Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

So with picks 43, 53 and 67 who would we realistically get assuming ROB is upgraded at 89? Or do we get Jarman at 89 and upgrade ROB at 107? If so is there anyone worth getting at 89 apart from Jarman or that is a good get?

So with picks 43, 53 and 67 who would we realistically get assuming ROB is upgraded at 89? Or do we get Jarman at 89 and upgrade ROB at 107? If so is there anyone worth getting at 89 apart from Jarman or that is a good get?
Can we upgrade after the draft?

Any chance?

Nightmare description
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2014-phantom-draft.1042773/
Alec Waterman - Pick 4 (WCE – F/S): One of the better performed midfielders and one for West Coast fans to get excited about. Waterman is a hard midfielder who can win his own ball inside the contest but also find it outside the contest. He’s a damaging ball user by foot with some penetration on his kick which complimented by his vision allows him to make his touches more damaging than most with the targets he can hit. He’s got an effective running game as someone who can run all day but then also be an effective burst runner.

I'd reckon some of the SA boys would be worth a rookie spot or late draft picks if we have list space, guys like Jamie Hampton a medium mid/def with oodles of speed and X factor, Tyson Stengle a small forward that offers speed, innate goal sense and tackling pressure, Jake Pitman a 177cm inside bull with good disposal, Jackson Lee a 185cm inside/outside mid, talls like Mitch Carter and Lewis Young, Medium Mid, ball magnet Jake Commitogiani etc

Must be daunting for the young draftees with some of the ridiculous questions clubs put to them during the interview process..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the...k=d3d294e9b6990fd3be2eae0127209cc8-1477212933

The weirdest questions asked by AFL clubs during interviews with draftees at national combine
But on top of participating in gruelling fitness trials like the beep test and 3km time trial, as well as undertaking dozens of media interviews, aspiring draftees then also have to confront several AFL clubs in an interview environment.

And some of the questions thrown their way this year would catch almost any interviewee off-guard.

RESULTS: WHO WON WHAT AT AFL DRAFT COMBINE

While aspiring AFL players meet with clubs right throughout the season, their interviews during the national combine go to a new level.

Eastern Ranges on-baller Dylan Clarke said meetings differ greatly.

“The chats at the combine are a bit daunting,” Clarke told foxfooty.com.au.

“Some clubs have two blokes in there and more of a free-flowing conversation. Then you go into the next room and there’s seven blokes in there and they are just rapid fire questions.”

Clarke said each player had to “be prepared for anything” going into each interview, but added that you can’t afford to present yourself as someone you’re not.

“While it can be a bit daunting, you still want to enjoy the experience and make the most of it,” Clarke said.

“You don’t want to be a robot and give them structured answers that you think they want to hear. You want to answer with things that reflect your values and what you actually believe, which I think is very important.”

Clarke was one of several players during the combine that revealed tofoxfooty.com.au the weirdest questions they had been asked by clubs.
“I got a question midway through the year that was something like ‘spell quadangle backwards’ — is that even a word? It might’ve been quadrangle,” he laughed.

“Then divide 700 and something by three. It was a bit strange.”

Murray Bushrangers midfielder Will Brodie — widely tipped to be a top 10 pick come November’s national draft — also had an interesting experience.

“I’ve found there’s a lot of mind games and they throw a lot of curly questions,” Brodie said.

“One club asked me that if I was driving and my brother was in the back seat with a broken leg and I was at a red light, would I go straight through it?”

Several players’ maths skills were put to the test — Murray’s Todd Marshall claims he had to “count backwards from the 700s by 72s, so that was weird and pretty tough” — while others said they had been asked to spell some words backwards.

Will Setterfield had to spell “sausage” in reverse, Alex Witherden copped “Adelaide”, Jack Scrimshaw had “avocado” and Tim Taranto got “Washington”.

Speaking of Taranto, the Sandringham Dragons star was left startled by one club in particular.

“I can’t remember who asked it, but probably the hardest one was a club asked me to tell them every reason why they shouldn’t draft me,” Taranto said.
“I pretty much just had to list everything I was average at.”

North Ballarat’s Jarrod Berry was asked to reveal “the most illegal thing I’d done”.

“I wasn’t expecting that, it threw me for a little bit and I had to think about it,” Berry said.

Quite rightly, Berry didn’t reveal his answer to foxfooty.com.au.

And then there was Gold Coast academy prospect Jack Bowes, who was left stumped by one question during a club meeting.

“I was asked by one recruiter: ‘Why did you make the All-Australian side at the national champs this year?’ I just, you know, found that pretty funny actually,” Bowes laughed.

“I felt like saying: ‘I don’t know mate, ask the selectors.’ It’s hard to answer.”

