Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - dropped vs Geelong & misses out again vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Slow, no awareness, highly skilled and soft

Shane Harvey eat your heart out.

When does his contract run out?

Thought he started the first quarter well but then it was all downhill from there.

Also thought he had matured as a player a fair bit, but less sure of that now.
His first quarter was great, plenty of pressure acts which is what we should be looking for. The rest is cake icing.

The only thing fast about him now is the rate of hair loss. I said the same 100 pages ago or so, can we all agree now? Or, is it just that by some fluke he keeps getting chased by the oppo's cheetah. His goal sense lives on so could still be a crumber but like LDU seems to have a hard time knowing when to give the hands vs go it alone. Having him the deep down the line kick for the likes of captain spanner to aim at at times today was ******* ebarrassing.

Terrible game. Was running at 50% in the 2nd quarter and had 3 turnovers resulting in opposition scores.
He was a big part of the reason why Freo were so close early on.

i would drop him. Just isn't offering anything consistent enough to show he should be in the 22 and that he brings at least one elite attribute.

Terrible game. Was running at 50% in the 2nd quarter and had 3 turnovers resulting in opposition scores.
He was a big part of the reason why Freo were so close early on.

i would drop him. Just isn't offering anything consistent enough to show he should be in the 22 and that he brings at least one elite attribute.

Excellent post and spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a junior he was legitimately quick, what the * happened? He looks like he is running in quicksand.

Very very frustrating player.
Yep. Stephenson seems to have lost some pace. Can’t seem to outrun his opponents any more. :stern look

That left foot snap which was never going to make the distance when he had Durrsma wide open flapping his arms about 15 metres away 😮

He let the team down in fatal moments such as this. I've been a believer but he needs to earn his spot back, as well as the trust of his teammates.

When ur teammate yells 'Ya hot'. It doesn't mean 'It's ok to have a 50yo hairline on a 20 something head, zero fat equals sexy'.

It means 'get rid of the #%&*ing pill now!!'

It's ironic that watching him get mown down from behind is also giving me a 50yo hairline
1711505463441.png

When ur teammate yells 'Ya hot'. It doesn't mean 'It's ok to have a 50yo hairline on a 20 something head, zero fat equals sexy'.

It means 'get rid of the #%&*ing pill now!!'

It's ironic that watching him get mown down from behind is also giving me a 50yo hairline
View attachment 1940924
What happened on that one? Looked like he had porridge in his boots. Definitely seen him move faster than that for us

Jaidyn is doing ok. He's toiling away, the returns often fluctuate for these mercurial types especially when the team at large is so flakey.
Can't agree mate. The mercurial player that kicked 38 goals in his rookie year and blew WCE off the park at Optus back in 2021 (38 disposals, 10 marks and 4 tackles) is like comparing Winx to a nag that finished 6th at a maiden in Packenham nowadays.

He was averaging nearly 20 touches a game when he arrived at Arden Street and that was down to 11 per game last year - this year he's already started off worse again.

I will agree he's having a crack at locking the ball in our forward line and his intensity has definitely improved (seems like he's had a rocket from the top) but like a mirror image of our team on Saturday, it quickly drops off after a couple of quarters.

I truly wish this guy played to his potential because he would be a freak, but unfortunately I struggle to think of another player who's had as many chances over the past 3 years and as a former high draft pick with 112 games under his belt he should be at the peak of his powers.

Can't agree mate. The mercurial player that kicked 38 goals in his rookie year and blew WCE off the park at Optus back in 2021 (38 disposals, 10 marks and 4 tackles) is like comparing Winx to a nag that finished 6th at a maiden in Packenham nowadays.

He was averaging nearly 20 touches a game when he arrived at Arden Street and that was down to 11 per game last year - this year he's already started off worse again.

I will agree he's having a crack at locking the ball in our forward line and his intensity has definitely improved (seems like he's had a rocket from the top) but like a mirror image of our team on Saturday, it quickly drops off after a couple of quarters.

I truly wish this guy played to his potential because he would be a freak, but unfortunately I struggle to think of another player who's had as many chances over the past 3 years and as a former high draft pick with 112 games under his belt he should be at the peak of his powers.
He's definitely underperformed relative to his potential. But can see him having a big icing on the cake year when we click.

He's definitely underperformed relative to his potential. But can see him having a big icing on the cake year when we click.
below is his first year numbers, not even sure what they mean tbh, but bloody impressive.

So what the heck happened, cause as it stands I cannot see Stevo playing for us in season 2027. And no he isn't a shitmen, that's CCJS

1711523376074.png

I can never get my head around Stephenson, tbh.

His possession count was way down last year, but then again he finished second in the goal kicking.

He's thought of as a half-forward but his highest possession games are all played predominantly in the back half. I feel like he's played well for us on a wing.

I like him but he's immensely frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back