Ongoing Test match XI speculation thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love them to pick both Pucovski and Green in the first Test. We need to be daring.

Burns and Wade are plodders. Burns was never an opener. His technique is too loose and Wade's batting against NZ was just plain weird.

Get some youth into side and let's be excited about Australian cricket again.
Puc needs to perform in the Aussie twos before he gets the nod. Frankly, I'd prefer the selectors to allow him a little more time to settle-in due to his mental health battles. He has plenty of time.

I find it funny that last season when people wanted Burns in the side they used the fact that Warner likes batting with him as part of the argument and now that they don't want him there they're whinging about said fact.
Last year a clear standout didn’t exist and that was the edge Burns had over the other candidates.
He also wasn’t horribly out of form with a player the selectors have wanted in the squad coming off back to back double centuries.

Last year a clear standout didn’t exist and that was the edge Burns had over the other candidates.
He also wasn’t horribly out of form with a player the selectors have wanted in the squad coming off back to back double centuries.
He was the standout choice last year without it. And it's still ironic.

Puc needs to perform in the Aussie twos before he gets the nod. Frankly, I'd prefer the selectors to allow him a little more time to settle-in due to his mental health battles. He has plenty of time.

I don't think he does. He has been on the verge of selection for the past two years. They have wanted to play him at Test level. He has just scored two double centuries. If you don't get picked on that form, then the selectors need to take up another sport.

Might have to just play a combined Victorian/NSW XI for the upcoming series with other states sending their players into quarantine following the SA outbreak
Harris
Warner
Pucovski
Smith
Maddinson
Henriques
Gotch (+)
Bowlers

Warner
Puckovski
Marnus
Smith
Wade
Green
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazelwood/ Starc

12th Starc/Hazelwood

Yes lets leave one of the best bowlers out to play Pattinson...not going to happen. Fact is the 3 bowlers are panels ahead of Pattinson, Neser and Abbott.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Paine has joined the debate calling for Burns to retain his spot. Well this is great for a young kid with mental health problems knowing if he does get picked, neither the captain or the coach think he's the best option
If he can’t handle the uncertainty of selection, then professional cricket is not for Pucovski. Now, I don’t think it’s actually the case, but let’s not seriously start suggesting we pick a guy cause he’ll be sad if we don’t. That’s equally disrespectful.

If he can’t handle the uncertainty of selection, then professional cricket is not for Pucovski. Now, I don’t think it’s actually the case, but let’s not seriously start suggesting we pick a guy cause he’ll be sad if we don’t. That’s equally disrespectful.

I'm more aiming at the captain and coach both coming out publicly that they want Burns to retain his spot over him.

Tim Paine has joined the debate calling for Burns to retain his spot. Well this is great for a young kid with mental health problems knowing if he does get picked, neither the captain or the coach think he's the best option

maybe pucovski gets a test debut as a concussion sub ? ;)

I would guess that Langer and Paine are backing Burns in publicly because they don't wish to throw the incumbent under the bus (wouldn't be great for his morale or the existing current XI's).

Doesn't mean that Pucovski won't get picked, or that Langer/Paine don't feel differently behind closed doors.

Pucovski is must play IMO.

Imagine if some of the great batsmen of the past such as Ponting or Tendulkar were held back from playing because the incumbent was a Burns-type journeyman who averaged 30 something and whose form was ‘solid’.

Pucovski may or may not reach those heights but his CV to date demands that sort of attention for selection.

Cricket is full of hard luck stories, to be in the first 11 for your country you need to be the elite of the elite, solid doesn’t cut it. Burns may feel unlucky but his papers won’t be stamped, he can always score a mountain of runs at Shield level and force his way back. Right now he looks a long way off a mountain of runs.

I’d make exactly the same case for Green vs Wade - in fact Wade has had even more opportunities at Test level and done less, despite good shield form. The only reason I wouldn’t pick Green is because 2 debutants in the top 6 might be pushing it.

Yes lets leave one of the best bowlers out to play Pattinson...not going to happen. Fact is the 3 bowlers are panels ahead of Pattinson, Neser and Abbott.

Pattinson over Starc/Hazelwood any day of the week in my book. Its a shame he has not been able to get on the park as much as he has been able to. They talk about Burns holding his spot because of last summer but what about Patto? His bowling at the end of the summer vs NZ was exceptional. He is a lock for mine.

Swap Wade for Head then

Both are playing the first test. Green has done very little since that hundred and everyone is scoring runs. Head has two tons, Wade has runs for Tassie.

Pattinson over Starc/Hazelwood any day of the week in my book. Its a shame he has not been able to get on the park as much as he has been able to. They talk about Burns holding his spot because of last summer but what about Patto? His bowling at the end of the summer vs NZ was exceptional. He is a lock for mine.
He took 0/58 and 0/8 in the last test? He bowled well during the summer but so did the other 3.

Not as good as Hazelewood, Starc and Cummins. It's just not going to happen. They want the lefty for variety and it helps Lyon bowling into footmarks on the last day. Hazelwood is less likely to leave us 1 short as Pattinson is like Bruce Reid always breaking down. The only change might be Pucovski for Burns that's it. We aren't going to have 2, 3, 4 changes to a side that whilst I have queries, retained the Ashes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back