Delisted #19: Kobe Mutch - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Strikes me as one of those guys like Sidebottom or Macrae or Grigg that's always in motion and always doing something. Racks up possessions for fun.

I was thinking he might be our next Stanton type - except that Stants was a very good long kick but poor short kick while Kobe seems to have a very neat short kick but he'll need to flatten it and get some more penetration for it to hurt the opposition over distance.

Rested last week, not playing at all this week at either level. Is he injured? Sick? Anyone know what's going on?
A poster on here last week mentioned he had suffered a concussion but was not sure whether it was in the Blues game or the next training. His family was informed not to travel down for his next game as he was not playing. Maybe his inside info was correct and its taking a bit of time. Funny they would not list it in the injuries though.

A poster on here last week mentioned he had suffered a concussion but was not sure whether it was in the Blues game or the next training. His family was informed not to travel down for his next game as he was not playing. Maybe his inside info was correct and its taking a bit of time. Funny they would not list it in the injuries though.
If they don't have to explain it on the AFL selection sheet then it often goes unnoted in the injury report, in my experience. The most obvious indication is when they simply aren't named for a week or two, without us being told they've taken personal leave for whatever reason (Eades/Francis situations come to mind).

So a concussion :think: Interesting. two weeks with a concussion isn't good..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ongoing headaches (not concussion).. ruled out again this week.

Young midfielder Kobe Mutch failed to take the field on the weekend and appears likely to miss again after failing to overcome a series of niggling headaches.

“Kobe has had intermittent headaches over the last week and a half. There is no evidence of concussion, but we’d like to be conservative, because sometimes it’s difficult to work out exactly why these headaches are coming,” Crow said.

“Until they resolve completely for an extended period, we’re going to keep him out of contact training and then also out of matches.

“So we’ll be watching him closely this week as to whether or not he becomes available for the weekend.”
http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2018-05-29/skins-injury-update-rd-11

Poor bloke still struggling with headaches. So lousy for him, he was going pretty well in the AFL and now he'll need to return via VFL and build up form again.

Young midfielder Kobe Mutch failed to take the field on the weekend and appears likely to miss again after failing to overcome a series of niggling headaches.

“Kobe has had intermittent headaches over the last week and a half. There is no evidence of concussion, but we’d like to be conservative, because sometimes it’s difficult to work out exactly why these headaches are coming,” Crow said.

“Until they resolve completely for an extended period, we’re going to keep him out of contact training and then also out of matches.

“So we’ll be watching him closely this week as to whether or not he becomes available for the weekend.

hi justin, i found the evidence.

Interesting as to what is causing the headaches. My son (in his 20s and reasonably fit) has had headaches on and off for years whenever he goes for a run. He has been to his GP who doesn't really have any ideas, other than possible exertion induced headaches, which can be caused by lack of water or low blood sugar levels and a few other things. My son hasn't been able to work out the cause or fix it.

Yep.

Every headache is concussion.

woah son that's a big claim but all power to ya.

but you know, in my time watching professional contact sport, i can't think of many cases where an athlete suddenly gets " intermittent headaches" (which happens to be a key concussion symptom) which are serious enough for the athlete to be taken out of action, and it's not a concussion related issue. more to the point, it seems incredibly reckless for Crow to be very firm in saying it's nothing to do with concussion when the reason they're not picking him is one of the key signs of concussion and they don't know why he's suffering the sign. He gains nothing from making that statement, and if Mutch does end up being diagnosed with a concussion....

woah son that's a big claim but all power to ya.

but you know, in my time watching professional contact sport, i can't think of many cases where an athlete suddenly gets " intermittent headaches" (which happens to be a key concussion symptom) which are serious enough for the athlete to be taken out of action, and it's not a concussion related issue. more to the point, it seems incredibly reckless for Crow to be very firm in saying it's nothing to do with concussion when the reason they're not picking him is one of the key signs of concussion and they don't know why he's suffering the sign. He gains nothing from making that statement, and if Mutch does end up being diagnosed with a concussion....
While your condescension is so fantastically becoming, I think I will have to trump your experience of “watching professional contact sport” and your not being able to “think of any cases” with my biomedical studies and work in sports medicine and suggest there are likely to be many other reasons.

Now while I am sure you will fall back on your default experiences if it turns out this is the case, and go with the tried and true “I told you so” your claim that Crow is being reckless is not only premature, it is also incredibly immature.
Can you point me to where he says it isn’t related to concussion? Are you aware there are plenty of other reasons a person may get headaches? Can you point me to the tests they did on Mutch where he may have shown none of your key concussion symptoms?

I hope you enjoy your internet points though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back