2016 Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If as predicted we get an end of 1st round pick then we really need to have a couple of late draft selection/rookie wins. Clarke, Hanley and Rocky's form/retirement have wiped out the few small wins we had.

Just don't see any midfield talent on our list ready to take the next step.

Hope he picks us. Doesnt cost anymore than a list spot. 26 years old, so balances out the ruck stocks nicely. And he can actually play forward.

Welcome aboard mate! Fancy not having a coach to welcome him with though! I might be being cynical, but do you reckon there is some extra incentive being offered by the AFL for him to come across? There is some merit to come to Brisbane though given where he lives now and the demographic of our list.

Hope it works out better than Johan Wagner at Port Adelaide.

Trent West replacement I take it?

If as predicted we get an end of 1st round pick then we really need to have a couple of late draft selection/rookie wins. Clarke, Hanley and Rocky's form/retirement have wiped out the few small wins we had.

Just don't see any midfield talent on our list ready to take the next step.
I think Rhys Mathieson will step up in 2017 and if the new coach allows Lewis Taylor to play more inside and less outside than was his role this year, I also see him ready to step up - just needs to be allowed to play to his natural see ball, get ball ability of a couple of years ago and we just could have a kid on par with Caleb Daniel.

Without totally derailing, Just from some of the TAC games I've seen this year I can see the possibility of some reasonable mids dropping down to the 2nd round this year, not to dissimilar to the 2008 draft which had - Suban @ 24, D Beams/29, Hannebery/30 and Liam Shiels at 34.

If we get pick 9 off the GC for Hanley I really want us to try and get a GWS kid in bidding. Perryman, Setterfield & Mutch bids in that order. Potentially we could get that Mutch kid who reminds me a bit of Gaff with a better inside game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I figure the recruit would have finished filming a month or 2 ago like all the other reality shows. He would have been locked in when our delisting decisions were made.

Tonight's finale was live.

With the media talk starting to ramp up about our PP being at the end of the first round, guess it's time to take a closer look at the 15 to 25 range on draft analysts big boards. If you thought there was some variance with the top 5 and top 10, boy there's massive variance with the players ranked in the 15 to 30 range.

I would like to see the Lions take a punt on Jye Bolton in the pre-season / rookie draft. He just won the Sandover Medal averaging 29 possessions and kicks a few goals here and there...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-20/excollingwood-rookie-wins-sandover-medal
Nice spotting! Over his last 7 games with Claremont I read he averaged 35+ disposals and almost 5 tackles a game - at 183cms and 80kgs [not sure if current?] also might have a bit of a leap on him, 3rd man up? Also av. 2 hit-outs a game over the last 7.

think getting Matt Eagles pretty much spellls the end of Cian Hanleys time with us, implying Pearce is gone too which is sad

all our Cat B rookie spots are filled currently now with Hammelman Hanley and Archie, with Archie due to be upgraded Eagles takes his spot on the list

surely we would need another vacancy as we try and take some QLD talent on the rookie list.

ie Allison, Watson, Rolls, whoever slips

(could be wrong and Reuben William is a cat b rookie instead of hammer or archie already)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back