Analysis Alternative to longer draftee deals

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a reasonable chance a late first round pick is a dud a s a good chance a 2nd rounder is a dud so you're locking bad sides to a fair few list cloggers with that.

Also, you'll either need extra list spots to carry all the extra players you can't delist or you'll have a shorter draft that ends up being 1st/2nd round only because sides won't have list spots.
Good point.

What if all rookie contracts stay as 2 year deals, but the clubs have an option of an automatic extension if they want to. This needs to be activated by (say) 30-June of the 2nd year of their rookie contract.

1st rd - 2 year extension
2nd rd - 1 year extension

Players can still request a trade at the end of the 2nd year, but they are then under contract.

Good point.

What if all rookie contracts stay as 2 year deals, but the clubs have an option of an automatic extension if they want to. This needs to be activated by (say) 30-June of the 2nd year of their rookie contract.

1st rd - 2 year extension
2nd rd - 1 year extension

Players can still request a trade at the end of the 2nd year, but they are then under contract.
Yeah maybe, but kids are going home contracted now anyway. Not sure it'll be a magic bullet if exercising it just puts the kid offside anyway.

I think the solution has to be more carrot than stick

Yeah maybe, but kids are going home contracted now anyway. Not sure it'll be a magic bullet if exercising it just puts the kid offside anyway.

I think the solution has to be more carrot than stick
They can still request a trade, but the drafting club needs to be compensated adequately, not seeing a pick 11 traded for a couple of mid to late 2nds like Caldwell. The players need to accept they aren't FAs until they hit the FA mark. There seems to be an underlying assumption that OOC = FA.

Yep. Definitely favourable to the WA and SA clubs. not that I care about the other three.
Given the amount of top 10 picks that come out of Sandringham Dragons, i would think who ever has that zone.. presumably St Kilda would have the upper hand.

Probably the easiest way to tackle this is that the club that first drafts a young player gets an additional amount outside of the salary cap they can pay said player for a period of time.
So say it’s for their first 4 years and it may be something like:
Round 1 pick $100k pa extra
Round 2 pick $75k pa extra
Round 3 pick $50k pa extra
Etc
Then it’s just all back to market forces. If a club in the player’s home state can still entice them back then good luck to them, the original club should theoretically be in the box seat with extra cash to spend.
Any other type of “imposed” restrictions on trading would be artificially limiting player movement which is hard to get spot on without other consequences/effects.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back