List Mgmt. 2015 National Draft discussion thread (Tuesday 24 November)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan Clarke should go top 10. I say this because his 2 minute highlight reel is better than the rest.

That form worked perfectly for Bontempelli, so I'll stick with it.

Anyone heard of jadyn brind? Looks amazing at 181cm 86kg from SA suprisely to me looks very good and would love to get him at North i teckon has some X factor!

Emma Quayle's draft quide in the age:

NORTH MELBOURNE

In: Jed Anderson

Out: Scott McMahon, Eric Wallace, Max Warren, Daniel Currie, Ryan Bastinac, Nathan Grima, Leigh Adams, Kieran Harper, Majak Daw

Draft picks: 17, 26, 28, 46, 67

TALL FORWARDS: Drew Petrie, Jarrad Waite, Ben Brown, Mason Wood, Aaron Black

TALL DEFENDERS: Robbie Tarrant, Scott Thompson, Lachlan Hansen, Joel Tippett, Sam Durdin, Daniel Nielson

SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Shaun Higgins, Lindsay Thomas, Taylor Garner, Kayne Turner, Robbie Nahas (rookie)

SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Jamie Macmillan, Sam Wright, Luke McDonald, Michael Firrito, Aaron Mullett, Ed Vickers-Willis

MIDFIELDERS: Ben Cunnington, Jack Ziebell, Andrew Swallow, Shaun Atley, Ben Jacobs, Daniel Wells, Nick Dal Santo, Brent Harvey, Sam Gibson, Trent Dumont, Jed Anderson, Brad McKenzie, Will Fordham (rookie)

RUCKS: Todd Goldstein, Braydon Preuss (rookie)

The Roos will take five picks, with their last two set to bounce quite a few spots up the order as bids for northern academy players are made and matched. They could start by placing a bid themselves for Lions Academy midfielder Ben Keays, if no one else has, or GWS Academy player Harrison Himmelberg. He's an athletic forward who works up and back; while they have plenty of options in their forward group at the moment, his style would complement what's already there and he'd come in as one to have cooking away for future use. That's provided the Giants don't match, of course, and they seem likely to be able to do that. North also seems a chance to bid for defender Bailey Rice - St Kilda's father-son nominee - with one of their picks in the late 20s (early 30s, by the time the bid is made). They could do with a bit of dash around the middle and it wouldn't surprise to see them look for that with their first pick. They'll have some options. Jade Gresham plays with zip, and could start out playing as small forward before growing into a midfield role. Daniel Rioli would appeal for similar reasons. Aidyn Johnson can break the lines at pace and David Cuningham is both quick and smart around stoppages. Luke Partington and Ryan Clarke can both move the ball, and both those players are a chance to be available in the late 20s. Majak Daw will come back on as a rookie, but the Roos could also look to bring a new young ruck to start developing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clubbyclub-guide-to-the-afl-draft-part-2-20151120-gl43zh.html#ixzz3s7VrQ9tu
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

OK, this is who we'll be picking on draft night. I'm writing it now so I can quote myself and be a hero on the 1% chance I get it right knowing that no-one will remember when I inevitably get it completely wrong:
Pick 17: Gresham
Pick 26: Himmelberg
Pick 28: Cunningham/ Clarke/ Cole or Partington (in that order depending on who's available)

Please don't bookmark it.

Emma Quayle's draft quide in the age:

NORTH MELBOURNE

In: Jed Anderson

Out: Scott McMahon, Eric Wallace, Max Warren, Daniel Currie, Ryan Bastinac, Nathan Grima, Leigh Adams, Kieran Harper, Majak Daw

Draft picks: 17, 26, 28, 46, 67

TALL FORWARDS: Drew Petrie, Jarrad Waite, Ben Brown, Mason Wood, Aaron Black

TALL DEFENDERS: Robbie Tarrant, Scott Thompson, Lachlan Hansen, Joel Tippett, Sam Durdin, Daniel Nielson

SMALL/MEDIUM FORWARDS: Shaun Higgins, Lindsay Thomas, Taylor Garner, Kayne Turner, Robbie Nahas (rookie)

SMALL/MEDIUM DEFENDERS: Jamie Macmillan, Sam Wright, Luke McDonald, Michael Firrito, Aaron Mullett, Ed Vickers-Willis

MIDFIELDERS: Ben Cunnington, Jack Ziebell, Andrew Swallow, Shaun Atley, Ben Jacobs, Daniel Wells, Nick Dal Santo, Brent Harvey, Sam Gibson, Trent Dumont, Jed Anderson, Brad McKenzie, Will Fordham (rookie)

RUCKS: Todd Goldstein, Braydon Preuss (rookie)

The Roos will take five picks, with their last two set to bounce quite a few spots up the order as bids for northern academy players are made and matched. They could start by placing a bid themselves for Lions Academy midfielder Ben Keays, if no one else has, or GWS Academy player Harrison Himmelberg. He's an athletic forward who works up and back; while they have plenty of options in their forward group at the moment, his style would complement what's already there and he'd come in as one to have cooking away for future use. That's provided the Giants don't match, of course, and they seem likely to be able to do that. North also seems a chance to bid for defender Bailey Rice - St Kilda's father-son nominee - with one of their picks in the late 20s (early 30s, by the time the bid is made). They could do with a bit of dash around the middle and it wouldn't surprise to see them look for that with their first pick. They'll have some options. Jade Gresham plays with zip, and could start out playing as small forward before growing into a midfield role. Daniel Rioli would appeal for similar reasons. Aidyn Johnson can break the lines at pace and David Cuningham is both quick and smart around stoppages. Luke Partington and Ryan Clarke can both move the ball, and both those players are a chance to be available in the late 20s. Majak Daw will come back on as a rookie, but the Roos could also look to bring a new young ruck to start developing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/clubbyclub-guide-to-the-afl-draft-part-2-20151120-gl43zh.html#ixzz3s7VrQ9tu
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Well, at least Emma kinda agrees with me.

