Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I doubt CEY will be traded.

Jaensch, probably around $150-200k at a guess.

Not a chance in hell he was on that little.

Draftees are on $60k-$80k, match payments are generally around $4k a game.

Jaensch probably on $250-$300k plus reduced match payments.

MOD COMMENT: This is part 2 of our previous 2016 Off Season thread which was ended as it was nearing the 10,000 post limit. The old thread can be found here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/possible-trades-for-2016.1115989/page-397#post-46180428

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also worth noting that the contract was signed before the achilles injury. That injury has significantly reduced his output during that 3-year period.

Depending on how you define output, that's not true.

It reduced his output as in games played.

But his actual output when he played was already in terminal decline before he did his Achilles.

Pick 64 for Mackay is realistic - we'll get more for him that that. He's an experienced player, should be depth for us, but would be 12-18 player for a bottom side, and he's a good citizen.

Re Grigg; he'll be traded - or don't you trust me? ;)

I expect Kelly to be traded as well; with Lever and Doedee, he's now event further back, and he's good enough to he playing AFL. Late second maybe?

Late second is very optimistic for Kelly

Don't know anything but what I think might happen is
Kelly to Collingwood for their 3rd. Also to allow Henderson to go across as a FA easily
Adelaide receive end of 2nd for the FA
Adelaide 1st, Collingwood 3rd, CEY (don't think it was a surprise his only game he played was against Brisbane) for Rockliff and Brisbanes 2nd
Maybe a chance to do a straight swap for Mackay for Trengrove. Would give us better mid back up and hopefully the move home for both work well.
Think also Grigg gets another 1 year contract due to us only having later draft picks and a couple of other delisting
2 picks in second round and use 3rd for Jarman

Which article? The one from today with multiple sources from inside the negotiations. The one that was quoted.

It is a matter for the courts to decide if the wronged party decided to take it that far, when legal advice has recommended not to and advised they wouldn't succeed.

And then - if the contract IS nullified, against the advice and wishes of the AFL, do they immediately become DFA's? That is a status defined by the AFL and this would be precedent setting. It may be determined that a contract being broken instead of naturally concluding means the player needs to enter the draft.

In any event - no one wanted it to happen, no one knew whether it could happen, and it didn't happen. So anyone thinking that the Essendon 12 would just be easily granted all of the rights of a DFA and the AFL would roll over were clearly wrong.
I'm no lawyer, but a previous role involved in contract compliance, and even my limited knowledge and reading the relevant clauses about players having grievances against the club leads me to believe the players had no legal standing to break the contract.

That's before taking into account that if the players did have grievances, they should have resolved them before any contract renewals post 2012, which was most of the remaining players - only Hurley I believe hadn't signed a new deal (until this week) after the 'darkest day in sport'.

It's been clear in my mind for a while that no - one would be able to walk out for free. That's without any 'ruling' by the AFL (and i enjoyed your thoughts about that).

Apprently VB is one of our highest paid at the moment due to a backended contract.

Smells like pure s**t stirring to me. VBs contract is more likely to have been front ended or mid humped given other circumstances, and the likeliest to be top for this year was Jacobs, given that he signed a 3 year extension in August last year, with the club already knowing Dangerfield was gone, and they weren't bringing in anyone big in trade.

Even then, VB hasn't been getting match payments, which make up a decent portion of every contract, whether they're noted to be on a "performance/incentive based" contract or not. There's not a chance he's among the top 5 earners this year.

Last edited:
YOUR CLUB’S CURRENT DRAFT POSITION

ADELAIDE 16, 52, 70

BRISBANE LIONS 2, 20, 27 (from StK via Coll), 47 (from NM), 56, 74

CARLTON 4, 22, 40, 48 (from WB)

COLLINGWOOD 25, 43, 61

ESSENDON 1, 19, 37, 55

FREMANTLE 3, 39, 57

GEELONG 33, 38 (from BL), 51, 69, 86 (from GWS)

GOLD COAST 5, 10 (from Melb), 21 (from Frem), 23, 24 (from Rich), 26 (from PA), 41, 59

GWS GIANTS 7 (from Coll), 14, 15 (from Geel via Carl), 32, 34 (from Adel), 50, 68

HAWTHORN 18, 36, 54, 72

MELBOURNE 28, 46, 64

NORTH MELB 11, 29, 63

PORT ADELAIDE 8, 44, 62

RICHMOND 6, 42, 60

ST KILDA 9, 45, 63

SYDNEY 17, 35, 53

WEST COAST 13, 31, 49, 67

W BULLDOGS 12, 30, 58 (from Carl), 66, 71 (from Syd)

Kelly to Collingwood for their 3rd. Also to allow Henderson to go across as a FA easily
Adelaide 1st, Collingwood 3rd, CEY (don't think it was a surprise his only game he played was against Brisbane) for Rockliff and Brisbanes 2nd
Maybe a chance to do a straight swap for Mackay for Trengrove. Would give us better mid back up and hopefully the move home for both work well.
Think also Grigg gets another 1 year contract due to us only having later draft picks and a couple of other delisting
These sort of trades are getting annoying.
You want to upgrade brisbanes pick 20 to pick 16-18, and then trade rockliff for CEY and 3rd rounder? Never going to happen.

