2015 draftees vs 2016 draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

Weitering wasn't as ready last year as we would have liked him to be.
He's a professional young man that has just only just turned 20, but maybe he may have thought things may have been just a little easier than they were.

Has all the tools to be a wonderful CHF and I think that's where he'll end up.
If not, maybe he didn't reach the heights we thought he could/would and in that case, McGrath may be ultimately seen as having been the better get.
I disagree with all of that.

Everything you said but the opposite.

I disagree with all of that.
Everything you said but the opposite.

Weitering isn't professional?
He hasn't just turned 20?
He wasn't showed up as being out of his depth at times?
He hasn't the tools to become a quality CHF? Why not? Has a huge tank, is a wonderful mark, reads the play brilliantly and can kick goals from outside 50.

Weitering didn't live up to expectations though, last year. Thought that may have been clear to all that watched him......especially Bolton.

Not sure which player ends up the better or has a better career but 1 thing i will say is that Weitering is a very very good player and will play min 250 games but probably get to 300 if he has luck with injuries.

Kids only 20 years old and already plays KPD/F and has a great football mind and selects the best options whilst restricting his opponent and creating for his team. Hope the blues are able to retain him when he gets to Free agency status as he will have big $$$ thrown at him

Weitering didn’t really advance in 2017, on his very good first year.

Comparing him with McGrath, well Andy had a better year full stop.

Where will they both end up in 15 years? Who the hell knows and frankly......why bother debating it?
Not sure i totally agree more possessions,goals tackles inside 50s,goal assists clearances 1%. I Realise possessions are not always a good guide but what i saw of him he consolidated and improved . Be interested to hear other opinions . Not for one minute saying your wrong HedgeFund just my opinion.

Not sure i totally agree more possessions,goals tackles inside 50s,goal assists clearances 1%. I Realise possessions are not always a good guide but what i saw of him he consolidated and improved . Be interested to hear other opinions . Not for one minute saying your wrong HedgeFund just my opinion.

Basically a reflection of being played further up the ground more often. Clearly had more involvements, but not necessarily better value/impact for his possessions/involvement.

Think we might be splitting hairs though....:thumbsu:

I’d go Weitering over McGrath. I thought Weitering showed some very promising signs in year one and appeared to suffer some second year Blues. Will take longer to get to full ability as a key position player. I’d play him back and I can see him being n the top few key defenders in coming years. Also the ability to swing forward.

Are you joking? Weitering was AFL standard in his first game. What sport are you watching?

As a key position player he averages 6 marks and 15 disposals over his 2 year career (and went at 80% eff in 2017).
The guy really battled in his second year.

Watch the game, don't just take generic media opinion.

1 Weitering vs McGrath - McGrath
2 Schache vs Taranto - Taranto
3 Mills vs McCluggage - McCluggage
4 Oliver vs Ainsworth - Oliver
5 Parish vs Setterfield - Parish
6 Francis vs SPS - SPS
7 Hopper vs Scrimshaw - Hopper
8 Ah Chee vs Logue - Logue
9 Weideman vs Brodie - Brodie
10 McKay vs Bowes - Bowes

11 Milera vs Florent - Florent
12 Curnow vs Simpkin - Curnow
13 Kennedy vs Venables - Kennedy
14 Hipwood vs Perryman - Hipwood
15 Rioli vs Gallucci - Rioli
16 Himmelberg vs Marshall - Marshall
17 Doedee vs Berry - Berry
18 Gresham vs SPP - SPP
19 Burton vs English - Burton
20 Fiorini vs Cumming - Fiorini
21 McKay vs Hayward - Hayward
22 Lovell vs Ridley - Ridley
23 Cuningham vs Witherden - Witherden

He's below average at senior level.

No he isn't.

Had a terrific debut season but obviously didn't have as good a second year. Was shuffled around a bit and showed some terrific signs up forward before being moved down back where at this stage he looks far more comfortable.

He won't be happy with his year but to suggest he's not currently AFL standard is laughable.

the hedgefund packer is famous for being wrong...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he isn't.

Had a terrific debut season but obviously didn't have as good a second year. Was shuffled around a bit and showed some terrific signs up forward before being moved down back where at this stage he looks far more comfortable.

He won't be happy with his year but to suggest he's not currently AFL standard is laughable.
He’s on the brink to be fair

No he isn't.

His worst games have all been against the Saints, it's fair their fans don't rate him

1 Weitering vs McGrath - Weitering
2 Schache vs Taranto - Taranto
3 Mills vs McCluggage - Mills
4 Oliver vs Ainsworth - Oliver
5 Parish vs Setterfield - Setterfield
6 Francis vs SPS - SPS
7 Hopper vs Scrimshaw - Hopper
8 Ah Chee vs Logue - Logue
9 Weideman vs Brodie - Brodie
10 McKay vs Bowes - Bowes

11 Milera vs Florent - Florent
12 Curnow vs Simpkin - Curnow
13 Kennedy vs Venables - Kennedy
14 Hipwood vs Perryman - Hipwood
15 Rioli vs Gallucci - Rioli
16 Himmelberg vs Marshall - Marshall
17 Doedee vs Berry - Berry
18 Gresham vs SPP - SPP
19 Burton vs English - Burton
20 Fiorini vs Cumming - Fiorini
21 McKay vs Hayward - Hayward
22 Lovell vs Ridley - Ridley
23 Cuningham vs Witherden - Witherden

The guy really battled in his second year.