This is my ideal scenario come draft night, might be a bit optimistic with H Mckay but if Carlton and Adelaide pass on him I think we have a shot...

17- Harry Mckay (Tall Forward, replacement for Big Drew sometime in the future. If we can't get him I think we should bite the bullet and get his twin... I haven't been keen on Ben but he has lots of the same attributes as well as the fact that he goes harder at it than Harry. Will take time to develop but I think Drew/Waite still have 2 years each)
26- Ryan Clarke (Inside/Outside mid with elite endurance and decent pace)
28- Aidyn Johnson (I know people like Cunningham at this pick, but honestly just go and have a look at his highlights (in the Small/Med Forward section at http://www.afl.com.au/draftmachine)... he has had injury but the vision there looks a lot like a young Daniel Wells... and god is he quick! I actually think I would be most excited out of any of ours if we got him, addresses our needs perfectly as he is a pure wingman)
47- Kieran Lovell (Next boomer Harvey. There, I called it. You can't teach ball magnetism, and this guy has it more than anyone else in the draft. Is quick, has decent skills and set an unofficial record in the agilty test earlier this year)
72- Gach Nyuon (The best ruckman in the draft, and could be very, very good in a couple of years time. NicNat mark 2?)

Rookie 1- Liam Jeffs (193cm midfielder with great pace (3rd overall at combine), trained with North earlier in the year. Has had injury concerns but models his game on Bontempelli/Fyfe and is certainly worth a rookie spot!)
Rookie 2- Majak Daw (I still have faith that he could be our next full forward, has so many amazing attributes but needs them to come together in the next year or so else hes gone for good sadly)

Another option I would consider would be to take Darcy Tucker or Jade Gresham at 17 and then Sam Skinner with 47. People talk about Himmelberg and the like but one look at his set shot kicking is enough, plus the fact that he looks like Ariel Steinberg...)

So let me know what you guys think! :)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mason Redman looks the goods. wouldn't mind him at pick 28. has poise, can kick and is a nice size at 188 cms.

Not sure if you're aware NMFCyadayadayayda but I can confirm that Mason Redman BFNAAK, per an article in the Advertiser today, is a Millicent country boy who's dad is an oyster fisherman (or some other type of fisherman). Likely to get on well with Ben C and Jed in that case, also likely to have a serious work ethic I'd imagine.

Would it be too many Mason's though? Also he's got the double surname'd name, and I think someone said in the other thread they're not to be trusted? (or is that double first name'd folk?).

The thing with Redman is that he would need to be able to play midfield at AFL level. Has he shown any such potential in junior footy?

This is my ideal scenario come draft night, might be a bit optimistic with H Mckay but if Carlton and Adelaide pass on him I think we have a shot...

17- Harry Mckay (Tall Forward, replacement for Big Drew sometime in the future. If we can't get him I think we should bite the bullet and get his twin... I haven't been keen on Ben but he has lots of the same attributes as well as the fact that he goes harder at it than Harry. Will take time to develop but I think Drew/Waite still have 2 years each)
26- Ryan Clarke (Inside/Outside mid with elite endurance and decent pace)
28- Aidyn Johnson (I know people like Cunningham at this pick, but honestly just go and have a look at his highlights (in the Small/Med Forward section at http://www.afl.com.au/draftmachine)... he has had injury but the vision there looks a lot like a young Daniel Wells... and god is he quick! I actually think I would be most excited out of any of ours if we got him, addresses our needs perfectly as he is a pure wingman)
47- Kieran Lovell (Next boomer Harvey. There, I called it. You can't teach ball magnetism, and this guy has it more than anyone else in the draft. Is quick, has decent skills and set an unofficial record in the agilty test earlier this year)
72- Gach Nyuon (The best ruckman in the draft, and could be very, very good in a couple of years time. NicNat mark 2?)

Rookie 1- Liam Jeffs (193cm midfielder with great pace (3rd overall at combine), trained with North earlier in the year. Has had injury concerns but models his game on Bontempelli/Fyfe and is certainly worth a rookie spot!)
Rookie 2- Majak Daw (I still have faith that he could be our next full forward, has so many amazing attributes but needs them to come together in the next year or so else hes gone for good sadly)

Another option I would consider would be to take Darcy Tucker or Jade Gresham at 17 and then Sam Skinner with 47. People talk about Himmelberg and the like but one look at his set shot kicking is enough, plus the fact that he looks like Ariel Steinberg...)

So let me know what you guys think! :)

Like your selections rem but doubt Harry will get through to 17. Particularly like Gach and Jeffs selections and the others would all be brilliant.

Should only be drafting North supporters.
Should stop the I want to play for Collingwood factor. Cause I want to be a Hero.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back