AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

Slated to return against GWS in 1-2 weeks
Listed as test ahead of Round 23 game vs GWS
Listed as test:

GM of Performance Daniel McPherson said all players must get through main training without issue to be considered for selection.

“We’re really pleased [they] are all close to a return, and provided they have a good week, we expect they’ll be pushing to be available for selection,” McPherson said.

“Once we get through main training, we’ll be better placed to make a call on whether or not each of them is ready to go.”

I saw your boy yesterday at my local gym.

He was doing some core and light recovery work. Is he still recovering from any injury/niggles? He's a massive unit and has such a presence. He's bulked up a fair bit from I last saw him play as a Panther.

As a South Adelaide supporter, I follow all the ex-Panthers in the AFL, and it's fair to say that Sammy is one of the most exciting prospects (along with Jason Horne-Francis) to have ever come out of Noarlunga.

He was doing some core and light recovery work. Is he still recovering from any injury/niggles? He's a massive unit and has such a presence. He's bulked up a fair bit from I last saw him play as a Panther.

As a South Adelaide supporter, I follow all the ex-Panthers in the AFL, and it's fair to say that Sammy is one of the most exciting prospects (along with Jason Horne-Francis) to have ever come out of Noarlunga.

Was nursing a hip issue in the second half of the season that saw him miss most of the games post bye, seemed to be rushed back for the GWS game as a last chance roll of the dice for finals then missed again the next week, so assume it’s related to that still.

Was nursing a hip issue in the second half of the season that saw him miss most of the games post bye, seemed to be rushed back for the GWS game as a last chance roll of the dice for finals then missed again the next week, so assume it’s related to that still.
They’re calling it a hip/groin so corework makes sense to take some load off the tendons

groin injury, hopefully back in main training by January
Yeah so that hip that became a hip/groin is now just a groin injury.

Hopefully back in main training by January.
ESSENDON is hoping Sam Draper will be back into full training at the start of 2024 after an injury-hit end to this season.

Draper battled a groin injury in the second half of the year, playing just one game after round 13 as the Bombers sunk down the ladder and out of finals contention.

The ruckman is a pivotal part of the Bombers' hopes, with the club's head of performance Daniel McPherson saying Draper would be taking a cautious approach during the start of the off-season.

"This time of the year it's fairly conservative given there's a longer timeframe. We'll just keep monitoring that. He's doing little bits and pieces but he's not doing a whole heap yet so the plan will be to get him back running again shortly and progress him and lift that up leading into Christmas and then hopefully he's in main training again by January," McPherson told AFL.com.au.

"That's the plan at this stage. It's been annoying because it's just been hanging around since the middle of the season. For a guy who plays in that position where you need a bit of power and jumping, it makes it difficult."

Yeah so that hip that became a hip/groin is now just a groin injury.

Hopefully back in main training by January.

The pain is in that whole region on one side (inner groin and outer hip). Has mostly manifested as hip pain. Is having mesh put in the groin in the coming days to stabilise it.

The pain is in that whole region on one side (inner groin and outer hip). Has mostly manifested as hip pain. Is having mesh put in the groin in the coming days to stabilise it.
Sounds very similar to what they did to Joe Daniher. Is it OP?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injury update: groin surgery
Last time we heard about it (last week) he wasn't running yet, and now instead of the goal being main training by January it's main training in January, so 2-4 weeks setback?

I mean not like they'd know anyway, usually they don't get an ETA until the post-surgical consult thing.

Essendon ruckman Sam Draper has undergone surgery today on his groin.

Draper battled a groin injury in the second half of the year and his conservative rehabilitation program has not successfully relieved him from discomfort.

Essendon General Manager of Performance Daniel McPherson confirmed the news.

“Our initial approach was to undertake a conservative rehab approach with Sam given the time of year. We’ve been monitoring his progress daily and his improvement has been slower than we would have liked to this point,” McPherson said.

“With pre-season approaching, we want to give Sam the best chance to return to training pain-free, and surgery gives him the greatest assurance of this. The plan will be to build him up leading into Christmas before integrating him back into main training in January.

“The role Sam plays requires power and agility to enable him to run and jump, and this injury has prevented him from being able to do that. It hasn’t improved at the rate we would’ve liked, so it was decided that surgical intervention was required.”

Essendon will provide further updates as his rehabilitation progresses.

Last time we heard about it (last week) he wasn't running yet, and now instead of the goal being main training by January it's main training in January, so 2-4 weeks setback?

I mean not like they'd know anyway, usually they don't get an ETA until the post-surgical consult thing.

Surgery was the last resort in the treatment. Only saw the surgeon for the first time late last week and had the final scans so that was when the final decision was made (although that was 95% going to be the path they were going down as of a couple of weeks now). Pretty quick to get him in by yesterday.

Will be running in mid November. But will be rehab group when they start back 20th nov.

Yeah don't think this one is the fault of the medical department. At least we'll probably get Goldy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back