Retired #18: Matthew Lloyd - Diagnosed with Bell's Palsy - 15/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 18. Matthew Lloyd

Ess V WCE:
+0=855

he is playing on darren glass this week. good luck to him.

Ess V WCE:
+0=855

he is playing on darren glass this week. good luck to him.

Who will play on Lucas? Although he has only been back two weeks he is very capable of kicking a bag on Friday night.

with lloyd i know his out of form at the moment and what i'm about to say is probly the reason

but i've noticed lately (except for that nice mark against hawthorn).that when he goes on a lead and jumps for the ball he bends both feet up behind him which is why he always lands on the ground and his usually just a little to far under the ball.now as i said this could be because his out of form....what i'm asking is do you think this is the reason or his picked up a bad habit?

btw 2 against west coast for lloyd

4 for lucas

Who will play on Lucas? Although he has only been back two weeks he is very capable of kicking a bag on Friday night.

hunter will play on lucas. i reckon neagle is the wildcard if he plays. he'd get the worst defender and if we use him properly he could kick a bag

with lloyd i know his out of form at the moment and what i'm about to say is probly the reason

but i've noticed lately (except for that nice mark against hawthorn).that when he goes on a lead and jumps for the ball he bends both feet up behind him which is why he always lands on the ground and his usually just a little to far under the ball.now as i said this could be because his out of form....what i'm asking is do you think this is the reason or his picked up a bad habit?

btw 2 against west coast for lloyd

4 for lucas

He has done it his whole career.

An article from todays Herald sun by Mike Sheahan.

Lloyd, like Dons, a shadow of past

AT season's end in 2004, Matthew Lloyd was 26 years old with 695 goals to his name.
After 96 goals that year, he was more than halfway towards Tony Lockett's AFL record of 1360, and motoring.
With the totally reasonable expectation of another 7-8 seasons, Lockett's total seemed a realistic target.
After all, "Plugger" was 33 when his career effectively ended in 1999 (he played three games in 2002, kicking three goals).
Sadly, it has been downhill for both Lloyd and Essendon since 2004.
A broken arm in a practice game delayed his start to 2005 (59 goals), and the Bombers tumbled to 13th.
The following year, after 12 goals in the first two games, he ripped a hamstring tendon off the bone, his season done by Round 3.
He returned in 2007 with 62 goals in a team that finished bottom five for the third year running.
Now, midway through the 2008 season, Lloyd, on 855 career goals, and Essendon are struggling as never before.
After a month of indifferent form that has netted him just eight goals, the murmurings have turned into a roar.
Lloydy is "gone", they're saying. Not only has Lockett's record become the impossible dream, now the 1000-goal target might be out of range.
Given his fitness and form of the past 18 months and the current predicament of the team, 145 goals in the next 18 months -- the term outstanding on his contract -- is out of reach.
Lloyd will be 31 at the end of the 2009 season, having played 15 seasons, with a goal total in the low 900s.
On current indications, a contract extension would be a debatable proposition. For both parties.
So, where did it all go wrong?
Simple answer, he isn't the player he was; the Bombers certainly aren't the team they were.
Lloyd looks cumbersome, struggles to get clear on the lead, isn't as sure above his head, goes to ground more than he should, and has lost a little penetration in that once unfailing left leg.
He endured 54 minutes without a kick in the game against Hawthorn last weekend -- from the 23-minute mark of the first quarter to the 17-minute mark of the third quarter.
Then there are Essendon's problems. In Lloyd's case, the issue is the team's inability to take the ball inside the forward 50 with acceptable regularity.
The Bombers are averaging 44 inside-50s a week, 15th in the competition and down from 51.4 in his most recent outstanding year (2004).
In Rounds 5-11, they averaged 39.1, last and by a long way.
In the two games Essendon registered 50 or more entries - North Melbourne and Carlton - he kicked six and four goals.
The poor supply is a problem compounded by the quality of delivery. Midfield disposal efficiency of 71.9 per cent in that period also is the lowest figure in the competition.
Lloyd approached preparations for the 2008 season full of enthusiasm. He was fit, impatient and optimistic - it's an open secret he had pushed for a change of coach and endorsed Matthew Knights.
As it's turned out, Knights has been tough and uncompromising, and the man once known as the Velvet Sledgehammer hasn't escaped the coach's iron fist.

Figuratively speaking, of course.
Lloyd has kicked 26.8 from 10 matches this year after a promising start (10 goals in the first three games).
A modest total by his standards, yet he is the only Essendon player in double figures. David Hille, Adam McPhee and Mark McVeigh are next with nine.
That's the issue: Lloyd isn't what he was, but he was a star. Surely his detractors aren't implying the team would be better off without him.
Better off with . . . ?
Lloyd's confidence is down, yet his history against West Coast is encouraging.
In 11 games in the 2000s, he has kicked 44.15. His most recent "bag" was eight . . . back in 2004

his hands are still good, but when the ball hits the ground he has the mobility of an old man. a couple of times last week croad just exploded away from him

He sucks he is too old trade him or make him retire

Stretcher boy... you are clearly what your name suggests - a boy. To say that the all time leading goalkicker at our clubs "sucks" is very simple of you. There is some fair debate about whether he is as good as he was, but your comment is so simple that most will hopefuly not take note of it.

Stretcher boy... you are clearly what your name suggests - a boy. To say that the all time leading goalkicker at our clubs "sucks" is very simple of you. There is some fair debate about whether he is as good as he was, but your comment is so simple that most will hopefuly not take note of it.[/quote]

Too late Sigmund, his a bloody tool. Im sick of tired of people bagging him. Leave him the hell alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has done it his whole career.

true true maybe it's just more noticable now since his a little out of form

but he'll come good i'm tipping he'll do great in the second half of the season he may have let croad get away a few times when it hit the ground but the pack mark he took showed his coming back :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back