2013 Free Agency List

Remove this Banner Ad

Only if the AFL make him an "ambassador".

Even then, I suspect Buddy's ego is too big for Brisbane town. He wants to be the LeBron of AFL. And King James sure ain't moving back to Cleveland.

We do have a Miami not far away though.

Where your club's free agents are at
May 21, 2013
Nick Bowen

BRISBANE LIONS
Free agents:Simon Black (unrestricted)
Jonathan Brown (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Joel Patfull (restricted)

The Lions are sitting pretty, having already re-signed the cornerstones of their defence, Daniel Merrett (before the AFL's official free agency list was released in March) and Joel Patfull. Despite his promising return from a knee injury, Brownlow medallist Simon Black is likely to retire, but skipper Jonathan Brown remains a chance to play on for the Lions in 2014.

And the rest:

ADELAIDE
Free agents:
Jason Porplyzia (unrestricted)
Ben Rutten (unrestricted)
Scott Thompson (restricted)
Re-signed:
Brent Reilly (unrestricted, 2015)
Nathan van Berlo (restricted, 2016)

Carlton
Free agents:
Heath Scotland (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Andrew Carrazzo (unrestricted)

COLLINGWOOD
Free agents:
Alan Didak (unrestricted)
Ben Johnson (unrestricted)
Nick Maxwell (restricted)
Dale Thomas (restricted)
Alan Toovey (unrestricted)

ESSENDON
Free agents:
Dustin Fletcher (unrestricted)
David Hille (unrestricted)
Nathan Lovett-Murray (unrestricted)
Jobe Watson (restricted)
Jason Winderlich (unrestricted)

FREMANTLE
Free agents:
None
Re-signed:
Michael Johnson (unrestricted, 2015)

GEELONG
Free agents:
Paul Chapman (unrestricted)
Joel Corey (unrestricted)
Corey Enright (unrestricted)
Josh Hunt (unrestricted)
Mathew Stokes (unrestricted)

HAWTHORN
Free agents:
Max Bailey (unrestricted)
Xavier Ellis (unrestricted)
Lance Franklin (restricted
Brent Guerra (unrestricted)
Michael Osborne (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Luke Hodge (unrestricted, 2014)
Sam Mitchell (unrestricted, term unknown)

MELBOURNE
Free agents:
Aaron Davey (restricted)
Colin Sylvia (unrestricted)

NORTH MELBOURNE
Free agents:
Michael Firrito (unrestricted)
Brent Harvey (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Scott McMahon (unrestricted, 2015)
Drew Petrie (unrestricted, 2015)

PORT ADELAIDE
Free agents:
Kane Cornes (restricted)
Brett Ebert (unrestricted)
Tom Logan (unrestricted)
Matt Thomas (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Alipate Carlile (restricted, 2017)

RICHMOND
Free agents:
Daniel Jackson (unrestricted)
Luke McGuane (unrestricted)
Chris Newman (unrestricted)
Shane Tuck (unrestricted)
Matthew White (unrestricted)

ST KILDA
Free agents:
Jason Blake (unrestricted)
Nick Dal Santo (restricted)
Lenny Hayes (unrestricted)
Justin Koschitzke (unrestricted)
Stephen Milne (unrestricted)

SYDNEY SWANS
Free agents:
Jude Bolton (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Adam Goodes (unrestricted, 2014)
Nick Malceski (unrestricted, 2014)

WEST COAST
Free agents:
Dean Cox (unrestricted)
Andrew Embley (unrestricted)
Darren Glass (unrestricted)
Mark LeCras (restricted)
Mark Nicoski (unrestricted)
Adam Selwood (unrestricted)
Re-signed:
Beau Waters (unrestricted, 2015)

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Free agents:
Dylan Addison (unrestricted)
Adam Cooney (restricted)
Daniel Cross (unrestricted)
Daniel Giansiracusa (unrestricted)
Dale Morris (restricted)

No chance at Daisy, would be too costly in trades and coin. Would be great is Mitchell or another seasoned hand could be nabbed.

I'd be more than comfortable to put Le Cras in our top 3 earners at the club if that is what it took to get him. Same with Daisy (although I think he would get mega bucks elsewhere which we can't match).

Prompted by media talk, I have started turning my mind to whether Dal Santo and Cooney would be good fits for us. Both would add class and depth to our midfield and would be a point of difference compared to the 4Rs and Moloney.

Cooney is younger but has injury question marks. Dal Santo is older but perhaps more reliable in a physical sense.

I'd be more than comfortable to put Le Cras in our top 3 earners at the club if that is what it took to get him. Same with Daisy (although I think he would get mega bucks elsewhere which we can't match).

Prompted by media talk, I have started turning my mind to whether Dal Santo and Cooney would be good fits for us. Both would add class and depth to our midfield and would be a point of difference compared to the 4Rs and Moloney.

Cooney is younger but has injury question marks. Dal Santo is older but perhaps more reliable in a physical sense.

I wouldn't be going for Cooney. Injured his hammy and will miss 2 weeks.

Dal Santo is one I would go for if we can't get Thomas/Le Cras or Buddy. He would make our midfield look more potent.

Wonder if Daisy's injury issues this season might mean he's more likely to stay at Collingwood. Would teams be more hesitant to offer him big money given he's missed most of the season with an injury?

Didn't he sign a short term contract last time because he'd had an ordinary season and wanted to increase his value before signing a longer term contract?