ADELAIDE 16, 52, 70

COLLINGWOOD 25, 43, 61

ESSENDON 1, 19, 37, 55

FREMANTLE 3, 39, 57

GOLD COAST 5, 10 (from Melb), 21 (from Frem), 23, 24 (from Rich), 26 (from PA), 41, 59

GWS GIANTS 7 (from Coll), 14, 15 (from Geel via Carl), 32, 34 (from Adel), 50, 68

HAWTHORN 18, 36, 54, 72

MELBOURNE 28, 46, 64

NORTH MELB 11, 29, 63

PORT ADELAIDE 8, 44, 62

RICHMOND 6, 42, 60

ST KILDA 9, 45, 63

SYDNEY 17, 35, 53

Sucked in Port, their second pick would have been a good one

I like this post. Structured and reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$450k??

You know that's only just above average wage, right?

Are you saying that Rockliff is only just above a standard bog average player??

He is not bog average. But I dont know if he is a-grade. He is much lower in my reckoning than that of B. Crouch.

Rockcliff would be a great get for any club. Under-estimating him because he plays for Brisbane is the same SH!T that has happened to Adelaide players by non-SA types for years. If we end up with BCrouch / Sloane / Rockcliff in the middle, I would not be devastated !

Check out his numbers ...

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-brisbane-lions--tom-rockliff

View attachment 278540

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d2=20&type=A&pid1=292&pid2=3184&fid1=S&fid2=S

He is basically a direct replacement for Scott Thompson. From their stats this season their tackling numbers are identical. Rockliff is getting an extra 2 kicks and an extra 2 handballs a game than Thommo. To me that is not that impressive when you consider A) He is the main man in that team B) Thommo is at the end of his career and half of the fans are now wanting him to retire.

I agree that we do need to replace Thommo, but I think we have that solution internally with the Crouch boys and Lyons. I would rather trade for a pacy mid with elite delivery by foot and hand. If we cant get somebody like O'Meara who fits this bill, then I would rather keep our picks and go to the draft. But as I have said before, if we do manage to get Rockcliff for unders in terms of trade and his wages then I wouldn't say no. But I wouldn't want us to block our ability to keep this really talented squad together when contracts expire in the next 2 seasons.

ADELAIDE 16, 52, 70

COLLINGWOOD 25, 43, 61

ESSENDON 1, 19, 37, 55

FREMANTLE 3, 39, 57

HAWTHORN 18, 36, 54, 72

MELBOURNE 28, 46, 64

NORTH MELB 11, 29, 63

PORT ADELAIDE 8, 44, 62

RICHMOND 6, 42, 60

ST KILDA 9, 45, 63

SYDNEY 17, 35, 53

Geelongs terrible picks again, what picks did they have last year? It was terrible wasn't it? Jeez two years in a row with very s**t picks, not what you want to be doing whilst turning over their senior championship players.

Geelongs terrible picks again, what picks did they have last year? It was terrible wasn't it? Jeez two years in a row with very s**t picks, not what you want to be doing whilst turning over their senior championship players.
They've gone all in for this year .....huge gamble .....IMO it'll fail and they'll have to do a mini rebuild

You haven't a clue to quote this as "first hand" info ......are you part of the footy dept (coach, recruiter ect) .....if not you're as clueless as the rest

If that's the case, then what makes you so correct in your ridiculous statements?

Here are these piss poor journos who care more about their ego and state bias over anything else, and you treat their word like gospel.

Then you go parading around this board with this whole "**** you, I'm right!" attitude, but yet you knew nothing while the scenario was unfolding. If the situation happens to fall your way then you pretend like you knew, Captain Hindsight come on down!!!:cool:

All you do is literally act as a mouthpiece on this forum for what the journo's have said, you know that most of on here can read yeah? I just don't understand this attitude you put on as if YOU knew what was really going on all along and there was no way on hell things could have unfolded differently, and then everyone else around here is "clueless". Your word is final hey...

Whether or not you choose to believe that we were right amongst the suitors for Hurley, then that's completely up to you. My problem doesn't lie with whether you believe it or not either. I honestly couldn't care less. You did the same thing with Neale, and now Hurley. Please stop, it's making my eyes bleed.

Last edited:
Gws also have 3x first rounders and 2x second rounders which will probably turn into 4 or 5 first rounders due to McCarthy and Steele.
God help us.

This sort of thing will happen every year for at least 10 years

I'm no lawyer, but a previous role involved in contract compliance, and even my limited knowledge and reading the relevant clauses about players having grievances against the club leads me to believe the players had no legal standing to break the contract.

You should have stopped at "I'm no lawyer". ;)

Its been clear in my mind for a while that no - one would be able to walk out for free. That's without any 'ruling' by the AFL (and i enjoyed your thoughts about that).

It's not any ruling by the AFL that will be definitive. If this whole saga has shown Anything it's that the AFL is not an island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back