Universal Love 2016 AFC Best and Fairest Thread part 2 (Old one went haywire)

Remove this Banner Ad

So Sloane and M. Crouch were the only genuine midfielders in the top 10. I think that tells me all I need to know about our midfield. B. Crouch will be better next season if he can get a full preseason under his belt and stay injury free.

We badly need midfielders to both recruit and those on the list to come on quickly.

So Sloane and M. Crouch were the only genuine midfielders in the top 10. I think that tells me all I need to know about our midfield. B. Crouch will be better next season if he can get a full preseason under his belt and stay injury free.

We badly need midfielders to both recruit and those on the list to come on quickly.
Don't forget Lyons hardly got to play in the midfield.

Yes, we need to improve our mix but Lyons actually tackles well, chases in space (a big improvement now he's fit enough) and provides effective clearances. Is a quality footballer. For mine there's room for Lyons and Matt Crouch in this side.

Still cant believe Douglas was 11th in B&F.
Thought he struggled for most of the year.
I see he even got a couple of votes for the SF after stinking it up.
I'd be interested to see the full vote tallies for the 19th man award...

Still cant believe Douglas was 11th in B&F.
Thought he struggled for most of the year.
I see he even got a couple of votes for the SF after stinking it up.

Yeah I'd love a further breakdown to see the votes by coach...

Means he was almost top ten...

...yeah nah

SANFL voting

State League Club Champion Leaderboard – Top 10
Jonathon Beech – 185
2. Mitch Grigg – 178
3. Harrison Wigg – 174
4. Reilly O’Brien – 173
5. Cam Ellis-Yolmen – 163
6. Hugh Greenwood – 162
7. Tom Doedee – 156
8. Dean Gore – 141
9. Keenan Ramsey – 137
10. Andy Otten - 130

Congrats Jono Beech
Grigg 2nd, well done
Dean Gore 8th :eek:
Ramsey 9th and delisted
Ok some key take outs for me:

Mackay polled extremely poorly, yet somehow was basically a lock for out 22.
Jenkins polled extremely poorly and yet somehow we signed him for very good money, rather than trade him to Brisbane for Rockcliff
Lyons polled extremely well given it was his first season in the 22, yet we have an insulting contract offer in front of him and are trying to push him out the door.

Basically what this is telling me is that the view of the coaching panel is nearly completely independent from the selection and list management panels. There seems to be no correlation between how well the coaches think a player performed and if they were selected or how we viewed them from a contracting perspective.

This is a joke, an absolute joke.

Agree in spades Vhaluus...when Keenan Ramsey, a top 10 B&F, just turned 20-y-o untried AFL prospect, and arguably best kick in the SANFL Crows on both sides, can be delisted must mean many players could be wondering if they are next.

So I was wondering - who spudded it up? Who did nothing the most? Who earned the dreaded nul points? Who did the coaches not rate AT ALL?

Round 1: van Berlo, Smith (not sure if this is a mistake though - he had 24 disposals)
Round 2: -
Round 3: -
Round 4: -
Round 5: Laird (is this a mistake? 21 disposals, 9 contested, 6 tackles, 5 rebound 50s)
Round 6: Walker
Round 7: Seedsman, Henderson, Thompson, Talia, Lever, Douglas, Mackay, McGovern
Round 8: Smith, Douglas, Milera, M. Crouch, Seedsman, B. Crouch, Thompson
Round 9: -
Round 10: -
Round 11: -
Round 12: -
Round 14: -
Round 15: Lever
Round 16: McGovern
Round 17: Mackay
Round 18: McGovern, Talia, Hartigan, Walker, Atkins, Henderson
Round 19: Jacobs (injured early)
Round 20: Seedsman (injured early)
Round 21: McGovern
Round 22: B. Crouch, Smith (concussion early)
Round 23: Cameron, Brown, Lynch, Jacobs, Jenkins, Lever, Hartigan, Talia, Lyons
EF: -
SF: Jenkins, Lever, Lyons, Smith, Brown, B. Crouch

Those making the list 4 times:

Mitch McGovern
Brodie Smith (although one from concussion, and the other might be a mistake?)
Jake Lever

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as close as we probably have access to, cheers.

was hoping for a complete list of total votes to see how the fan's opinions compare to the coaches. For example if Douglas was able to hang onto 11th spot.

The data is on the page, just hidden.

RORY SLOANE 454
EDDIE BETTS 226
RORY LAIRD 224
MATT CROUCH 210
JOSH JENKINS 132
SCOTT THOMPSON 125
BRODIE SMITH 110
TOM LYNCH 109
TAYLOR WALKER 105
CHARLIE CAMERON 90
DANIEL TALIA 85
BRAD CROUCH 82
SAM JACOBS 70
RORY ATKINS 62
JAKE LEVER 49
KYLE CHENEY 45
JARRYD LYONS 39
MITCH MCGOVERN 32
KYLE HARTIGAN 30
RICKY HENDERSON 29
RICHARD DOUGLAS 26
PAUL SEEDSMAN 22
DAVID MACKAY 15
LUKE BROWN 14
WAYNE MILERA 10
CAM ELLIS-YOLMEN 5
REILLY O'BRIEN 2
NATHAN VAN BERLO 1

The data is on the page, just hidden.