How does that impact on him in 2014?

It doesn't, was hinting at the fact that he is injury prone.

I'm not a fan on recruiting injury prone players, more so when they are getting older. Cooney will be 29 next year. Whilst he has returned to some good form this year, I'd rather us target someone who has proven to be a bit more durable over the years.

Didn't he sign a short term contract last time because he'd had an ordinary season and wanted to increase his value before signing a longer term contract?

The fact that he would become a restricted free agent after the 2 year contract probably had something to do with it as well.

I remember earlier this year he put off contract negotiations so he could get into better form before opening negotiations.

I'm not a fan on recruiting injury prone players, more so when they are getting older. Cooney will be 29 next year. Whilst he has returned to some good form this year, I'd rather us target someone who has proven to be a bit more durable over the years.

I don't have a problem with that. I'm just not sure that a twinged hammy is that big a deal, unless it is related to his ongoing knee problems (which he has reportedly sorted).

6 months ago, I would have agreed on Cooney. I still have my reservations but he was playing pretty reasonable footy this year before this injury.

At the end of the day, he will cost us salary and a list space if we get him. The fact that we're not giving up draft picks means that I put him in the same bracket as Moloney - risky but potentially worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that he would become a restricted free agent after the 2 year contract probably had something to do with it as well.

I remember earlier this year he put off contract negotiations so he could get into better form before opening negotiations.

Karma?

I don't have a problem with that. I'm just not sure that a twinged hammy is that big a deal, unless it is related to his ongoing knee problems (which he has reportedly sorted).

6 months ago, I would have agreed on Cooney. I still have my reservations but he was playing pretty reasonable footy this year before this injury.

At the end of the day, he will cost us salary and a list space if we get him. The fact that we're not giving up draft picks means that I put him in the same bracket as Moloney - risky but potentially worth it.

I wouldn't be 100% against getting Cooney, I just think there are others out their with a bit less of a risk. :thumbsu:

Lecras not someone I had considered but it actually makes a lot of sense.

We just need goals. We really need goals. And I don't really know who on our current list is going to step up and provide them. Even the young forwards we are developing don't seem like big goal kickers.

Lecras not someone I had considered but it actually makes a lot of sense.

We just need goals. We really need goals. And I don't really know who on our current list is going to step up and provide them. Even the young forwards we are developing don't seem like big goal kickers.

Agreed. Le Cras should probably be our #1 target if you ask me. Wouldn't have pay him no where as near as what we would with Buddy. Would be 28 next year so you'd think we could get at least 3 quality years of football from him.

Yeah I mentioned earlier we should go for Cooney and Dal Santo. Would be perfect and would give our younger mids a bit more time to polish up on their skills before taking over. Would also allow us to take some KPPs in the draft to develop in time for our mids to be around the 26 age mark. Let's face it with the current mids we have I just can't see us being a top 4 midfield in the future. We just need more time for our outside mids to develop. The 3-Rs are work horses but certainly no match winners, although Rich could be the closest we have just not consistent.

Unless we were pushing for a flag, which we're not, I can't for the life of me work out why a Cooney or Dal Santo would even contemplate joining us. The only reason guys of this ilk would leave their clubs is for the very reasons Goddard joined Essendon and Lake joining Hawthorn...their respective sides are squarely in the premiership window, something their previous club weren't. Personally I seethe Moloney situation completely different to that of Goddard, Lake and even Dal Santo or Cooney.

Why would either want to come up here to mentor 'our' mids when they could remain loyal one-club players and mentor their very own young players at their existing clubs?:confused: So unless, Dal Santo or Cooney have had a massive falling out at their clubs, like Moloney had, I personally think it is pointless in discussing either as viable options for the club as I just can't see it happening at all.

We are looking to spend 100% salary cap. Money can make anything happen, just look at Mitch Clark. We have a few more contracts to renew but I doubt their pay increase will be an increase of 5% total team salary. Black is moving on as well and Brown would be put on the Vets list. We will have quite a large sum to sign players up on.

Unless we were pushing for a flag, which we're not, I can't for the life of me work out why a Cooney or Dal Santo would even contemplate joining us. The only reason guys of this ilk would leave their clubs is for the very reasons Goddard joined Essendon and Lake joining Hawthorn...their respective sides are squarely in the premiership window, something their previous club weren't. Personally I seethe Moloney situation completely different to that of Goddard, Lake and even Dal Santo or Cooney.

Why would either want to come up here to mentor 'our' mids when they could remain loyal one-club players and mentor their very own young players at their existing clubs?:confused: So unless, Dal Santo or Cooney have had a massive falling out at their clubs, like Moloney had, I personally think it is pointless in discussing either as viable options for the club as I just can't see it happening at all.

I would have thought any discussion on free agents would be predicated on the basis that we could "sell" the club as a destination. Whether that is because we can offer more opportunity or because we're more progressed in the rebuild than their existing clubs, obviously any signing of a player (trade or free agent) requires the player to want to come to the club.

It is a fair point that you make but I don't think that it means that we don't discuss it. In any event, I can think of several reasons why a player might move - salary, contract length, a fresh start, greater commercial opportunities, a preferred on field role.

Of course, if Brisbane and Hawthorn are offering the same contract and Hawthorn are the favourites for the 2014 flag, then they'll probably win out. But things are never that black and white.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back