Review 2017 AFL National Draft - Friday 24th November

Dow, LDU & Rayner are taken. Who do you select at pick 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Joyce - "We'll be umm looking at bolstering our umm midfield with picks umm 4 and 23"

Nek minnut, at Pick 23

Joyce - "We select umm Harrison Petty"
I just hope we take the best available player. I don't see a lot of great mids around the 23 mark. Rather take a good tall than a flanker or mid we don't rate as highly.

Fagan on Rayner
8 mins and 13 min in

Huddo: Do you have any doubts about selecting Cam Rayner and fearing Cam going back home?

Fagan : "No, no, that's not the impression he gave us at all. He is very happy to come up and play at our club, he knows that young players are going to get opportunities at Brisbane, we're building a list, we're in that development phase and certainly if we do pick him, I would imagine he would play in his first year provided he trains hard and delivers on all the parts of our trademarks that we put a value on"

Last edited:
I love that story Dal Santo tells about how when he came to North he did all this media about what North is like and the culture and what attracted him.

Then one day in his first week after training Ziebell waited til the other players were gone and it was only him and NDS in the changing room, and told Dal Santo in no uncertain terms that he wasn't a North player yet and that he, Jack, would let Dal know when he could consider himself a North player.
When did Dal ccome out with this story? I love it. Also, whats the meaning behind the Ziebell and Cunnington shipping container express, I think I missed something but like the sound of it.

Another quick player we could look at is Eastern Ranges Ryley Stoddart .

roos_fanatic08 / Pykie - thoughts on where Ryley may go?

Stats: http://websites.sportstg.com/team_i...03040861&client=1-3020-111714-437836-25836245

Eastern Ranges cement place in TAC Cup top-eight after nine-point win over Northern Knights

Toby Prime, Lilydale & Yarra Valley Leader

August 1, 2017 9:50am

DASHING defender Ryley Stoddart continues to push his AFL draft claims after another impressive showing in the TAC Cup on the weekend.

Stoddart collected 15 disposals across halfback in Eastern Ranges’ hard-fought nine-point win over Northern Knights on Saturday at Box Hill City Oval.

The Blackburn junior played 16 games in the Eastern Football League under-17s competition last year before grabbing the attention of Eastern Ranges scouts.

He is now capturing the interest of AFL recruiters.

The Ranges had Josh Begley and Nathan Mullenger-McHugh plucked from suburban obscurity last year — Stoddart is following a similar path in 2017.

“He’s modern day half-back flanker,” coach Darren Bewick said

“He’s been in the program for eight months now so the upside for him and where he might get to is fairly large.

“He reads the ball really well and he has the courage to attack and give really good rebound and penetration.”

Bewick labelled the 10.11 (71) to 9.8 (62) win Eastern’s best for the season, giving it three victories on the trot and squaring its season at 7-7.

Leading by 16 points at the final change, the Ranges were two players short on the bench in the last quarter after Lucas Woodward and Xavier Fry both suffered concussions.

“We had a lot of boys who were only just getting through the game,” Bewick said.

“I thought their effort and willingness to push through and keep doing the right things enabled us to get a really good win.”

Best afield Cody Hirst proved to be the difference between the two sides with four goals and 19 disposals.

“He’s a very clever player, he is showing a lot of promise,” Bewick said.

“He has come along really well and we’re really happy with how he’s going.”

The Ranges blooded another four debutants, with Daniel Houeix, Jonte Duffy, James Ross and Jamieson Rossiter drenched in a Gatorade shower after the game.

“It all goes well for the future, next year and the year after because we’ve probably played eight to 10 16-year-olds,” Bewick said.

“They’ve all come in and contributed.”
----------------------------------------

Chris25 has him going at 34.

34. St Kilda - Ryley Stoddart (183cm, 73kg from Eastern Ranges)
Wouldn't have been high on the draft radar last year, but has had a very good season after making the move from forward to half back. He's a good runner out of the back lines, and also a nice kick. So has the two key traits that clubs are looking for. A pick up such as Stoddart here, would allow the earlier pick of Coffield to be developed further up the ground in the midfield and off a wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats: http://websites.sportstg.com/team_i...03040861&client=1-3020-111714-437836-25836245

Eastern Ranges cement place in TAC Cup top-eight after nine-point win over Northern Knights

DASHING defender Ryley Stoddart continues to push his AFL draft claims after another impressive showing in the TAC Cup on the weekend.