Watch the game, don't just take generic media opinion.
Most players struggle in the 2nd year, when you add in to the fact that he is a KPP he was always more likely to struggle. Also the fact that he wasn't in a very good team would make it even harder.

No doubt he would have been a little disappointed with last season but i think he still have a very very bright future at the top level.

Most players struggle in the 2nd year, when you add in to the fact that he is a KPP he was always more likely to struggle. Also the fact that he wasn't in a very good team would make it even harder.

No doubt he would have been a little disappointed with last season but i think he still have a very very bright future at the top level.
2015 wasn't a bad year for second performances
Burton, Curnow and Oliver broke out
Hopper, Mills and Parish went from strength to strength (when Hopper wasn't injured)
Rioli played in a GF side.
Hipwood started to get pundits quite excited too.

McGrath v Weitering is a bit of an even tie at the moment. Will be interesting to see how McGrath goes with battling year 2 while transitioning to the midfield from defence.

Weitering v McGrath is impossible to judge. Weitering didn't have a great 2nd year but he is a tall, and it's actually all the more remarkable how good he was year one as a result. At times in 16 he was unbelievably good.

I am enormously bullish on McGrath. Whispers from the club have him lifting more than any other kid out there and recent pics of him show that the frame we saw on him last year is already filling out nicely (he's looking ******* beastly frankly - cue the PED jokes hurrr) and he's going to be a true power athlete, who clearly has sublime skills and quick decision making.

Despite that I'm still not prepared to call it in his favour, as Weitering has such good potential, and it's not like second year blues are rare, especially for a big guy

Weitering v McGrath is impossible to judge. Weitering didn't have a great 2nd year but he is a tall, and it's actually all the more remarkable how good he was year one as a result. At times in 16 he was unbelievably good.

I am enormously bullish on McGrath. Whispers from the club have him lifting more than any other kid out there and recent pics of him show that the frame we saw on him last year is already filling out nicely (he's looking ******* beastly frankly - cue the PED jokes hurrr) and he's going to be a true power athlete, who clearly has sublime skills and quick decision making.

Despite that I'm still not prepared to call it in his favour, as Weitering has such good potential, and it's not like second year blues are rare, especially for a big guy
Agree on all that. McGrath had an unbelievable year and has the potential to be one of the elite midfielders in the competition.
In regards to Weitering, people have very short memories. He had some incredible games in his debut year that showed composure and skill well beyond his years. He is also a star and based on his position I can absolutely understand people choosing him over McGrath. Based on output so far though it would have to be a tie or even slightly in McGraths favour.

Agree on all that. McGrath had an unbelievable year and has the potential to be one of the elite midfielders in the competition.
In regards to Weitering, people have very short memories. He had some incredible games in his debut year that showed composure and skill well beyond his years. He is also a star and based on his position I can absolutely understand people choosing him over McGrath. Based on output so far though it would have to be a tie or even slightly in McGraths favour.
on output I'd agree - but with the rider that if you did it on output after Weitering's first year almost everyone would probably choose him, if only for the adage that a good big guy beats a good small guy. And his potential is pretty great.

As an aside, I think people struggle to see McGrath's potential a bit - it's hard to get past his height. But I reckon he has an incredible ceiling that people just don't understand. He is short, yes, but he has a massive frame and is going to be incredibly powerful. Couple this with his extreme pace, his elite skill level, his desire to improve himself, and his decision-making and incredibly quick reaction time; what you have is a mentally committed, highly-skilled inside/outside power athlete midfielder with genuine line-breaking and leadership ability. It's almost the complete full package, and if he had another half a head height it would be. Going to be an absolute gun

on output I'd agree - but with the rider that if you did it on output after Weitering's first year almost everyone would probably choose him, if only for the adage that a good big guy beats a good small guy. And his potential is pretty great.

As an aside, I think people struggle to see McGrath's potential a bit - it's hard to get past his height. But I reckon he has an incredible ceiling that people just don't understand. He is short, yes, but he has a massive frame and is going to be incredibly powerful. Couple this with his extreme pace, his elite skill level, his desire to improve himself, and his decision-making and incredibly quick reaction time; what you have is a mentally committed, highly-skilled inside/outside power athlete midfielder with genuine line-breaking and leadership ability. It's almost the complete full package, and if he had another half a head height it would be. Going to be an absolute gun

Personally, I’m confident McGrath will be in the best 10-20 players in the competition by age 22. Not sure about Weitering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back