Roo on MMM said we have enough outside run so it's pretty clear which type of midfielder we will be going for.
We need players that can attack the inside ball with speed but also use their speed to break away from packs. Not purely outside types. Bulldogs , Sydney and Hawks have plenty of these types and that's why they dominate. We need mids that have enough speed to chain link and spread but can get their hands dirty.

You have obviously never seen Jamie play.
Kid has genuine X Factor

Ive seen him play 4 or 5 times, maybe a Rookie spot, he needs to be less selfish and not so lazy, but get those two problems out of his game and might make it, but would need to be done from a rookie position to give him a goal to reach! has some pace though and is a good size

Any chance?

Nightmare description
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2014-phantom-draft.1042773/
Alec Waterman - Pick 4 (WCE – F/S): One of the better performed midfielders and one for West Coast fans to get excited about. Waterman is a hard midfielder who can win his own ball inside the contest but also find it outside the contest. He’s a damaging ball user by foot with some penetration on his kick which complimented by his vision allows him to make his touches more damaging than most with the targets he can hit. He’s got an effective running game as someone who can run all day but then also be an effective burst runner.
Very very strong family ties to WA. His brother is in this years draft.

You have obviously never seen Jamie play.
Kid has genuine X Factor
I've seen him play a few times
The running with the ball bit is exciting but the rest of it is inconsistent and the defending part is poor

I don't think we need another Hampton as they are quite similar in strengths and weaknesses and there is enough doubt on curtly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3020-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=48773749
Draft Watch: Bendigo’s Kobe Mutch

Consistency of performance is a trait many under-age footballers sometimes struggle to find, but Bendigo Pioneers midfielder Kobe Mutch had no such problems in 2016.

The 187cm Gol Gol, NSW product is a member of the GWS Academy and represented the AFL Academy in exhibition games, Bendigo in the TAC Cup and NSW/ACT Rams and Allies representative teams at various times during the year, but rarely dropped his level of hard-nosed play.

Mutch averaged 34 disposals and seven marks per game in four TAC Cup home-and-away matches and also earned selection on the interchange in the U18 All Australian team after averaging 22 disposals per game in four matches for the Allies in Division 1 of the NAB AFL U18 Championships.

taccup.com.au talked to Mutch at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine.

How have you been selling yourself as a footballer to AFL clubs in interviews at the Combine?

“I think my knowledge on footy is pretty high. I try to back my instinct in footy knowledge and show that I know a lot about the game.”

What is the strangest question you’ve been asked by an AFL club?

“I got asked: ‘What are your impulses?’ ... I said: ‘What do you mean ‘impulses’?!’”

What parts of your game do you know you’d need to work on if you were drafted?

“The scrutiny around AFL is pretty high. Going into an AFL environment where you’re always scrutinised about every single thing you do, that’d be pretty tough I reckon.”

Which AFL players do you particularly like to watch and model your game on?

“I don’t model my game on anyone, but I like watching the best midfielders of every team and learning different parts of their game. I watch (Sydney’s) Dan Hannebery a fair bit – I like his work rate and his gut-run.”

How do you think your year turned out relative to your pre-season expectations?

“I was pretty happy with my season; I thought it was pretty consistent. Unfortunately as a team – for the Allies and Bendigo Pioneers – we didn’t get the success that we would have liked.”

Describe what it was like playing for the Allies against some of your Bendigo teammates who were representing Vic Country in Division 1 of the U18 Championships.

“Playing against Joe Atley, Cooper Jones and Braidon Blake was different, because you train with them all throughout the year and do a pre-season with them, but once you’re out there I guess you’re just focused on winning the footy and winning the game. Me and Cooper had a bit of banter, but not too much.”

Describe your experience as part of the GWS Academy so far.

“I was lucky enough in the (2016) pre-season to spend two weeks there (at GWS) and train in their facilities with the AFL players and get a lot of knowledge out of their coaches and assistant coaches. Also, I was lucky enough to spend a week there during the year seeing how they prepared for a game against Collingwood.”

What do you think was your best performance of the year individually?

“When I played for NSW/ACT in the Division 2 U18 Championships against Queensland, we won the game and I thought I had a pretty big impact (32 disposals, six inside-50s, four clearances, four tackles).”

Talk about why you think your teammates at the Combine are so highly rated.

- Joseph Atley: “He’s a warrior. His contested footy is first-class and he’s pretty clean below his knees. He’s pretty competitive around the footy and I think he’ll make a good AFL player.”

If you weren’t possibly going to become a full-time footballer, what would you be doing in life in the next few years?

“I honestly don’t know. Maybe getting into a real-estate course, but I’m just focused on footy at the moment.”

Who’s your tip for the no.1 NAB AFL Draft pick?