Stoddart collected 15 disposals across halfback in Eastern Ranges’ hard-fought nine-point win over Northern Knights on Saturday at Box Hill City Oval.

The Blackburn junior played 16 games in the Eastern Football League under-17s competition last year before grabbing the attention of Eastern Ranges scouts.

The Ranges had Josh Begley and Nathan Mullenger-McHugh plucked from suburban obscurity last year — Stoddart is following a similar path in 2017.

“He’s been in the program for eight months now so the upside for him and where he might get to is fairly large.

“He reads the ball really well and he has the courage to attack and give really good rebound and penetration.”

Bewick labelled the 10.11 (71) to 9.8 (62) win Eastern’s best for the season, giving it three victories on the trot and squaring its season at 7-7.

Leading by 16 points at the final change, the Ranges were two players short on the bench in the last quarter after Lucas Woodward and Xavier Fry both suffered concussions.

“We had a lot of boys who were only just getting through the game,” Bewick said.

“I thought their effort and willingness to push through and keep doing the right things enabled us to get a really good win.”

Best afield Cody Hirst proved to be the difference between the two sides with four goals and 19 disposals.

The Ranges blooded another four debutants, with Daniel Houeix, Jonte Duffy, James Ross and Jamieson Rossiter drenched in a Gatorade shower after the game.

“It all goes well for the future, next year and the year after because we’ve probably played eight to 10 16-year-olds,” Bewick said.

Wouldn't have been high on the draft radar last year, but has had a very good season after making the move from forward to half back. He's a good runner out of the back lines, and also a nice kick. So has the two key traits that clubs are looking for. A pick up such as Stoddart here, would allow the earlier pick of Coffield to be developed further up the ground in the midfield and off a wing.

Really like this kid.

Might be a bit early to take him with 23 though. Highly unlikely he's there with our next pick.

Just hope he slides.

Last edited:
Really like this kid.

Might be a bit early to take him with 23 though. Highly unlikely he's there with our next pick.

Just hope he slides.
Video of Ryley :

His best game for Eastern - 30 disposals , took 11 marks, 2 tackles and kicked 1.4. Some serious pace as well.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...s/news-story/a0362f647481476e89173d8e6b40b3ae

2636c0c13dfed310e5e4a3ec880f642e

Eastern Ranges defender Ryley Stoddart has emerged as an AFL draft prospect. Picture: AFL Victoria

Eastern Ranges’ defender Ryley Stoddart looms as selection in AFL draft after emerging from local football ranks
Toby Prime, Whitehorse Leader
October 9, 2017 5:00pm

A SURPRISE move down back has thrust Ryley Stoddart to the attention of AFL scouts after enjoying a breakthrough season at Eastern Ranges.

Stoddart is one of several Ranges players looking to find an AFL home at next month’s draft, but his pathway to the elite level hasn’t been without its setbacks.

The Blackburn product, who turns 18 on Sunday, only found his way on to a TAC Cup list for the first time this season.

It wasn’t until January the dashing defender really caught the attention of Eastern Ranges coach Darren Bewick.

“Once he got a sniff of maybe making the squad and bit of action in terms of playing, I had a quiet word to him in January about where he might be and what he should be doing,” Bewick said.

“Once he embraced everything, his progress was enormous this year.”

After impressing in the opening rounds in the TAC Cup, Stoddart’s season took another unexpected turn when he received a call up for Vic Metro in the under-18 national championships.

“If someone had have said to me I would be right here right now talking to a paper this time last year, I would have laughed at them,” Stoddart said at last week’s AFL draft combine.

“Going from local footy, obviously school footy, stepping up to playing my first couple of TAC Cup games and then being invited down to (Vic) Metro, it is all a dream.”

ba718f4a24819becb25b0e9c0bff1c33

Ryley Stoddart is the nephew of former Hawthorn player Kris Barlow.

Playing his junior football as a forward, Bewick noticed some of Stoddart’s traits — namely his pace — at pre-season training and identified him as a running halfback.

