Review 2011/2012 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone thinking Sellar would be picked up by another club? He was a first round draft pick, he couldn't have lost all that talent, surely...
Why? He has shown bupkis for any other club to want a too short ruckman that was behind Maric, Mckernan and Griffen.

Sure he is not horrible but still....

Why? He has shown bupkis for any other club to want a too short ruckman that was behind Maric, Mckernan and Griffen.

Sure he is not horrible but still....

Apparently Craigy had informed Jim that he had played his last game with the AFC however things may have changed. Ben Hart recently suggested he had shown some potential in his "trial" as a key backman and was one of our options as a key defender post Davis. This may be us hoping to get something in a trade but I wouldn't be surprised if he was retained.

I've always thought that Sellar would be a good CHB or full back - and plays very similar to Alipate Carlisle, however, he has done himself no favours by not asking Glenelg to allow him to develop solely in such a defensive role.
I maintain that he should go (or maybe too late now to save his AFL career) to South Adelaide which needs a tall key defender and could/would play him there.

With Bock, Davis, Stevens all gone, and rumour that Young is to be delisted, plus IMO Smack is not a key defender, - then i would suggest that either Sellar or James Craig be kept as a possible FB.

I've always thought that Sellar would be a good CHB or full back - and plays very similar to Alipate Carlisle, however, he has done himself no favours by not asking Glenelg to allow him to develop solely in such a defensive role.
I maintain that he should go (or maybe too late now to save his AFL career) to South Adelaide which needs a tall key defender and could/would play him there.

With Bock, Davis, Stevens all gone, and rumour that Young is to be delisted, plus IMO Smack is not a key defender, - then i would suggest that either Sellar or James Craig be kept as a possible FB.
Me too... but I try to keep it quiet :eek:

May not be at the club by the end of the year either; if we bring in a new coach rather than promote internally, don't be surprised to see most of the assistants depart as well. It should be clear to them that it's time to try somewhere new, and a new coach is likely to want to assemble his own team anyway.

Me too... but I try to keep it quiet :eek:

I'm another. What I have always liked is Jimmy's closing speed, which is pretty good for a big fella. His skills are far better than Talia as well.

I think he has been stuffed around by the club and can see the same thing happening to McKernnan. He's a ruckman that we want to turn into a forward, no hang on a defender, no hang on a ruckman. This prevents the players from demanding one spot back in the SANFL.

Jimmy sounded like he did well on the weekend and would be a better CHB in my opinion than McKernan, he likes the hard stuff and likes to spread from defense which is what we have lost with Bocky and Davis going. Yes LT can do this too, but what happens when he goes down.

1 more year in my books. Would we really want the club recruiting another tall defender when we need mids? And then seeing Truck, Talia or LT breakdown for a few weeks and come up short?

5AA received an SMS saying that Sellar, Schmidt, Cook, Young and Moran have already been told that they won't be with the club next year.

Even if it's a suppposition rather than fact, it won't be far off the truth.

If it's true, I'll claim I called it last week in the delistings thread:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22030979&postcount=356

I think, in addition to the 30, we could afford to keep McKernan, Maric, Callinan, Craig, Shaw and Lyons. [note - McKernan is now in contract, not sure about others]

That would mean both Moran and Sellar go, and one of Schmidt or Young. The remainder of Schmidt and Young could easily be flicked in favour of a fourth draft pick, and I think my preference.

Therefore, my tip for player movement is:
Stevens (ret)
Davis (defected)
Cook (delist)
Moran (delist)
Sellar (delist)
Young (delist)
Schmidt (culled from rookie list)
Milera (culled from rookie list)
Wright (upgraded rookie)
Riley (upgraded rookie)
Callinan (upgraded rookie)
Johncock (move to vet)
Four draft picks in.

Like the four draft picks in the draft... :)Agree with Dangar man

Wow lost three tall big men so far..Davis, Stevens and Moran. Our talls were stockpiled now are weakened greatly. Still think we have talls covered. Might need to pick a tall back here and mabey rookie one.

PRIORITY still should be gun midfielders. Ruckman late or rookie draft too i suggest.

afl.com.au 2 Aug Giant's draft rules explained said:
Compensation picks will be tradeable and can be used by clubs at any time within five years covering the period 2011 to 2015. First round compensation picks can not be until the 2012 draft onwards. Clubs will be required to nominate the year in which they plan to use the compensation pick before the first round of the Toyota AFL season in that particular year.

