AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty shocked to hear. Marshall is decent enough for the saints. Ahead of Draper atm. Weird move

Still annoying he wasn't made our 1st choice ruckman early this season.
There really wasn't much about his form to suggest he yet ready to be thrown to the wolves as sole ruck. Yes his form was coming along well, but there's a disconnect between building and being thrown into the deep end as you're suggesting.

He was ready, we like always take a conservative approach.
He wasn't ready to be first choice. Given a taste, sure, but not #1.

St. Kilda can get their greedy hands off him. I'd overpay to keep him.

EFC should be be able to provide a good offer - Offer him 300K for 2 years - And then by this time we'll know how effective he can bs an AFL ruck - Perform well and he could get 450 to 500 K for year three or four.

He should have been off the table by now. Why haven't we parcelled him up with a new deal by now? It is as obvious as the nose on Bill Lawry's face that he is exactly the ruckman we need for the future, and leaving him hanging on an expiring contract at the end of this season, given his vfl form and the value of a good young ruckman, is just asking for some club to do exactly what St. Kilda are reported to be doing.

He was ready, we like always take a conservative approach.
He really wasnt.
His form at the start of the year was good but mildly inconsistent. Plus his two worst games came against teams who were playing AFL listed ruckman. If he struggled against Tom Campbell, he wasnt ready to be a number 1 ruck.
Riley O'Brien needs to be the precedemt for him. ROB is 24 and only now starting to find consistent form. Draper is 21, so he is doing quite well for himself.
Is this clickbait?
Honestly i wonder if this was pre-ACL. They have reportedly been heavy into Goldstein as well so it appears they are looking for a ruck. Although its strange as Marshall has been impressive.

Paying 1.7m for an untried (albeit promising) ruck comong off an ACL injury seems a little strange though tbh when you have a promising Marshall and the VFLs best ruck in Longer on your list.

Can someone who knows the rules better than me explain how St. Kilda would get access to Draper.
My limited knowledge tells me we get priority access to upgrading Draper to our list at the end of the year as his rookie contract expires this year.
Does Draper have to agree to contract terms for us to do this?
I am going to assume yes.
So if we don't make an attractive enough offer to Draper to induce him to sign a contract and he decides he wants to take up St. Kilda's offer, how does he get there?
We can't trade him I don't think. So does he enter the draft and put a price on his head that only St. Kilda will pay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone who knows the rules better than me explain how St. Kilda would get access to Draper.
My limited knowledge tells me we get priority access to upgrading Draper to our list at the end of the year as his rookie contract expires this year.
Does Draper have to agree to contract terms for us to do this?
I am going to assume yes.
So if we don't make an attractive enough offer to Draper to induce him to sign a contract and he decides he wants to take up St. Kilda's offer, how does he get there?
We can't trade him I don't think. So does he enter the draft and put a price on his head that only St. Kilda will pay?

You can trade rookies. See Josh Jenkins.

Pretty shocked to hear. Marshall is decent enough for the saints. Ahead of Draper atm. Weird move

Marshall is best suited to playing forward/ruck. With MCartin's issues marshalls forward work is important for them. So they are after a good number 1 ruckman.

Would be a nice combo actually.

He should have been off the table by now. Why haven't we parcelled him up with a new deal by now? It is as obvious as the nose on Bill Lawry's face that he is exactly the ruckman we need for the future, and leaving him hanging on an expiring contract at the end of this season, given his vfl form and the value of a good young ruckman, is just asking for some club to do exactly what St. Kilda are reported to be doing.

Still greedily hoarding talent like Mark Baguley on the main list. He HAD to be available in round 1 or we might have lost.

I suppose we shouldn't disregard other first choice talents like Brown and Guelfi, you know, guys you build a team around when you first get the chance to develop a team.​

Last edited:
Surely we play hardball like GC did with Martin. A first round pick or he stays. having said that I believe he's more valuable to us than a first round so we should just refuse to trade. Young, promising ruckmen are worth gold for so just offer him a big contract to stay. And do it soon. I'm getting nervous.

Agreed. As ridiculous as it might seem for St. Kilda to offer $1.7 over 4yrs, I’d have no problem matching that if push came to shove.

Wonder what the thought process is behind not just the story but the thought process behind it.

Why wouldn’t they offer that money to a more proven prospect like Sean Darcy? Really O’Brien? Archie Smith? The young guys already showing signs at AFL level? Or did the media hear they’re after an untried injured prospect and put a price on it to fill a column? The Saints don’t rebuff the report so it gains legs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back