2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Our 2 main prospects from the Academy are being rated poorly.

So in the National Draft,allocating picks 20 and 30 to get both (and this is as a very pessimistic guess on my part),in simplistic terms we would need 1147 points to cover them and thus would only need to be holding,say,picks 39,40 and 50 (1148 points).

To then get a third Academy player would then be entirely possible as well as being on the lookout for another Mathieson and/or Skinner.

My main interest in the recruiting this year will be what class we pick up early in the draft and what experience we can nab in trading.

Our 2 main prospects from the Academy are being rated poorly.

So in the National Draft, allocating picks 20 and 30 to get both (and this is as a very pessimistic guess on my part),in simplistic terms we would need 1147 points to cover them and thus would only need to be holding,say,picks 39,40 and 50 (1148 points).

To then get a third Academy player would then be entirely possible as well as being on the lookout for another Mathieson and/or Skinner.

My main interest in the recruiting this year will be what class we pick up early in the draft and what experience we can nab in trading.

Some more than capable players taken between 20 & 30 in the past 3 drafts :thumbsu:

Kieren Lovell
Ben Keays
Josh Dunkley
Kieren Collins
Darcy Tucker
Jayden Laverde
Hugh Goddard
Jack Steele
Toby McLean
Touk Miller
Brayden Maynard
Jack Leslie
Jarman Impey
Darcy Gardiner
Matt Crouch
Billy Hartung
Daniel McStay
Zach Merrett
Lewy Taylor
Rory Lobb

We need St Kilda and Nth to stop winning too. On the weekend St Kilda's second round pick which we got from Coll went from 24 to 27.

As far as North's concerned it's problem solved, that pick's been shooting right up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a fair bit of discussion about the Vic boys with chat about the TAC Cup and what not and the WA boys have seemingly been forgotten about so I thought I'd share some info about a few of their better known prospects and their stats in their past couple games:

Petrevski-Seton had 32 disposals, 6 marks and 3 tackles today at Colts level. He had 24 disposals, 5 marks and 6 tackles a couple of weeks ago and he didn't play last weekend.

Powell-Pepper has played at WAFL Reserves level the past three weeks and he has had 18 disposals 2 goals, 14 disposals 3 tackles, and 20 disposals 1 goal over those three games.

Liam Ryan has kicked tallies of 4, 1, 1 and 3 goals over the past four games in the WAFL.

Shai Bolton in his past couple of games had 16 disposals, 5 marks and 3 goals and 23 disposals, 6 marks, 2 tackles and 1 goal at Colts level.

Quinton Narkle had 22 disposals, 3 marks and 2 goals today at Colts level.

As annoyed as I am that the Bombers will finish with pick 1 due to the context surrounding their 18th placed finish(Not yet finalised but more than likely) I don't think it will end up mattering that much this year with the top end being fairly even. At the end of the day with a top 2-3 pick we are certain to pick one of McCluggage/Brodie/SPS/Ainsworth/McGrath/A late riser and I am confident we'll end up with a terrific young talent.

For those who are really interested in the draft and the prospects and in particular how they compare stats wise to prospects from the past who are now playing AFL level this post comes from a Bombers fan on the Bombers board:

"McCluggage is averaging 29 possessions and 2 goals a game in the TAC cup. McCluggage is putting up numbers better then Parish, Oliver, Kelly, ZMerrett, Heppell, Whitfield and nearly all other mids who played TAC cup football. I cant remember any mid averaging 29 possessions and 2 goals a game ever."

Pretty impressive stuff from him.

For those who are really interested in the draft and the prospects and in particular how they compare stats wise to prospects from the past who are now playing AFL level this post comes from a Bombers fan on the Bombers board:

"McCluggage is averaging 29 possessions and 2 goals a game in the TAC cup. McCluggage is putting up numbers better then Parish, Oliver, Kelly, ZMerrett, Heppell, Whitfield and nearly all other mids who played TAC cup football. I cant remember any mid averaging 29 possessions and 2 goals a game ever."

I love draft watching... He is a pretty clear #1 for me now

My only concern with him is his ability to win contested ball. We have seen from the likes of Aish that when they are unable to do it at junior level that it is hard to see them doing it at the elite level. Understand that he is more of an outside mid/half forward but it is a concern. It will be interesting to see what the bombers do, trade or pick. If they pick I can see them going Brodie seeing that Watson is on his way out and bar him and Heppel they don't have much class on the inside.

So looks like pick 2 and even though the experts in AFL club land believe there are up to 4/5 who could go 1 I feel that there are only three, Brodie, SPS and McCluggage. In relation to our list I feel we need more outside class and SPS and McCluggage are those. I know that I will change my mind over and over again up until the draft but SPS I think (at this moment) would be ideal for our list. Last year we took Beast and Keays as inside types and can see Beast shooting out the handball to SPS on the outside delivering the ball to Schache/Hipwood. I know that there is the notion that he is a Lions fan but family is very important in the indigenous culture and that concerns me. Hope the club straight out asks him if he wants to play for the Lions. The issue could be taken out of our hands though if he was picked before us thus leaving McCluggage, sigh, such a conundrum.

Either way we are going to get an A grader. I feel as though McCluggage will be the most dominant after 5 year in the system but SPS has the most talent. Brodie will be great prospect but I can't see him having a high ceiling at this point. If I had to choose right now who the Lions should pick it would be McCluggage due to the fact he accumulates while being damaging.

So looks like pick 2 and even though the experts in AFL club land believe there are up to 4/5 who could go 1 I feel that there are only three, Brodie, SPS and McCluggage. In relation to our list I feel we need more outside class and SPS and McCluggage are those. I know that I will change my mind over and over again up until the draft but SPS I think (at this moment) would be ideal for our list. Last year we took Beast and Keays as inside types and can see Beast shooting out the handball to SPS on the outside delivering the ball to Schache/Hipwood. I know that there is the notion that he is a Lions fan but family is very important in the indigenous culture and that concerns me. Hope the club straight out asks him if he wants to play for the Lions. The issue could be taken out of our hands though if he was picked before us thus leaving McCluggage, sigh, such a conundrum.
Having seen a little of both, I think McCluggage would be the guy who I went with, a little taller, will fill out a little more, the way the game is going it is for the taller, bigger mids, plus he pushes forward well. Plus VIC country seems to be where we are recruiting from, though we have done OK out of WA.

Sounds like McCluggage is firming as the likely #1 selection, so might come down to Brodie vs SPS for us. Personally I'm a big fan of SPS, he has a lot of attributes the team lacks, great disposal, speed and defensive pressure. If we still feel a need to address our inside midfield stock this year , although not the same caliber as Brodie, there's likely to be some decent prospects available at our second rounder, this is something that sways me even more to SPS.

We tried to address our inside mid depth by getting in Bastinac, Mathieson, Jansen and Keays. We need some outside run and genuine speed, being able to kick and hit a target would be a nice change too. I think this is a reason William is being fast tracked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back