“I think it’s hard to go past (North Ballarat’s) Hugh McCluggage. He’s probably the stand-out and he’s had a very good year.”

So we didn't finish Top 4 and didn't bring in any elite midfield talent during Trade Week, yet three of the Top 4 teams go to the draft in a better position than us.

Good signs :thumbsu:

This is why improvements in players like Milera, Shooter, Cameron, Lever, Hampton, Seedsman, Rat, Menzel, Doedee and the Crouch brothers is so important

There is still much scope for improvement

Must be daunting for the young draftees with some of the ridiculous questions clubs put to them during the interview process..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the...k=d3d294e9b6990fd3be2eae0127209cc8-1477212933

The weirdest questions asked by AFL clubs during interviews with draftees at national combine
But on top of participating in gruelling fitness trials like the beep test and 3km time trial, as well as undertaking dozens of media interviews, aspiring draftees then also have to confront several AFL clubs in an interview environment.

And some of the questions thrown their way this year would catch almost any interviewee off-guard.

RESULTS: WHO WON WHAT AT AFL DRAFT COMBINE

While aspiring AFL players meet with clubs right throughout the season, their interviews during the national combine go to a new level.

Eastern Ranges on-baller Dylan Clarke said meetings differ greatly.

“The chats at the combine are a bit daunting,” Clarke told foxfooty.com.au.

“Some clubs have two blokes in there and more of a free-flowing conversation. Then you go into the next room and there’s seven blokes in there and they are just rapid fire questions.”

Clarke said each player had to “be prepared for anything” going into each interview, but added that you can’t afford to present yourself as someone you’re not.

“While it can be a bit daunting, you still want to enjoy the experience and make the most of it,” Clarke said.

“You don’t want to be a robot and give them structured answers that you think they want to hear. You want to answer with things that reflect your values and what you actually believe, which I think is very important.”

Clarke was one of several players during the combine that revealed tofoxfooty.com.au the weirdest questions they had been asked by clubs.
“I got a question midway through the year that was something like ‘spell quadangle backwards’ — is that even a word? It might’ve been quadrangle,” he laughed.

“Then divide 700 and something by three. It was a bit strange.”

Murray Bushrangers midfielder Will Brodie — widely tipped to be a top 10 pick come November’s national draft — also had an interesting experience.

“I’ve found there’s a lot of mind games and they throw a lot of curly questions,” Brodie said.

“One club asked me that if I was driving and my brother was in the back seat with a broken leg and I was at a red light, would I go straight through it?”

Several players’ maths skills were put to the test — Murray’s Todd Marshall claims he had to “count backwards from the 700s by 72s, so that was weird and pretty tough” — while others said they had been asked to spell some words backwards.

Will Setterfield had to spell “sausage” in reverse, Alex Witherden copped “Adelaide”, Jack Scrimshaw had “avocado” and Tim Taranto got “Washington”.

Speaking of Taranto, the Sandringham Dragons star was left startled by one club in particular.

“I can’t remember who asked it, but probably the hardest one was a club asked me to tell them every reason why they shouldn’t draft me,” Taranto said.
“I pretty much just had to list everything I was average at.”

North Ballarat’s Jarrod Berry was asked to reveal “the most illegal thing I’d done”.

“I wasn’t expecting that, it threw me for a little bit and I had to think about it,” Berry said.

Quite rightly, Berry didn’t reveal his answer to foxfooty.com.au.

And then there was Gold Coast academy prospect Jack Bowes, who was left stumped by one question during a club meeting.

“I was asked by one recruiter: ‘Why did you make the All-Australian side at the national champs this year?’ I just, you know, found that pretty funny actually,” Bowes laughed.

“I felt like saying: ‘I don’t know mate, ask the selectors.’ It’s hard to answer.”

Thoughts on Alex Witherden, Bicks? Reckon he might be on our radar. Was asked by a club to spell "Adelaide" backwards, plays off half back and had an injury effected final year. Sounds like a Crows pick... ;)

Thoughts on Alex Witherden, Bicks? Reckon he might be on our radar. Was asked by a club to spell "Adelaide" backwards, plays off half back and had an injury effected final year. Sounds like a Crows pick... ;)
Played mainly half back in his under age year, ordinary speed wise, very good disposal, smart footballer, only way I see us taking him is if Hamish thinks he can transition into the midfield...of the two youngsters that broke legs Jy Simpkin has far more X factor and would be my preference of the two.

When does Grigg get delisted?
At the moment we have 5 off the list. We need that 6th spot surely.
You'd think OBrien is certain to come on.
I dare say one of Keath Greenwood and Beech would too.

I reckon with this draft we would want 4 picks considering how deep it is.
Then there is Michael Barlow potentially as well.

At least one more must still come off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back