Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, thinking late Draft or Rookie for a Defender, but in 2017/ 2018 reckon they may look harder for a Key Forward, would not surprise me it they Trade for one. going on our History, our current Forward line, 3 trades, 1 rookie. 1 NSW scholarship player,
But again if one pops up go for it.
We tried last year in the draft to put a bid on a KPF ......maybe that says we think the time is now to get a KPF?

Would you look at James Stewart from GWS ....196cm 22yo with only 1 AFL game this season .....nice mover & IIRC kicked 8 goals last weekend in the 2nds?

Jeremy Finlayson ? ......194cm with no games at GWS?

I know he had an average U18 Championships .....but i'm a big fan of Peter Ladhams
Ladhams, you say?

adelaide,0.jpg

Ladhams, you say?

adelaide,0.jpg
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 24: Peter Ladhams of South Australia attempts to mark during the Under 18 Championship match between South Australia and Vic Country at Etihad Stadium on June 24, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia

upload_2016-8-24_21-32-47.png
upload_2016-8-24_21-33-41.png

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 24: Peter Ladhams of South Australia attempts to mark during the Under 18 Championship match between South Australia and Vic Country at Etihad Stadium on June 24, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia

View attachment 280446
View attachment 280448
Yeah I realised :p

Don't mind Ladhams with a later pick, could be developed into a Sauce replacement if ROB doesn't work out. Appears to have some forward versatility, too?

Yeah I realised :p

Don't mind Ladhams with a later pick, could be developed into a Sauce replacement if ROB doesn't work out. Appears to have some forward versatility, too?
Athletic, Raw, But with a big leap .....when i saw him he was more a forward / ruck

Athletic, Raw, But with a big leap .....when i saw him he was more a forward / ruck
What do you reckon he'll be better at, potentially? I'd go with the latter, his tap work is better than any other ruck in this draft IMO, but agree that he can go forward and take a grab

What do you reckon he'll be better at, potentially? I'd go with the latter, his tap work is better than any other ruck in this draft IMO, but agree that he can go forward and take a grab
Probably groomed as Jenkins replacement ......but not concrete in that thinking

Some good news this weekend..

Eagles 3.0-18 8.2-50 8.2-50 11.5-71
North Adelaide 2.4-16 2.6-18 8.8-56 10.10-70

EAGLES
Goal Kickers: N. Moore 2, W. Creeper 2, I. Moller, B. Goold, L. Smith, J. Weidemann, B. Baqeri, J. Cook, M. Longbottom
Best Players: E. Miller, M. Longbottom, L. Smith, I. Moller, B. Goold, N. Moore
NORTH ADELAIDE
Goal Kickers: L. Minervini 3, R. Smoker 2, D. Nixon, J. Scrutton, K. LeBois, J. Sweet, J. Wohling
Best Players: B. Jarman, J. Wohling, T. Rogers, J. Sweet, K. LeBois

What level was that game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boys I would be looking at two Vic country boys in the draft besides the ones that are often mentioned. Young Josh Simpkin is a an absolute gun and is someone we do not have a lot of - very very quick and evasive - a smart footballer and an inside outside mid. Lets hope he drops to our pick. I would take him straight away as out number one selection.

The other has been mentioned occasionally. Alex Withernden is another who would look good in a Crows Guernsey. He played on a half back flank this year but his junior football has been in the guts. He is smooth as butter wit his movements - is a good size and would give us the height and class we need in the midfield.

Both boys broke their legs earlier in the year so have not been seen playing football this year.

Boys I would be looking at two Vic country boys in the draft besides the ones that are often mentioned. Young Josh Simpkin is a an absolute gun and is someone we do not have a lot of - very very quick and evasive - a smart footballer and an inside outside mid. Lets hope he drops to our pick. I would take him straight away as out number one selection.

The other has been mentioned occasionally. Alex Withernden is another who would look good in a Crows Guernsey. He played on a half back flank this year but his junior football has been in the guts. He is smooth as butter wit his movements - is a good size and would give us the height and class we need in the midfield.

Both boys broke their legs earlier in the year so have not been seen playing football this year.

