2011 Official Trade/Delisting Discussion Thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm mad keen on picking up Goddard. Even if he does just rotate through the midfield, and chop and change with Hep. Takes pressure of Hep to spend too much time in the guts, and I'm sure he can learn a lot working with BJ.

Class is class, and Goddard is all that and more. If you're of the same opinion as I am, you say 2013-2016 is when our window looks most open, seems to be when a lot of the stars align (mostly because Watson is prime age, as youngsters start to blossom)

I went to school with BJ - he is more keen on winning a flag than making 800+ at GWS, so if we can put the right money up - I think he'll jump at the offer to have another crack at it.

As far as bait goes, I can only imagine St Kilda realistically have to be thinking 2015+ and as such will want some youth. I still think we are heavy in KPP stocks - I cant see the backline ever carrying Pears, Hooker, Carlisle and Hardingham as a 3rd man up tall/small. I was crazy about Pears, but I've come to see Hooker as the logical replacement for Fletcher. That patch of games (rounds 3-8) where he was fit and firing, he showed some amazing signs and is getting better and better at 1v1.

Maybe Pears & Someone, or Pears and a pick? Hate to see him go, but St Kilda wont be interested in mids, they are a dime a dozen, and we don't have a young STAR (bar Hep and Zaka, but we aren't moving them on).

Players like Goddard never leave their teams because it costs to much to get them across. (except Judd).

Historically it hasn't happened but with free agency it will begin to happen more, not saying everyones gonna switch clubs but it some big names will be moving around. I think someone will ditch at kilda, they've probably got one of the worst group of younger players in the league.
Give them 3 years when nds riewolt Hayes etc are totally past it and they will be back in spoon contention

He can play as an outside mid btw
Damn straight he can.

You guys are getting way too caught up in statistics and more importantly the wrong statistics. Who cares if he didn't finish with the most clearances at St Kilda? Everyone has said all year how badly we need another top line outside runner. Clearances and contested ball weren't issues until we lost Watson, Hocking and Lonergan. Outs like that will hurt any team.

Anyway the point of this discussion is not 'will Goddard get to Essendon' because we all know and acknowledge that it is extremely unlikely. The point is that we would be silly to say no to the Goddard trade which sees Ryder and pick 19 go the other way.

I agree with SJ. Goddard is an out and out star and quite regularly a match winner. To me he's exactly like what Hirdy was. Could play anywhere on the ground and often did. I've lost count how many times Hirdy won matches for us that were in the balance. When we were under the pump he would move into the middle and say 'shit just got real'. That's what Goddard does.

Yeah, and if you had to make a call and not whisper pointless "I know everything" posts you'd be among those 1000. No one pretends to know how things will actually turn out. Even among the coaches there is doubt, depending on trades and the like.

Most likely, yes.

All I'm saying is there's a few names floating around who aren't being talked about at all, and it wouldn't surprise me if at least one of them wasn't on the list next year.

I am hearing you...

We can trade someone like Ryder (packaging him with draft picks or other players) if it means bringing in someone who is an out and out midfielder...

ie. Ablett, Judd, Pendlebury, J. Selwood...

As our weakness is not having a blue chip midfielder...

Godard will improve us, but not to the extent where the above will. If we have one of the above players in the middle, we might even challenge for top 4. With Godard the improvement won't be as significant because he isn't consistently good at that level or he doesn't consistently play in the middle.

Obviously players like that don't move clubs that easily within Melbourne clubs. So only hope we have is tartgetting players who are playing with interstate clubs, who have potential to be like those player in two-three years time and onwards.

ie...Dangerfield, Gaff, Shuey etc

I know you hate it when I'm cryptic, but there's a pretty good chance that if I polled 1000 Essendon fans on BF, 0 would guess the final 'outs' from the list (delist + trade). It's not finalised, but there could be some major shock in a few weeks time.

hey mate I agree with this, there could be some shocks, all reports I have heard is that Hird has given lots of players 1 year to prove themselves under a proper structure. Obviously he wont announce the delistings until after trade week.

I remember talking to an individual who works at Essendon, last Grand final, about who would be delisted (i'll highlight to illustrate that the delistings were in relation to last years delistings not this year just for those few that are confused). She had heard rumours but would not discuss further. The delistings wont be named until after trade week, as per usual.

hey mate I agree with this, there could be some shocks, all reports I have heard is that Hird has given lots of players 1 year to prove themselves under a proper structure. Obviously he wont announce the delistings until after trade week.

I remember talking to an individual who works at Essendon, last Grand final, about who would be delisted. She had heard rumours but would not discuss further. The delistings wont be named until after trade week, as per usual.
Is this individual actually Dodoro, Hird, or anyone else involved in list machinations?
Or are they some other random who knows as much as you or I.

Is this individual actually Dodoro, Hird, or anyone else involved in list machinations?
Or are they some other random who knows as much as you or I.

read the 2nd paragraph, and your missing the point.

It was in relation to last years delistings? I have not discussed any delisting with any official Essendon official this year, I have no idea who will be delisted this year. I have an inkling but only from my own suspicions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would we be shocked if that happened though?
He's more an example of a player who hasn't been discussed for possible delisting. I wouldn't be shocked if he was delisted as I have very little regard for him as a footballer, but I do know other bombers fans who would.

I don't think much could shock me, only one of these (the big 10) going would - in order of how shocked I'd be:

Watson
Heppell
Hurley
Ryder
Stanton
Hocking
Zaharakis
Melksham
Pears
Crameri

+Fletcher (though he could retire)

Who haven't we talked about going that's not in that group, that might have currency?

Reimers, Lonergan, Hibberd, Hardingham, Howlett, Myers, Jetta, Dempsey, Carlisle?

I doubt Carlisle would be going, coaches seem to rate him.
I doubt Dempsey would have much currency after a knee-reco, and we rated him early in the year...
Jetta? I dunno.. he seemed to be rated and supposedly was very very sore towards then end, I think they might back him in for another year.
Hibberd probably wouldn't have much value.
I could see Hardingham possible getting us something, and I don't think he is untradable in the coaches' eyes.
Lonergan and Reimers might have some value and we could part with them.
Same with Myers and Howlett, though they seem to have been supported pretty well by the coaches.

H.Slattery, Welsh, NLM & Dyson will be on the trade table and if we cant find a suitable home for them then they will be delisted.

H.Slattery, Welsh, NLM & Dyson will be on the trade table and if we cant find a suitable home for them then they will be delisted.

Dyson won't be delisted. He will be traded, go to GWS, or remain a depth player.

oops don't forget Long, he will be delisted and rookied

No he won't. He'll stay on the main list, be picked up by another club, or finish his AFL career. He will not be on our rookie list next year.

Anyone interested in Liam Anthony from north? Hasn't been getting a game for most of the year and wouldn't cost too much to get. Can accumulate the ball and is an inside mid.

You meant we wont delist 4 AFL quality players all at once - almost a quarter of the games experience on our list - just because some of our supporters don't like them?

What a poorly run organisation!

I know right? Imagine not breaking contracts because certain fans don't like the players.

Add Hille who could retire.

I don't know him personally but I get the impression that if he felt retiring would be the best thing for the Essendon Football Club he would. If he doesn't retire then imho he believes he serves a greater purpose than in his own on field performance. Perhaps why Essendon tried so hard accommodating 3 ruckmen even at the expense of 4 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back