His leg drive for a first year player is at a Judd or Danger level.

With Reid, ridley and McKay. Where does Hayes fit in our ideal backline going forward.

Depth but could he also be a redman replacement or all four in best 22.

Think realistically unlikely to have all available so would play most weeks even if fourth in line.

Or do you see him surpassing any of the 3 above?

With Reid, ridley and McKay. Where does Hayes fit in our ideal backline going forward.

Think realistically unlikely to have all available so would play most weeks even if fourth in line.

It’s a good question and wouldn’t we love to have the problem of all being available at the same time!

Probably need to see Reid play at AFL level before commenting. His ability to play on mids and maybe smalls will likely answer that question.

He fits in Reid's place because I have little faith his body will ever come good. 😭

It’s a good question and wouldn’t we love to have the problem of all being available at the same time!

Probably need to see Reid play at AFL level before commenting. His ability to play on mids and maybe smalls will likely answer that question.
I've been pretty impressed with what I have seen with Reid. Only a glimpse but enough to have very little doubt on his talent but if his body holds up.

For me bit like perkins was obvious after a few games was afl standard, how good is still the question.

Cox, tsatas others bit more unknown and can they improve enough in the areas they lack skill wise.

I've been pretty impressed with what I have seen with Reid. Only a glimpse but enough to have very little doubt on his talent but if his body holds up.

For me bit like perkins was obvious after a few games was afl standard, how good is still the question.

Cox, tsatas others bit more unknown and can they improve enough in the areas they lack skill wise.
Just realised I wrote Reid instead of Hayes….need to see Hayes at AFL level and whether he can play on mids or small.

Agree that Reid looks good from limited viewing.

Its Time Vegas GIF by BPONGofficial

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridley is an excellent flanker.

if the stars align and they’re all available, ridley will cut sick on a flank

if the stars align and they’re all available, ridley will cut sick on a flank
Like he used to early on . He basically takes the Heppell spot. :cool:

Like he used to early on . He basically takes the Heppell spot. :cool:
It's pretty tall then but with mcgrath, redman and potentially roberts we have some small defe der options to round out a back 6.

What are hayes foot skills like?

Understand this is harder to tell as even players with great foot skills don't always translate when put under the pressure of afl.

Just hasn't been mentioned much. So would it be considered a draw with laverde when looking at as a replacement.

It's pretty tall then but with mcgrath, redman and potentially roberts we have some small defe der options to round out a back 6.

What are hayes foot skills like?

Understand this is harder to tell as even players with great foot skills don't always translate when put under the pressure of afl.

Just hasn't been mentioned much. So would it be considered a draw with laverde when looking at as a replacement.
He's a long kick.. a good one I would say, but not a great one.

He's no Kaine Baldwin and he's no Zach Reid, put it that way.

just watched this (cbf doing work right now oops) and goddamn does he read the ball really well off the boot. that's the kind of stuff that takes time to learn.

i like his size and mobility, i reckon he could easily play on taller opponents reasonably easily, as well as smaller ones.

just watched this (cbf doing work right now oops) and goddamn does he read the ball really well off the boot. that's the kind of stuff that takes time to learn.

i like his size and mobility, i reckon he could easily play on taller opponents reasonably easily, as well as smaller ones.
Bring him in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back