Mr Fonebone

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West Ham
One of the most difficult years the club has had to face.

Blighted by a never-ending run of injuries esp to key players like Fyfe, Johnson, Sandilands and A Pearce and poor form by a number of experienced players the season never got going.

The other big factor was the apparent lack of fitness. The boys seem to continually fail to run out games and were overrun. Myself, I failed to notice any real change in team tactics or game plan. Week after week it was the same old same ol'. Aimless long kicks forward to no one in particluar being of particular annoyance. There was a brief period of 3 weeks where the guys played with rare attacking flare and racked up a couple of huge wins - albeit against weak opposition. It didnt last.

But there were some good signs and positives. Lyon seemed to realise the old guard were not going to cut it anymore and there was a focus on youth with the likes of Weller, Blakely, Apeness, Collins, Tucker, Yarran and Langdon showing plenty at times. The form of Neale , Walters and Hill all year was very good.

A lot to look forward to next year though. A very interesting and crucial off season awaits.

Gets some K's into our legs, some KG's onto a few players and we should improve a lot.

Apeness is a raging bull, but needs to channel this so that he doesn't get suspended.

I think Mayne, Barlow, de Boer, C Pearce, Ibbotson, Clarke all have a future, but I don't think many will be at Freo next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad it's over. Sad to say farewell to our champion in Pav.

A new era begins.

Positives of the season:
- Lachie Neale stepping up and leading our midfield. Should wrap up his first Doig medal. Well done to him. Stoked he's signed on with us.
- Youngsters in Weller, Blakely, Tucker, Collins, Apeness, Langdon and Yarran (if he counts). Another pre season into them to build their fitness. Weller is class.
- Walters stood up too and lifted on many occasions to try and get us over the line. Should be runner up in the Doig. Hill should be third.

Negatives:
- Skills. Awful. Have never seen anything so bad. We could not execute basic skills and that was basically the downfall of our season.
- Poor form from our senior players in particular: Ballantyne, Mayne (perhaps they've played their last games for fremantle?), Mundy, Sutcliffe, Clarke, Danyle Pearce, Suban. Very disappointing to see Mundy have probably his worst ever season.
- Injuries.
- Lack of KPP. Need to have a solid draft and trading season to address this.

Bring on 2017.

ETA: please please please can we keep Barlow.

Last edited:
Glad it's over. Sad to say farewell to our champion in Pav.

A new era begins.

Positives of the season:
- Lachie Neale stepping up and leading our midfield. Should wrap up his first Doig medal. Well done to him. Stoked he's signed on with us.
- Youngsters in Weller, Blakely, Tucker, Collins, Apeness, Langdon and Yarran (if he counts). Another pre season into them to build their fitness. Weller is class.
- Walters stood up too and lifted on many occasions to try and get us over the line. Should be runner up in the Doig. Hill should be third.

Negatives:
- Skills. Awful. Have never seen anything so bad. We could not execute basic skills and that was basically the downfall of our season.
- Poor form from our senior players in particular: Ballantyne, Mayne (perhaps they've played their last games for fremantle?), Mundy, Sutcliffe, Clarke, Danyle Pearce, Suban. Very disappointing to see Mundy have probably his worst ever season.
- Injuries.
- Lack of KPP. Need to have a solid draft and trading season to address this.

Bring on 2017.

I'll add another one to your positives. Today's effort without any real passengers shows that this group can win games. Add in the missing faces and some new shrewd pick-ups and we will storm back next season.

Well thank * that's over.

For me the greatest plus came today. This year we've watched teams ream us week in, week out, by running hard off half back and delivering the ball with precision. You can have all of the big unit defenders you like, but if the ball hits the deck in your backline and you haven't got a composed, elite kick, driving your attack from that very second, you're dead in the water. Over the last six or seven years, from this position, we've lost Roger Hayden, Paul Duffield and I'd give Johnno about 1 more year.

Enter Lachie Weller.

His game today was excellent and if he can consistently provide that kind of drive and elite kicking out of defence, we're a big step closer to pulling ourselves out of this shitswamp. Importantly for me, it appeared that his presence down there also freed up a few of our other defenders. Where ordinarily our defenders are so busy trying to lock down their respective opponents, those players like Ibbo and Hilly became more offensive. I think this is because the forwards have to switch their attention to shutting down some of Weller's creativity and run.

Maybe it wasn't just Weller alone, maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but it certainly looked a lot more organised down back with him in there and a lot smoother coming out of defence; an area we've looked decidedly lacking all year.

Well thank **** that's over.

For me the greatest plus came today. This year we've watched teams ream us week in, week out, by running hard off half back and delivering the ball with precision. You can have all of the big unit defenders you like, but if the ball hits the deck in your backline and you haven't got a composed, elite kick, driving your attack from that very second, you're dead in the water. Over the last six or seven years, from this position, we've lost Roger Hayden, Paul Duffield and I'd give Johnno about 1 more year.

Enter Lachie Weller.

His game today was excellent and if he can consistently provide that kind of drive and elite kicking out of defence, we're a big step closer to pulling ourselves out of this shitswamp. Importantly for me, it appeared that his presence down there also freed up a few of our other defenders. Where ordinarily our defenders are so busy trying to lock down their respective opponents, those players like Ibbo and Hilly became more offensive. I think this is because the forwards have to switch their attention to shutting down some of Weller's creativity and run.

Maybe it wasn't just Weller alone, maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but it certainly looked a lot more organised down back with him in there and a lot smoother coming out of defence; an area we've looked decidedly lacking all year.

100% agree with this, add Hayden Crozier with the left boot and we are starting to compile some genuine speed and kicking skills off HB. Hopefully both those two options are persisted with in the offseason.

Love Tucker's kicking. Looks a footballer and I reckon will be a solid player into next year for the run.

Weller was good but I think I enjoyed Darcy more today.

Nicely weighted kicks and taking attacking options

Love Tucker's kicking. Looks a footballer and I reckon will be a solid player into next year for the run.
I dont want to hype him too much, he is a young kid got a lot of work to do. Saw one of the floating kick to the corridor nearly cause a turnover. If that team is hawthorn will get punish. But he show good sign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back