Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

Well when you're an average team to start with..
Yep and that is the thing. Average sides generally have average depth or young depth so it only takes injuries to a couple of key players to become exposed by it.

I’m happy to see Caddy develop as a forward but there is a part of me with his aerial prowess would love to see him in the midfield one day. There was also one particular game when I seen Baldwin play in the ones where I thought he helped us in this aspect. He took a lot of intercept marks between half back to the wing and it was quite noticeable to me.
Baldwin would be awesome roving in the midfield, maybe as a defensive midfielder?
I always see our lack of grunt in the midfield causing a flow on effect hammering our defence.
Baldwin at 90kg, 193cm tall, in the midfield taking intercept marks, has a football brain.
It's a shame he's had 2 ACLs. It's almost like we don't put more game time into him as he could be one injury away from ending his career.

Baldwin would be awesome roving in the midfield, maybe as a defensive midfielder?
I always see our lack of grunt in the midfield causing a flow on effect hammering our defence.
Baldwin at 90kg, 193cm tall, in the midfield taking intercept marks, has a football brain.
It's a shame he's had 2 ACLs. It's almost like we don't put more game time into him as he could be one injury away from ending his career.
Baldwin does not have the agility to play midfield from what I have seen. He is an up and down the line player IMO . Turning circle is more like an ocean liner.

I probably think this every year before we see what's really on offer, but our depth on paper really does look good this year around and behind the ball. The flip side is that most of this depth is relatively sight unseen at the top level.

Our three starting defensive talls are probably Mckay - Laverde - Ridley at the moment. I don't think this is the year that we see Hayes emerge but it should be the year that we see Reid come into the team permanently. Where Baldwin fits into a healthy defence is a bit of a mystery (I'd have him behind Reid on paper at the moment only because Reid has the point of difference through his height and reach) but he is likely the first cab off the rank to replace an injured tall and may even displace Laverde by the end of the year.

With the depth down back I'd like to see Weideman go back to playing forward in the VFL, likewise Cox to play forward of the ball. IMO one of our biggest and most perennial deficiencies is the inability to move the ball out of our back half when other teams block the corridor; I like the potential of Cox to be the mobile tall that can push up to the wing and take a mark. Wright - Jones - Cox wouldn't be a bad forward trio, haven't really had anything like it since 2017 with Joe - Hooker - Stewart which I thought worked well.

For the last 6-7 (probs more) seasons I’ve been really vocal about our teams lack of running power. For the first time in a long time I reckon we can start to see the needle turn. Some really elite runners on our list now are:
Redman
Langford
Martin
Durham
Duursma (apparently)
(Wildcard Cox)

They’re tall, skillful lads that cover the ground really well. I think the next issue will be genuine leg speed rather than endurance… but hopefully at least we don’t see the fade-outs this season.

I probably think this every year before we see what's really on offer, but our depth on paper really does look good this year around and behind the ball. The flip side is that most of this depth is relatively sight unseen at the top level.

Our three starting defensive talls are probably Mckay - Laverde - Ridley at the moment. I don't think this is the year that we see Hayes emerge but it should be the year that we see Reid come into the team permanently. Where Baldwin fits into a healthy defence is a bit of a mystery (I'd have him behind Reid on paper at the moment only because Reid has the point of difference through his height and reach) but he is likely the first cab off the rank to replace an injured tall and may even displace Laverde by the end of the year.

With the depth down back I'd like to see Weideman go back to playing forward in the VFL, likewise Cox to play forward of the ball. IMO one of our biggest and most perennial deficiencies is the inability to move the ball out of our back half when other teams block the corridor; I like the potential of Cox to be the mobile tall that can push up to the wing and take a mark. Wright - Jones - Cox wouldn't be a bad forward trio, haven't really had anything like it since 2017 with Joe - Hooker - Stewart which I thought worked well.

I try not to fall for this every year! Every pre-season I can’t find a weakness on paper

The tall defenders was not the problem last year. Sure, they are slightly upgraded but until the midfield buys into the change that is needed, it'll be class as usual imho

The tall defenders was not the problem last year. Sure, they are slightly upgraded but until the midfield buys into the change that is needed, it'll be class as usual imho
Slightly upgraded is a bit of an undersell. No, they were not the full problem last year but we did not have anybody with the size and strength to play on the league's biggest and most physical forwards and McKay is an immediate cure. BZT and Laverde are both sized for the third tall, at times last year we had to rely on them to take the oppo's best forward and their resting ruck.

every little bit helps.
McKay wasn't able to stop waves against North, so can't expect him to be Fletch/SOS/Scarlett/Rance rolled into one.
but he helps. Bit of a shame we lost Zerk as i would have had him 2nd tall defender, but we have some options there with Reid ideally getting on the park or Weideman perhaps.

defence between the arcs will be key, and likely why we're seeing Davey and Martin spend time with defence during training. i dont expect to see them line up at HBF, but can see them being the ones running defensively along with Durham...and ideally our inside midfield!

let's be honest though. our season was well and truly alive until the last 2 games, then 80% of the side looked to go on holiday.
3 goals against the pies
5.6 v hogan's 9.1
that's 4 walls improvements, rather than who's on the park.

brightside, that set of results landed us Caddy.
but it should be the biggest deficiency focus.

the 8 will get tight with the Dogs, Crows, and possibly even the suns and freo trying to get in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorting out our small forwards should be top of the list this off season. Who can stay fit and who can step up to the level should be priority for the list management team.
Let’s face it, sooner or later we need someone at the AMT, Toby Greene, Bobby Hill, Charlie Cameron, Cyril level

They need to be not just good, but maybe the best.

Let’s face it, sooner or later we need someone at the AMT, Toby Greene, Bobby Hill, Charlie Cameron, Cyril level

They need to be not just good, but maybe the best.
yeah, thinking if we do go a star small fwd early in the draft then we close shop on the mature guys we've filled in with. we do need to play them though

yeah, thinking if we do go a star small fwd early in the draft then we close shop on the mature guys we've filled in with. we do need to play them though
Yeah I’m actually still hopeful that Tex Wanganeen could have that X factor if he can stay on the park.

Feel like both Daveys are a chance too of really making it but a couple of years off. One will make it at half back though, surely.

Yeah I’m actually still hopeful that Tex Wanganeen could have that X factor if he can stay on the park.

Feel like both Daveys are a chance too of really making it but a couple of years off. One will make it at half back though, surely.
I want to see a kicking half back in the seniors as well. Hoping Archie Roberts can become this guy, or Martin continues to build on his game on the weekend.

I want to see a kicking half back in the seniors as well. Hoping Archie Roberts can become this guy, or Martin continues to build on his game on the weekend.
Or Ridley can actually get on the park :cool:

That’s why it’s an 8 year plan, there’s a fair bit of drafting to be done until we find enough players who can keep up with a side like port

The whole list bar a very small handful will be here from todays list in 8 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would throw everything at Harley Reid. You get nowhere in this league without superstars and his value may be the lowest it ever will be after this year.

Of course that’s a pipe dream. We will probably finish lower-mid table.
They would be asking for Nic Martin and draft picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back