2012 List Management - Drafts, Trading and Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree. I think people seem to think that Dawes will get the best defender every week and let Jones get the second best, and that will solve our problems. Dawes may do that, but he won't be even a good player taking defender #1 every week. He's just a stopgap to allow Jones to play better - and a bloody expensive one at that. It's just simply not worth it.

We don't have many players even getting 1 goal per week at the moment

I'm not going to die in the ditch over weather the club gets Dawes or not

I'm happy for McCartney Fantasia + Dalrymple to decide that

I don't always agree with you Acker but I do on this.

Nice thread on moneyball and the Oakland A's by the way. :thumbsu:

I understand that, but throwing money at Dawes isn't going to fix that, it's just not the right choice at the moment.

I'm happy to leave it to them as well and in the end I'll respect their judgement all the same no matter what, but it's still fun to debate.

Realfooty reports tonight (Quayle/Pierik):
  • The Richmond-GWS-WB deal could still be on with us getting Martin (MD1), Pick 9 and Jed Anderson. We would lose picks 5 & 6 to GWS. This makes a little more sense and I would find it slightly more acceptable than the earlier version reported (i.e. no Jed) if the reports on Jed Anderson stack up. How good is he ... does anyone know? However Richmond are still making like bandits on that deal.
There's no further mention of Viney but I have always felt he's a strong chance to slide to Melbourne's 2nd round pick so we may have to plan for that eventuality. I'd be rapt if GC did bid for him though. Whichever way it goes we'll know for sure next week.

So in that situation it is:

WB give: pick 5 and 6
WB get: MD pick 1, pick 9, Jed Anderson (worth around pick 20)

Rich give: pick 9
Rich get: Dom Tyson

GWS give: MD pick 1, Jed Anderson, Dom Tyson
GWS get: pick 5 and 6

Seems to me again, that we are effectively trading pick 9 to Richmond for Tyson! Why would we do that.

Would think that the Tiges would need to throw in a player for GWS, i.e. Robin Nahas, or maybe a swap of their second pick (pick 32ish) for GWS' third rounder (pick 45ish).

Exciting trade for us I reckon.

If his knees were fine he wouldn't be sliding to bottom of 1st round. Having LARS was the dumbest decision this kid will ever likely make in his life and whoever was advising him at time is an idiot who should be kept away from future AFL talent. LARS surgery is a crock and just when he is getting to prime age experience he is highly likely to do that knee again. Should have fixed it properly while he was young as it wouldn't have affected him being drafted.

How do you know he is sliding?? The draft hasn't happened yet. It only takes one team to take him early on.

I can sort of see why it makes sense for GWS ...

They would get pick 6 for Martin/MD1 if we dealt direct.
They are losing Tyson anyway and Richmond can only offer pick 9 ATM, so getting pick 5 is a big improvement.

So for this upgrade from pick 9 to pick 5 they are giving up Jed Anderson who they could keep (unlike MD1) but perhaps they don't rate him that highly, or he is surplus to needs in the context of the others on their playing list. This leaves them with a very strong hand in a very strong draft - picks 1, 5 and 6.

Obviously if they can extract something else from Richmond that would be even better for them (... or us!)

I'd love Eric Wallace as an international rookie. I'm also resigned to having to cough up our second rounder for Hunter if we're forced by a bid.
International Rookies seem to make sense to me. Especially if we have the money. I don't think we will. The club has been making sounds to suggest they wont go with a second rounder, and I think other clubs wont want to risk a first rounder for him. (Which unless GWS, GC or Melb bid with their second rounders it will have to be that)

So it'd take a reasonably attractive trade to pry him away? Rumour has it we are keen (again)
I don't think Howard is the kind of player we want to trade. He seems to complement our skill set already pretty well, but if you are willing to let go of your first rounder we'd probably party. Of course that's very unlikely.

Realfooty reports tonight (Quayle/Pierik):
  • The Richmond-GWS-WB deal could still be on with us getting Martin (MD1), Pick 9 and Jed Anderson. We would lose picks 5 & 6 to GWS. This makes a little more sense and I would find it slightly more acceptable than the earlier version reported (i.e. no Jed) if the reports on Jed Anderson stack up.

Well I hope this is true then. Jed Anderson could be a gun and would have probably been a top 15/20 pick.
Obviously Richmond would have to give something else but Martin, Anderson and Stringer/Garlett/Plowman/Whoever slips would be a nice package for picks 5 and 6

I can sort of see why it makes sense for GWS ...

They would get pick 6 for Martin/MD1 if we dealt direct.
They are losing Tyson anyway and Richmond can only offer pick 9 ATM, so getting pick 5 is a big improvement.

So for this upgrade from pick 9 to pick 5 they are giving up Jed Anderson who they could keep (unlike MD1) but perhaps they don't rate him that highly, or he is surplus to needs in the context of the others on their playing list. This leaves them with a very strong hand in a very strong draft - picks 1, 5 and 6.

Obviously if they can extract something else from Richmond that would be even better for them (... or us!)
I think if GWS can get Nahas out of Richmond, it'll be a done deal. Win-win-win for everyone involved.

