Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird draft where the top 10 is pretty weak but you could probably put together a decent 18 all up.

1. Tom Stewart
2. Luke Ryan
3. Tim Taranto
4. Andrew Mcgrath
5. Hugh McCluggage
6. Tim English
7. Shai Bolton
8. Nick Larkey
9. Josh Daicos
10. Ollie Florent / Will Hayward

HM. Jordan Ridley, Jy Simpkin, Sam Powell Pepper, Sean Darcy

1. Tom Stewart
2. Luke Ryan
3. Tim Taranto
4. Andrew Mcgrath
5. Hugh McCluggage
6. Tim English
7. Shai Bolton
8. Nick Larkey
9. Josh Daicos
10. Ollie Florent / Will Hayward

HM. Jordan Ridley, Jy Simpkin, Sam Powell Pepper, Sean Darcy
McGrath at 4? Really? You have a back pocket player that has had half an ok season ahead of All Australians?

McGrath ahead of English, Daicos, Bolton, McCluggage?

I rate him, but no, I wouldn’t have thought so.
English I ummmed and uhhhed about

Daicos.J only "popped" in 2023 after promising so much early but finally putting it all together

Bolton has been a dick tease since he was drafted. I trust my wife's netball ability more than Bolton to show up every week in a season

McCluggage - see English. Nice player, but could have, like draft day, could have gone either way and not been wrong

Would have McGrath at a similar level to Daicos but behind Clug, Larkey, Bolton.

Genuinely unsure on how to rate English. Sometimes he impacts games like an out and out star other times he is uncompetitive in the ruck to a big detriment to the dogs midfield

To be fair, I've probably under appreciated just how well Tim Enlighs has gone.
No - you have way over rated McGrath. He has never finished top 3 in Essendons B&F - a team that has been average for a long time.

You can’t put him above All Australians who have proven they can play at a really high level for an entire season.

two time club best and fairest winner, one of which was in a grand final year. He would be thoroughly deserving. Injuries aside the past 18 months, he was incredible before then

Fair shout, he certainly was the club house leader for a few years. His star has fallen a bit since his move to Richmond. Outside top 10 is a bit harsh, but Id have Clugga, Bolton and a couple of others ahead of him.

Would have McGrath at a similar level to Daicos but behind Clug, Larkey, Bolton.

Genuinely unsure on how to rate English. Sometimes he impacts games like an out and out star other times he is uncompetitive in the ruck to a big detriment to the dogs midfield
How? Daicos is an All Australian and a best and fairest winner in a premiership year. That is outstanding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dump kick McGrath?

Not even the best Don from 2016.

That's Jordan Ridley's spot to lose.

The penny has finally dropped with Scrimshaw this year.

Has been coasting on talent alone. Now actually playing with aggression and intensity.

If he fulfils his potential he will be right up there.

IIRC Matty Lloyd who coached him as a junior thought he was the best talent he'd seen.

No - you have way over rated McGrath. He has never finished top 3 in Essendons B&F - a team that has been average for a long time.

You can’t put him above All Australians who have proven they can play at a really high level for an entire season.
I guess Shane Woewodin is a better player than Scott West then in your scale of appreciation

English I ummmed and uhhhed about

Not sure why. He’s ahead of McGrath.

Daicos.J only "popped" in 2023 after promising so much early but finally putting it all together

Daicos is a bit unlucky that his brother is a freak. He’s a terrific footballer in his own right and won a B&F in a premiership year.

Bolton has been a dick tease since he was drafted. I trust my wife's netball ability more than Bolton to show up every week in a season

That’s fine, but he’s still ahead of McGrath. If I’m after consistency I’d take McGrath though.

McCluggage - see English. Nice player, but could have, like draft day, could have gone either way and not been wrong

I don’t think anyone outside a select few Essendon supporters are taking McGrath over McCluggage.

You’re suffering from an extreme case of recency bias.

Not sure why. He’s ahead of McGrath.
Yep, said I probably got this one wrong
Daicos is a bit unlucky that his brother is a freak. He’s a terrific footballer in his own right and won a B&F in a premiership year.
As mentioned, Daicos has been good for 2/8 years at AFL level after wanting to explode for the first 6. Still think overall McGrath's been better
That’s fine, but he’s still ahead of McGrath. If I’m after consistency I’d take McGrath though.
Wish more people would wake up and realise that Shai's highlights hide his mediocrity. Good player but the carry on make him sound like he is one of the best in the comp.
I don’t think anyone outside a select few Essendon supporters are taking McGrath over McCluggage.

You’re suffering from an extreme case of recency bias.
Maybe, as I said in a follow up post, much like draft night, you could go either way with Hugh or Andrew at 4 / 5

As mentioned, Daicos has been good for 2/8 years at AFL level after wanting to explode for the first 6. Still think overall McGrath's been better

Yeah, this simply isn’t true. He’s been playing at a high level for more than 2 years, and he’s certainly ahead of McGrath.

happy to be proven correct but I will stand by my call. Will give credit where credit is due. He did win a B&F in a premiership year

Stand by it all you like, but it’s a bit strange to be discrediting Daicos for being “good for 2/8 years at AFL level”, when the entire reason for you posting your ranking tonight is because McGrath has seemingly finally put it together in his 8th.

Stand by it all you like, but it’s a bit strange to be discrediting Daicos for being “good for 2/8 years at AFL level”, when the entire reason for you posting your ranking tonight is because McGrath has seemingly finally put it together in his 8th.
This its just plain incorrect

Stewart is the clear 1
I dont think you can judge it purely on awards like BnF's and All Australians, i would have McCluggage at 2 despite having neither.
The 3-8 is hard to order, I would rate Ryan closer to 8 than 3.
I would probably have McGrath at 10 behind Will Hayward

In another 5 years itll be bumped again and the order will be different

Remove this Banner Ad

Back