Not too sure Jy Simpkin has ever demonstrated that he has any "inside" mid ability on what I've seen, no doubt he's super talented and highly skilled so I guess you are speculating he could furnish into an inside/outside midfielder?? I see him projecting more as an outside type playing wing/HFF in the Wayne Milera mould personally or even running off the back of the square in a role similar to what Pyke has used Cameron and Betts in this year.

Interview with Willem Drew at the 3 minute 44 second point.
Inside 60 with Max Scales at 7 minute point.

Last edited:
Not too sure Jy Simpkin has ever demonstrated that he has any "inside" mid ability on what I've seen, no doubt he's super talented and highly skilled so I guess you are speculating he could furnish into an inside/outside midfielder?? I see him projecting more as an outside type playing wing/HFF in the Wayne Milera mould personally or even running off the back of the square in a role similar to what Pyke has used Cameron and Betts in this year.

You have power rankings or phantom draft Bicks? You seem to be all over it, be keen to see how you rate all the talent, and who you think we can snatch in the draft...

... and apologies if you have covered this somewhere else already.

This weeks episode of the Road to the Draft is up...

Last edited:
http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4130901/drew-at-home-on-big-stage-ahead-of-finals/?cs=63

North Ballarat Rebel Willem Drew is raring to go ahead of the TAC Cup finals series

He’s a contested ball beast and a clearance king. North Ballarat Rebel Willem Drew has all the attributes to catch the eye of the AFL recruiters.

Drew is one of five Rebels selected to attend October’s National Draft Combine and is preparing for the TAC Cup finals series following the side’s top four finish.

The 188cm midfielder has averaged 23 possessions and seven tackles across his 13 TAC Cup matches – named in the Rebels best on 12 occasions.

His ability to win the ball on the inside and breakaway into space is a feature of the smooth-moving midfielder’s game.

Versatility is a huge part of modern football and Drew has shown he is no one-trick pony, playing off the half-back line at times as well as being a dangerous option in attack – kicking 10 goals this season.

Drew has worked closely on his fitness base and clean hands around the stoppage throughout 2016 and while his season has been an impressive one he is firmly focused on improving his game and having an equally productive finals campaign beginning on Saturday.

“I’m absolutely pumped (for finals), the boys can’t wait to get in there and give it a crack,” Drew said.

“That’s one of the main reasons you play footy – to try and play finals.

“It was a pretty big surprise (to be selected for the National Draft Combine).

“There’s a lot that can happen between now and then, I’m just taking it one week at a time.”

North Ballarat Rebels talent manager Phil Partington said Drew had benefited from his “enormous” preseason leading into the all-important final year of TAC Cup.

Partington said the inside-midfielder was one of the hardest workers both on and off the field. Doing extensive amounts of training over the summer while he was one of the club’s most proactive players when it came to seeking advice and working with the coaches.

Partington is well aware of the significant step it is from TAC Cup football to the AFL landscape but was confident Drew was the type of player that would catch the eye of recruiters.

“Stepping up from the TAC to the AFL is huge,” Partington said.

“Willem’s personality and the way he works to get the best out of himself gives him a great head-start for hopefully getting into the AFL world.”

Partington spoke volumes of the youngster who has improved a range of areas in his game throughout his time in the Rebels system.

But one of Drew’s biggest strengths is something that can’t be registered on the stat sheet or developed on in the weights room and that’s his ability to thrive on the big moments.

“He’s one of those players you can rely on week in week out to perform to a top level.

“He’s the sort of player that when we have a big game he performs and that’s one thing the AFL clubs are looking for – players that perform under pressure.

“The ability to handle pressure both on and off the ground is a really good trait to have at the next level.”

Hisham Kerbatieh would be worth a look IMO, surprisingly went undrafted last year and has played some really outstanding footy in the VFL this year, oodles of footy smarts, great skillset and deserving of a shot at AFL, would be a great get as a rookie.

Hisham Kerbatieh would be worth a look IMO, surprisingly went undrafted last year and has played some really outstanding footy in the VFL this year, oodles of footy smarts, great skillset and deserving of a shot at AFL, would be a great get as a rookie.

Is he going to state combine ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back