Review 2016 Season Review and Changes for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted in game day:

Disgusted in our choices with injured players this year.
Kept playing Tex with a foot injury that needed a few weeks off and it could have been fine after that but playing on it would prolong it.
Kept playing Brown with a groin injury he is struggling with massively, he gets work on it often at home games I notice this.
Kept playing Jacobs with an ankle injury that has made him totally useless.
Kept playing Jenkins now with an ankle injury that has rendered him useless.
Kept playing Laird when he hurt his toe which resulted in it becoming worse and having to sit out multiple weeks.
There would be others.

It's not that we haven't had injuries, it's that we have kept playing guys with injuries - unlike other clubs.
(Then we have had injuries to others anyway like Hampton, Seeds, Knight, Menzel etc)

It's Sando revisited with Thommo, Petrenko etc etc.

Need to clean out the dead wood. Douglas, Mackay, Grigg. You guys are done

Thommo, please do the right thing and retire. Don't hurt your legacy by hanging around another year too long

We have what should be a very good core. We will get better, but everyone needs to buy in, and everyone needs to play their part.

And as I've said for a few years, we need some good mids. So so badly.
Never going to get away with what we have at our disposal to be a consistent top 4 team which gives you the chance at flags.

We also need to decide to pressure teams as a part of the game of football, not selectively.
And clean out the average to poor - Douglas, Mackay etc.

Year's overall a B-, some welcome promise at stages, but ultimately a huge disappointment. Overtaken by the Dogs, and effective in just dishing up the same old, same old in a big finals match. I'm not at all sold on Pyke.

It's hard to gather much enthusiasm for 2017 unless SIGNIFICANT CHANGES are made.

We need quality mids!

Thommo need to * off with respect. If he goes around again, then I seriously believe Trigg is still running our club.

Campo also needs to be moved on.

Last edited:
Pykey has now had 12 months to have a good look and I hope that round 1 2017 we will see a team run out that reflects the decisions and changes that need to be made to push us up as genuine contenders

Must make the tough call on Thommo

Douglas and DMac can no longer be tolerated

Play Charlie Cameron further up the ground

Brown needs to come under some serious heat

Provide playing opportunities for Milera, Wigg, Hampton and Menzel

This is going to be a messy thread.

Roo saying thommo played well tonight and has had a good year, and it will sort itself out!!!!
I've got a funny feeling he's done though. He has been signed every year before now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not in the worst possition ever, but really need to make some genuine changes. Must look past average older players and replace them with players who will probably be just as good if not better in the next year or so, but have a higher ceiling. Need to really look at the midfield, Crouch obvioulsly hasn't hit his peak but even if he does it is not enough.

Hopefully a few our our SANFL guys like Menzel and Hampton can get it together over the pre-season.

As much as it's one of my least favourite things in the AFL what we really need is for an up and coming gun, from a team we should probably feel sorry for, to come out and say trade me to to the Crows and only the Crows, but that seems unlikely.

Got the core of a young decent backline and forwardline. Both ends are relatively young with the exception of Eddie. Have a window of a couple of years if we can sort out the midfield.

Midfield is weak. Too many one dimensional players without decent disposal. Only reliably good player is Sloane.

Bad luck tonight guys...easily been my second favourite team all year and it sucks we're not both in the prelim, also you easily have the least flogs on BigFooty which makes this place so much more bearable. I really hope we destroy the Cats for you next week.

Charlie is a positive for mine, I really wish for him to make it big. And it's pleasing that he stood up tonight.

Roo saying thommo played well tonight and has had a good year, and it will sort itself out!!!!

When do we stop treating Roo as some sort of saviour? He's not necessarily 'tougher' than anyone else involved in the club.

Charlie is a positive for mine, I really wish for him to make it big. And it's pleasing that he stood up tonight.

When do we stop treating Roo as some sort of saviour? He's not necessarily 'tougher' than anyone else involved in the club.
Early on he was horrendous. Like the Rat everytime he touched it he turned it over

2nd half he was immense and at least tried to drag us back with minimal help.

6th-10th is such an horrible place to be.

Hard to see where we take a real step up. Especially with GWS and Dogs looking good for years to come.

Tex/Jenkins feel very unreliable. So potent but man it's potluck with Tex, and JJ seems only capable of good performances when there's no one in the forward line. Anything crowded and he's useless.

Thompson wins it and can tackle but rarely provides anything beneficial going forward, Mackay, Lyons and Douglas not good enough at the absolute elite level.

Hoping Wigg and Knight can potentially step up but they're really not the difference between 6th and top 2 LBH.

Big game losses against Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, West Coast, Dogs and North (Rnd 1) indicative of where we sit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back