As per the rules with Gold Coast, the compensatory pick would be assessed around the player’s age (greater weighting for younger players), club contract ranking (greater weighting for club key players), on field performance (greater weighting for strong club best and fairest performance) and draft position if less than four years experience.

This ranking system will then determine if a club is eligible for a compensatory pick in one of five spots -- first round pick, end of first round pick, second round pick, end of second round pick or third round pick. Under the model, the round one, round two or round three picks would be taken immediately after the pick the club already has in that round in the draft that year.

As previously discussed Davis ranks
1. Age, high
2. Contract ranking - moderate (probably best 22)
3. On field (by B&F ranking, moderate due to inj, otherwise high considering his M.A Bickley award and Rising Star nom)
4. Draft position - high.

Surely, that would be at least an end of first round pick.

If that is the case, we can't use it until 2012 anyway.

Don't forget there are 6 first round picks banked from the GC raid last year:

Herald Sun said:
Gold Coast – mid round one selection (traded from Geelong, after compensation for the loss of Gary Ablett).
Geelong – end round one selection (compensation for the loss of Gary Ablett).
Brisbane Lions – end round one selection (compensation for the loss of Michael Rischitelli).
Richmond – end round one selection (traded from Adelaide, after compensation for the loss of Nathan Bock).
Brisbane Lions – end round one selection (traded from the Western Bulldogs in a trade, after compensation for the loss of Jarrod Habrow).
Gold Coast Suns – end round one selection (traded from the Brisbane Lions, after compensation for the loss of Jared Brennan).

If they got used in the 2012 draft, an end 1st round compo would only be in the order of pick 20-25 anyway, probably 22+ if Port and GC get priority picks too. Now tell me a young rising star top ten draft pick with 18 games of development is worth a 12 month wait for a 22+ draft pick....
What's the bet whatever we get we wrap it up with Sellar and trade it out for a washed up has been this year? If the delistings go deep we'll have a fourth vacancy. Trading the compo pick could be a better option than a 4th round 2011 pick - get someone vaguely useful as opposed to a pimply wannabe who couldn't crack the top 60 in a dud draft.

We'll get mid first round for Davis, as will the western bulldogs for Ward. Melbourne will get the Ablett compensation - mid first and end of first round for Scully.

Not really deserved, the last one, but they don't want to be seen to be crippling a club because they never anticipated GWS to take such recent draftees.

Remember - contract ranking will also be high, as it is based on his GWS contract, not his Crows contract.

MMM were reporting this morning that this week will be Michael Doughty last game.

With Stevens, Moran and Davis confirmed I think Schmidt, Cook and Young are obvious delistings with Sellar a probable delisting.

The key issue is to ensure we don't lose any more young players (Talia and Gunston). Since Armstrong seems to have resusitated his career my sad conclusion is that it will be the end of Dogga. Despite all the criticism on BF he has had his fourth good year in a row. Unfortunately we have plenty of players that can play as a medium/small defender; Johncock, Reilly, van Berlo, Symes, Tambling, Martin, Otten, Jaensch, Petrenko, Shaw and Smith. In a perfect world Johncock and Jaensch will play every match, van Berlo and Smith will play in the midfield and we have to see if Tambling, Martin and Shaw are long term propositions. The problem for Dogga has been the solid form of Reilly since moving into the background.

Anyone think we can afford to keep Dogga?

Stevens, Davis, Cook, Moran, Symes, Young all delisted and Schmidt and Milera cut from the rookie list.

I imagine we'll keep one of Roach/van Bertouch and Martyn, but we won't carry three who are all in the reserves.

Wright upgraded to the main list, but I'd keep Riley and Callinan on the rookie list until we need them, and probably add Aaron Duncan.

Johncock and Reilly move to veterans list.

That gives us five picks, with the idea of using minimum two for mature age players such as Pfeiffer. Maric is the question mark in this - I wouldn't mind moving him and our third round to Richmond for their second and fourth round (which we would ontrade to Freo for a backup ruck) , but I think they'll end up trying to get Clark/Clarke/McIntosh.

Tippett is also a question mark, with Day the possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we have Triple M saying Doughty will be playing his last match this weekend and 5AA saying a veteran player wants to go on again!

So we have Triple M saying Doughty will be playing his last match this weekend and 5AA saying a veteran player wants to go on again!

A lesson oft repeated but seemingly never learned: 5AA rumours are accurate in the same way that a broken watch is accurate.

Young shouldn't be delisted. Another season, see if the body holds up and go from there. Looks a good negating defender, why delist a decent prospect this early in the piece?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back