GWS are getting screwed in that trade, but it would be massive for us. I still don't particularly want to help Richmond get Tyson (Tyson, Martin, Deledio, Cotchin, Maric...). If GWS are happy with trading out Tyson, Anderson and MD1 for 5 and 6, why can't we do that without Richmond involved? It is exactly the same deal for GWS - we just get Tyson instead of pick 9. We can even throw in Markovic. Say what you like about him, he's an ok stopgap who will be helpful for GWS right now.

Surely you can sympathise with our lack of success. Help turn the tide whilst you rebuild allow us the pleasure of belting Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, West Coast ect.

Martin looks like quite the player. If GC and Melbourne are interviewing him, it must make GWS have more power at the trade table.

Surely you can sympathise with our lack of success. Help turn the tide whilst you rebuild allow us the pleasure of belting Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, West Coast ect.

Martin looks like quite the player. If GC and Melbourne are interviewing him, it must make GWS have more power at the trade table.
I certainly have nothing against Richmond, not at all; my point is simply that if we rate Tyson over whoever's available at pick 9, we could better the deal for ourselves. Depending on our rating of Tyson, I can see us potentially pushing to make it a straight GWS & 'Dogs trade.

That said, I'm indifferent; either trade works for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(I know I'm going to regret including this metric but...) On a stupidity rating of 1-10, what about the following?

- We decide in principle to trade Lake, who looks to be bound to Hawks for pick 20ish.
- The current deal deal is Picks 5 and 6 for MD1, Anderson, Pick 9.
- We then offer Pick 6 and Pick 20ish to GWS for MD1 and Anderson alone (which according to what everyone has said is actually about market value anyway) OR we just flat out trade Lake to GWS with Pick 6 for MD1 and Anderson.

Can anyone tell I'm in the 'keep Pick 5 at all costs and use it on Stringer/best available' camp? Think the difference between Pick 5 and 9 might be wide enough that it hurts us this year, prefer to get 'the one we want' rather than 'whatever is left' of these best guys. Also not keen on facilitating anyone else, Richmond can deal with them on their own.

I certainly have nothing against Richmond, not at all; my point is simply that if we rate Tyson over whoever's available at pick 9, we could better the deal for ourselves. Depending on our rating of Tyson, I can see us potentially pushing to make it a straight GWS & 'Dogs trade.

I'm pretty sure that that thought has occurred to our list management staff also Dannn. If they rate Tyson as better than anyone we are likely to get at #9 we would cut Richmond out and take Tyson ourselves. I think that there is something else going on here - either we don't want Tyson for some reason, or Richmond are going to offer up something more to GWS than #9.

I can see your point. Why let Richmond get Tyson, we could grab him ourselves.

Tyson however specifically wants to come to Richmond. He has a poster of Brett Deledio on his wall in his Melbourne house right now I would say. It's vacant because he's stuck in that s**t-heap Western Sydney.

What's helping your deal get over the line with GWS is our Pick 9. You are not willing to give up Pick 5 and 6 just for Jack Martin and Jed Anderson, but if Pick 9 comes along aswell you're riding into the sunset on a stallion at this trade period. It means you get three quality kids. Under no circumstance though could you get Jack Martin, Jed Anderson and Dom Tyson for Pick 5 and 6. GWS won't allow that to happen, I do think we need to sweeten the deal for GWS too. The way in which it will happen has probably been suggested, but I doubt anyone will know until Richmond throw it on the table.

The deal as it stands. The Bulldogs get GOOD compensation. Richmond get VERY GOOD compensation for what they give up. GWS get NOT GOOD compensation.

So we're at very good, they are not good, we need to give something to them. I wouldn't be surprised if we threw in a player. But which player remains to be seen.

I would say we have Knights, Edwards, King and Nahas as small forwards, along with Cotch, Lids and Martin who rest forward, we'll probably offer a small forward. Hopefully not Edwards.

I've now reached the point of "I don't care what happens, as long as we get Stringer" :p. So many draft/trade scenarios, why wont time hurry up?!

You are going to be unbearable if we don't land Stringer - Red Cards flying everywhere. Ahh the impatience of youth....

I've now reached the point of "I don't care what happens, as long as we get Stringer" :p. So many draft/trade scenarios, why wont time hurry up?!
I'm in this boat.

I'm not keen on selling the farm to GWS tp get Martin, the kid looks about 50kg soaking wet. Do we need another player on our list who will take a few years to beef up?

Stringer looks ready to hit the ground running.

You are going to be unbearable if we don't land Stringer - Red Cards flying everywhere. Ahh the impatience of youth....
It shall be hell on Earth (or at least, hell on BigFooty).
Seconded! Which letter do you want to have painted on your navel come Round 1, 2013? 'S'? 'T'? Would be awkward if both of us chose the same one!
I'll be the S, you can be the T. Who wants to be the RINGER?

Stringer just got a perfect score in the'Brad Johnson' elite kicking test. Hopefully he is still there at pick#9.
As it stands currently, I sure hope he isn't still there at pick 9! :D

Seconded! Which letter do you want to have painted on your navel come Round 1, 2013? 'S'? 'T'? Would be awkward if both of us chose the same one!
You can both have "R". But if Jarrad Grant finally becomes a star, one of you will have to drop out.

Stringer just got a perfect score in the'Brad Johnson' elite kicking test. Hopefully he is still there at pick#9.

Don't say that - you're just going to make them ^ worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back