2009 Vuelta a Espana

Remove this Banner Ad

If Cadel is still in Gold after Stage 13 then I'll get excited. Has some days of climbing still to come. Valverde will be a massive threat tonight.

Wish Vuelta was on SBS aswell.

This is the sort of situation Cadel has to take advantage of. Will not get a better chance than this so hopefully he gets a bit of luck along the way.

How good would it be if SBS were showing this on their 2nd channel

Cadel looses his Malliot Oro after Valverde out sprinter him, Basso and Gesink for the bonus seconds at the line. That final climb wasn't very long but boy was it steep, hit a gradient of 21% at one stage. Veloso won by 40 second Marzano, Valverde finished 3rd.

1 Gustavo César Veloso (Spa) Xacobeo Galicia 5:21:04

2 Marco Marzano (Ita) Lampre-NGC at 0:00:21

3 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne at 0:00:40
4 David De La Fuente (Spa) Fuji-Servetto
5 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank
6 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence-Lotto
7 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas

8 Javier Ramírez (Spa) Andalucía-Cajasur at 0:00:53

9 Joaquím Rodríguez (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne at 0:01:12
10 Tom Danielson (USA) Garmin-Slipstream
11 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-NGC
12 Tadej Valjavec (Slo) AG2R La Mondiale
13 Ezequiel Mosquera (Spa) Xacobeo Galicia

14 Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) Lampre-NGC at 0:01:29
15 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Saxo Bank
16 Samuel Sánchez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi

17 Igor Antón (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi at 0:01:37
18 Daniel Navarro (Spa) Astana

19 Matteo Carrara (Ita) Vacansoleil at 0:01:39
20 Juan José Cobo (Spa) Fuji-Servetto

Not a bad result for Cadel though he didn't look like he wanted to loose it. Valverde now 7 seconds ahead of Cadel in the GC while Sanchez lost 50 seconds to the Cadel, Valverde, Basso and Gesink group.

General classification after stage 9:

1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 36:26:40
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence-Lotto at 0:00:07
3 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank at 0:00:36
4 Tom Danielson (USA) Garmin-Slipstream at 0:00:51
5 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas at 0:00:53
6 Samuel Sánchez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi at 0:01:03
7 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-NGC at 0:02:04

Stage 10 is 170km long and should basically be a day off for the climbers...

2yr6fswghj1no2haediv.gif

Tonights the night for the breakaway I think. 2nd cat climb before a decent into the finish. Two tough days of climbing, nobody is going to be working overally hard to reel in any breakaway before the climb.

Evans is perfectly placed here if you ask me. Basically leading without the pressure on his team to control the race. He is a better climber and TTer than Valverde and hes my tip to win this. Lol @ Vino, 14mins back and completely out of it.

P.S well done to Gerrans showing his team what a complete **** up it was not selecting him for the tour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did Evans fare last night?
Last night may as well have been flat, even though its listed as a mountain stage with 50km to go after the last climb to the finish all the GC riders just sat in the group and waited for the next stage.

We have 3 mountain top finishes in a row friday, saturday and sunday nights that should decide if cadel will win this race. Sundays stage is actually not a mountain stage yet they finish at the top of a HC climb so it will have far more effect then last nights mountain stage.

Rest day tonight sucks though but if cadel is still 7 seconds off the lead after these 3 stages or in fact ahead then he shouldn't be able to lose this race because Valverde would be lucky to lose less then 30 seconds to cadel in the TT.

i dont understand why the media isnt making a bigger deal than they are. Cadel could be the first Australian to win a grand tour wont get a better chance than this.

Just finished the 2nd climb for today, 6 minute breakaway but all the contenders are still together.

13km steep climb up to the finish today so stay tuned, there could be some sorting out of the pack.

Not a great deal of excitement other than Gesink in the last km getting away from the main contenders. Think managed to bridge his 36 gap to Valverde by 20 odd seconds. Valverde on the tall of Evans all day and neither could keep with Gesink at the end. Valverde got great supporter from his team today i thought.

Ryder Hesjedal took out the win.

Overall Standings:

1 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 51:12:38
2 Cadel Evans (Aus) Silence-Lotto 0:00:07
3 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank 0:00:18
4 Tom Danielson (USA) Garmin-Slipstream 0:00:51
5 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas 0:00:53
6 Samuel Sánchez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:01:03
7 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-NGC 0:02:13
8 Ezequiel Mosquera (Spa) Xacobeo Galicia 0:02:14
9 Daniel Navarro (Spa) Astana 0:03:53
10 Joaquím Rodríguez (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne 0:04:00

Since when did a time bonus become a time "bonification".

Matt Keenan was using this made up word constantly at the end of last night's stage as Gesink was looking to get a further 8 seconds for third.

Driving me mad at the end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back