Competitions 2014 Ladder Prediction

Remove this Banner Ad

Give me Bucks all day long mate. Just lost waaaay too much talent over the past 3 years and don't think that the players believe in Bucks.

Think the pressure will build and build and he will 'step down' the first week after the season ends.

Yeah 'stepping down' is the only scenario I can imagine. Impossible for me to envision Eddie swinging the axe mid-season.

If the Tigers are sitting 7-9 or even 8-8 after round 17, I reckon they'll give Hardwick the arse. He's been there for plenty of years with an experienced squad and they're still yet to even win a final. Time's up.

If the Tigers are sitting 7-9 or even 8-8 after round 17, I reckon they'll give Hardwick the arse. He's been there for plenty of years with an experienced squad and they're still yet to even win a final. Time's up.

Yeah I could see the coaching scenario happening. I just think the Tigers will be a quality side this year and push for top 4.

Yeah I could see the coaching scenario happening. I just think the Tigers will be a quality side this year and push for top 4.

I'm completely undecided on them. Anywhere between 4th and 11th is possible. A lot of quality sides who have genuine top 8 claims these days. If I've got a gun to my head is back Richmond to finish just above all of Adelaide, Gold Coast, Geelong and Freo and snare 5th behind Sydney, Port, Hawthorn and North.

As we've seen over the last 30 years though, Richmond almost never meet pre-season expectations.

Malthouse clearly has a cloak of invincibility despite his and his team's woeful performances.

Buckley has Eddie well and truly testing his gag reflex under the desk.

Hird still has a job despite completely ruining his club. Will team performance even matter if they've stuck with him up until now?

If Hardwick misses the 8 he's gone, it's as simple as that.

Anything less than a prelim for B Scott will be considered a failure.

My money's on Hardwick AFC979810. You?
Hird - once players are suspended.

Well huludicidal - it appears that you should have jumped on my odds of $5.50 for Hardwick.

Starting to get really interesting.

Hardwick would be the coach most under the pump. Bucks is sitting pretty at 4-2 (although his wins are hardly anything to get too excited about beating Brisbane, Carlton, St.Kilda & Essendon). You would think Brad Scott needs to win 2 out of his next 3 against Ess/Freo/Coll.

Would have the odds like this now:

Hardwick - $1.90
Malthouse - $2.90
Scott - $3.10
Bucks - $6.50
Hird - $9.00 (the saga keeps dragging on and on and on - so there is too much time for a different coach to get fired).

Well huludicidal - it appears that you should have jumped on my odds of $5.50 for Hardwick.

Starting to get really interesting.

Hardwick would be the coach most under the pump. Bucks is sitting pretty at 4-2 (although his wins are hardly anything to get too excited about beating Brisbane, Carlton, St.Kilda & Essendon). You would think Brad Scott needs to win 2 out of his next 3 against Ess/Freo/Coll.

Would have the odds like this now:

Hardwick - $1.90
Malthouse - $2.90
Scott - $3.10
Bucks - $6.50
Hird - $9.00 (the saga keeps dragging on and on and on - so there is too much time for a different coach to get fired).

Yeah Hardwick appears cooked. I agree with all those new odds except Buckley - he's safe now. $15.00 I'd have him at. I think he's finally worked the whole coaching caper out, plus the youth on their list is excellent.

I'd say Leppitsch is at greater risk than Bucks. I'd have him at $10.00.

It's pretty much a 3 horse race though unless something drastic happens. Hardwick / Malthouse / B Scott. I still like Hardwick to go first, but s**t, if Carlton don't get a win soon it's pretty untenable for Mick. They're not even trying.

I agree with all those new odds except Buckley - he's safe now. $15.00 I'd have him at. I think he's finally worked the whole coaching caper out, plus the youth on their list is excellent.

Not so sure. They were smashed by both us (final score was flattering) and Geelong. 3 of their wins have come against teams with a combined record of 4 wins and 14 losses.

Don't forget last year they were 4-2 and finished the year 11-11 in 11th spot. I am expecting an even bigger slide this year.

I think if he makes it to the bye - he rides out the season.

This is a coach who is a top 10 coach in the history of the AFL/VFL who has coached in 2 grand finals in the last 6 years.

Yeah he's not making the bye. I really don't hold much hope that he'll make Round 9. He's lost the players. 34 tackles against the Cats is a laughable effort when you know your coaches head is on the block. Mick and the Carlton fans both deserve better. The situation is completely untenable and if he doesn't get sacked by Tuesday, he'll surely get sacked the following week once the Swans beat them by 80 plus.

And then no doubt the Blues will come out against us breathing fire under a caretaker coach. :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah he's not making the bye. I really don't hold much hope that he'll make Round 9. He's lost the players. 34 tackles against the Cats is a laughable effort when you know your coaches head is on the block. Mick and the Carlton fans both deserve better. The situation is completely untenable and if he doesn't get sacked by Tuesday, he'll surely get sacked the following week once the Swans beat them by 80 plus.

And then no doubt the Blues will come out against us breathing fire under a caretaker coach. :eek::eek::eek:

I understand your point and wouldn't be surprised if he was gone as the external pressure is becoming ridiculous.

Its just something that seems silly by the club in using Malthouse as the scapegoat. Its always easy to sack someone - the tough and more important thing is finding someone better.

They are at a crossroads. Malthouse has been there before - exactly 10 years ago.

In 2004 Collingwood under Malthouse finished 13th with 8 wins and 14 losses.
In 2014 Carlton under Malthouse finished 13th with 7 wins, 14 losses and 1 draw.

In 2005 Collingwood under Malthouse were sitting at 1 win 7 losses after Round 8.
In 2015 Carlton under Malthouse are sitting at 1 win 7 losses after Round 8.

The best thing Carlton could have done is get a strong CEO in place and back Malthouse all the way in. Give Malthouse a 2 year extension. He wants to coach and he hasn't lost it. Allow him to rebuild for 2 years and give him the target of finals in 2017. Keep clearing out the deadwood.

IMO - the only acceptable reason for firing him is if they can lure a premiership coach (Worsfold/Bomber Thompson). This then automatically buys them another year or two down the bottom to rebuild and reduces media pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back