RORY SLOANE 454
EDDIE BETTS 226
RORY LAIRD 224
MATT CROUCH 210
JOSH JENKINS 132
SCOTT THOMPSON 125
BRODIE SMITH 110
TOM LYNCH 109
TAYLOR WALKER 105
CHARLIE CAMERON 90
DANIEL TALIA 85
BRAD CROUCH 82
SAM JACOBS 70
RORY ATKINS 62
JAKE LEVER 49
KYLE CHENEY 45
JARRYD LYONS 39
MITCH MCGOVERN 32
KYLE HARTIGAN 30
RICKY HENDERSON 29
RICHARD DOUGLAS 26
PAUL SEEDSMAN 22
DAVID MACKAY 15
LUKE BROWN 14
WAYNE MILERA 10
CAM ELLIS-YOLMEN 5
REILLY O'BRIEN 2
NATHAN VAN BERLO 1
cheers mate, didn't notice any of that on my phone.

aaaand Douglas and Mackay go slip sliding away.

Last year the votes were awarded like this:

Club Champion Voting Protocol
1 vote – Played his role. Beat his man.
2 votes – Played his role. Beat his man – added to our team offence or defence.
3 votes – Played his role. Beat his man – added to both our team offence and defence.
4 votes – Major contributor. Dominated either offensively or defensively.
5 votes – Best on ground performance – elite impact on game.

With 5 coaches voting, so a maximum of 25 votes per game.

The most anyone scored this year was 19. Do we know what system they used for the votes? Was it the same as last year but with only 4 coaches voting?

Looking at it another way, here are the players who scored 3 votes or less. This means that at least one of the coaches gave them 0 in the game.

1 Mackay, Seedsman, Lynch, Milera, Talia, van Berlo, Smith
2 Douglas
3 McGovern, Milera, Atkins, Jenkins, Knight
4 Cheney, Milera
5 M.Crouch, Jenkins, Cheney, Laird
6 Lyons, McGovern, Cheney, Walker
7 Betts, Brown, Sloane, Smith, Atkins, B.Crouch, Jacobs, Seedsman, Henderson, Thompson, Talia, Lever, Douglas, Mackay, McGovern
8 Jenkins, Lever, McGovern, Walker, Betts, Henderson, Jacobs, Smith, Douglas, Milera, M.Crouch, Seedsman, B.Crouch, Thompson
9 Jenkins, Betts, Lever
10 Milera, van Berlo, Henderson
11 Betts, Douglas, McGovern, Milera
12 McGovern
15 Brown, Jenkins, McGovern, Talia, Lever
16 Cameron, Mackay, McGovern
17 McGovern, Cameron, Seedsman, Mackay
18 Cheney, B.Crouch, Douglas, Jacobs, Jenkins, Thompson, Betts, Laird, McGovern, Talia, Hartigan, Walker, Atkins, Henderson
19 Jacobs
20 Seedsman
21 McGovern
22 Hartigan, Thompson, Jenkins, Talia, Smith, B.Crouch
23 Mackay, Atkins, Betts, B.Crouch, Ellis-Yolmen, Laird, Thompson, Cameron, Brown, Lynch, Jacobs, Jenkins, Lever, Hartigan, Talia, Lyons
SF Jacobs, Mackay, McGovern, Thompson, Betts, Douglas, Lynch, Talia, Atkins, Cheney, Laird, Jenkins, Lever, Lyons, Smith, Brown, B.Crouch

The number of "bad" games as a percentage of games played is as follows:

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 1.17.13 PM.png

CtQssSsUMAAi4qj.jpg

Surely Claude could of bought a new guernsey for the B&F
Get with the hoops Claude :)

Last year the votes were awarded like this:

Club Champion Voting Protocol
1 vote – Played his role. Beat his man.
2 votes – Played his role. Beat his man – added to our team offence or defence.
3 votes – Played his role. Beat his man – added to both our team offence and defence.
4 votes – Major contributor. Dominated either offensively or defensively.
5 votes – Best on ground performance – elite impact on game.

With 5 coaches voting, so a maximum of 25 votes per game.

The most anyone scored this year was 19. Do we know what system they used for the votes? Was it the same as last year but with only 4 coaches voting?

Here is the voting system this year

No player received the maximum 20 votes in a game – the highest was 19 votes on six different
occasions. In a slight change to the voting system this season, five coaches cast votes on a 4, 3, 2, 1 basis after every game.

Agree in spades Vhaluus...when Keenan Ramsey, a top 10 B&F, just turned 20-y-o untried AFL prospect, and arguably best kick in the SANFL Crows on both sides, can be delisted must mean many players could be wondering if they are next.
You don't stay on the list by polling well in the reserves b&f you get judged if you are likely to develop into a quality afl player. Obviously Ramsey lacked in some areas despite being a handy SANFL player and nice kick.

You don't stay on the list by polling well in the reserves b&f you get judged if you are likely to develop into a quality afl player. Obviously Ramsey lacked in some areas despite being a handy SANFL player and nice kick.

Jacobs and Smith way down on their previous bests, though Smith was about equal as last year. Mackay in the same boat almost, better than last year, but way behind his best year. Douglas way off the pace too and Thompson had a huge drop off too and is our lowest ranked midfielder, which is a huge concern with the amount of minutes he gets in the middle.

On the positive side, Betts, Lyons, Lynch, CEY, Jenkins, Laird, M.Crouch, Talia, Cameron, Atkins, Lever, O'Brien, Brown, Milera, McGovern and Hartigan all showing up green for highest ranked season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back