2015/16 Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire those who are still holding out hope on CEY. Just like those wrt Lyons, Grigg and shaw. If you're older than 22 and haven't cracked 30 or 40 games (sub games not included) then there's not a lot of hope IMO. Doesn't mean I don't hope for the best from these guys, but clearly the selection panel hasn't seen enough despite having had enough time to look for them to be regular starters.

Michael Barlow?

Michael Barlow?
Big difference though is Barlow who was drafted as a 22 year old with very good VFL credits to his name whereas CEY, Grigg and Lyons road to the AFL was the more "conventional" way, Barlow more or less established himself immediately and has been a regular best 22 player ever since apart from a period when he was injured, none of Grigg, Lyons or CEY have seriously looked like establishing themselves as best 22 players as yet.

I admire those who are still holding out hope on CEY. Just like those wrt Lyons, Grigg and shaw. If you're older than 22 and haven't cracked 30 or 40 games (sub games not included) then there's not a lot of hope IMO. Doesn't mean I don't hope for the best from these guys, but clearly the selection panel hasn't seen enough despite having had enough time to look for them to be regular starters.

The development of CEY and his upward has been different to Lyons, I want to see what he does this year before writing him off.

I guess it comes down to how highly someone rates the selectors. Or whether one considers that there's a bias in their selection preferences and whether that may result in a reasonably talented player not getting as many games as they should have. But the statistics aren't in their favour, that's for sure.

I haven't had a dig at VB for a while. His game against freo was very good including excellent disposal. If he can produce that kind of form in the season proper. He is easily best 22.

He was certainly better and worthy of holding his spot. However, his lack of ability to turn and change direction was shown up a couple of times, so I don't think he's easily best 22. It is also NAB with nothing on the line, so the intensity and pressure isn't there. But the signs are promising, but it's worth remembering that they were last year also. I think he's locked into the 22 for round 1, but not by much of a margin.

Big difference though is Barlow who was drafted as a 22 year old with very good VFL credits to his name whereas CEY, Grigg and Lyons road to the AFL was the more "conventional" way, Barlow more or less established himself immediately and has been a regular best 22 player ever since apart from a period when he was injured, none of Grigg, Lyons or CEY have seriously looked like establishing themselves as best 22 players as yet.

I thought CEY was pretty close last year, but a 15 gamer simply cannot afford a couple of quiet games at our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely, these days, that would be a breach of contract? Wouldn't they be required to maintain optimum health?

Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke binds to haemoglobin in preference to oxygen. As a result chronic smokers usually have increased red cell counts as their kidneys produce more EPO to make up for the useless ones bound to CO.

The half life of CO in the blood is about 5 hours. If players who are chronic smokers stop smoking about 24 hours before a match this frees up all the CO bound haemoglobin for transporting oxygen.

This has the same effect as injecting EPO or other blood doping measures.

Smoking wrecks you after many years of abuse but for 20 year old men it has the potential for boosting performance if used in this type of way.

Someone here mentioned he still smokes. Not sure if he does or doesn't, but if so he'll never make it
Disgusting habit that a lot of people that age are starting to bring back. All the warnings are white noise now. Tremendously stupid in this day and age to even think about starting up an addiction like that. When something stops being popular you bet your backside a 20 something year old with a chip on their shoulder will be onto it.

Should be slapped from pillar to post. If you want to smoke, fine, but you're not doing your career any favours.

Carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke binds to haemoglobin in preference to oxygen. As a result chronic smokers usually have increased red cell counts as their kidneys produce more EPO to make up for the useless ones bound to CO.
The half life of CO in the blood is about 5 hours. If players who are chronic smokers stop smoking about 24 hours before a match this frees up all the CO bound haemoglobin for transporting oxygen.
This has the same effect as injecting EPO or other blood doping measures.
Smoking wrecks you after many years of abuse but for 20 year old men it has the potential for boosting performance if used in this type of way.

Well, that's interesting. So, you're saying that we should call WADA in, rather than the AFC medical officer?;)

I'm hoping he can regain a little more of his accuracy in front of goals mainly.

Could always push up higher with the number of forward options we've got but I prefer him to be the target to kick to on the lead inside 50.

I'm hoping he can regain a little more of his accuracy in front of goals mainly.

Could always push up higher with the number of forward options we've got but I prefer him to be the target to kick to on the lead inside 50.
I'm expecting an improvement from last year as the knee issue should be largely gone.
I'd love to see him move towards 3 goals a game, as you said an improvement is accuracy should help this given he already averages nearly 5 shots on goal a game.
I'm worried that his obvious footy smarts get used up the field and we end up seeing an increase in touches and less goals.

That is obviously a selfish view, only because Walker in the forward 60m is much more exciting that on the half forward flank.

so what are our expectations of Walker this year?

move of the same? has he peaked? will he have a goal focus or a possesion focus?
I believe this year will be his best to date. I dont think he has peaked! I think we will see 80+ goals out of him this year and our forwardline will be dominant this year leading the way tex and betts and looking forward to seeing menzal.

I think Tex could kick quite a high number of goals but I question whether we'll see him hit a 70+ mark given the scoring avenues we have up forward -Betts, Jenkins, Lynch, Cameron, Menzel + midfielders/others who rotate through the forward line. We've now basically got a full forward line (if Menzel does play in the 22) and if Tex is kicking 70+ then you'd imagine we'd be a little underwhelmed with the output of others.

I just love looking back at 2011/2012 where he kicked 32.13 and 63.35. Last year he went at 59.45 missing some pretty simple shots at times so I'd love for him to become a little more of a sharp shooter with the chances he gets (not that he's bad at all, I sorta just expect every shot he has to go through so it's always a little disappointing when he misses :p).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back