“He came and spoke to me after — it was probably the first time I had spoken to him one-on-one — but he came up and said, ‘I reckon you’ve got real good attributes to be a halfback’,” he said.

“It has been a blessing in disguise, he is a genius.”

Stoddart, the nephew of former AFL players Kris and Paul Barlow, finished the season with 10 TAC Cup games, averaging 17 disposals, five handball receives, four marks and was listed in Eastern Ranges’ best players in seven games.

He identified the Round 1 game against Calder Cannons under lights at Rams Arena as the moment he believed the move to defence could pay off.

He has since spoken to 15 AFL clubs and looms as a likely prospect at next month’s draft.

“I was really nervous but then once I got into it (the game) I was pretty happy with my debut,” he said.

“At the end of the game I remember sitting there thinking, ‘sh*t, this is actually pretty good’.

“I really enjoyed the game, I was loving playing at halfback and that was the moment I thought it could be really good.”

Bewick said Stoddart’s journey from local football to AFL draft contention was a reminder for TAC Cup aspirants to not give up on their dream of reaching the elite level.

“Even as a bottom-age he wasn’t seen fit to come in (to the program) in terms of what he might offer and that is just a classic example that some boys are ready to come in and some aren’t,” Bewick said.

“I think it is a great lesson for all young fellows who are coming through a system that it is not necessarily right them yet at that time but eventually if they keep working it can work for them.”

L Fogarty would he meet our needs at 23

Criminally underrated. If he was 10cm taller he would be one of the best kids in the draft.

Good skills and balanced on either side of the body. Works hard both ways while loving to tackle.

He was far more consistent for the Jets this year than Rayner was but isn't that game breaking type so doesn't get talked about as much.

there's a few other good articles here:

Joel Garner
The Hodge-clone who could be Prime Minister - FOX SPORTS Australia
https://apple.news/AnP-eT5d2T-Ce8KS3UaOY5Q

Ben Paton
Dream season: Mad Tigers fan’s perfect draft rise - FOX SPORTS Australia
https://apple.news/Aq3yiglO1RqmIFFNTccim9A

Ed Richards
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...n/news-story/a9d414e915d07a72a50dd1f5781a7ba5

Love the Ben Paton article ive been keen on him for awhile as a late/rookie option but most draft watchers havnt even mentioned him.

BEN Paton couldn’t have asked for a better 12-month period, or a more remarkable turnaround in football fortune.
Twelve months ago, Paton’s Murray Bushrangers had just lost a tight TAC Cup grand final. He’d also missed out on an invite to the draft combine — as he was eligible to be drafted in 2016 — and received little love from AFL clubs.

Not that it concerned him too much, as a commerce degree — which would eventually help him break into the agricultural industry — beckoned.

“I hadn’t really met with any clubs, but I wasn’t too worried about it anyway,” Paton tells foxfooty.com.au.

“I had plans to come down to Melbourne and have a crack at VFL footy and go to uni.”

Fast-forward one year and the humble, quietly-spoken kid north-east Victoria is on the verge of seeing his second childhood AFL dream become a reality.
The other dream being a Richmond premiership, which he witnessed last month just hours after racking up 21 disposals on the same MCG turf for Team Harvey in the Under 18s All-Stars clash — the curtain-raiser for the Tigers-Crows Grand Final.

For Paton, who models his game on ex-Tiger Brett Deledio — “I looked up to Lids ... until he moved” — September 30, 2017 was a fairly memorable day.

“The household was very up and about. I’ve been brainwashed by them,” Paton says.

A week later, Paton would produce three top-10 results at the AFL draft combine, finishing second in the running vertical jump (99cm), third in the standing vertical jump (80cm) and sixth in the 20m sprint (2.95 seconds).

“It’s been a good few weeks,” an understated Paton laughs.

The reality is Paton wouldn’t have been able to experience AFL Grand Final day at the MCG if it wasn’t for the Bushrangers’ creative thinking and show of faith 12 months earlier — faith Paton has undoubtedly repaid.

MTExMjAxNzExfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzg1YmUxNzE5ODJkMmU2NDk3MjI5NjJlOTEzMzI1ZjMzfDExMTIwMTcxMQ==

Ben Paton was part of the Murray Bushrangers’ TAC Cup grand final loss in 2016. Picture: David CroslingSource: News Corp Australia
As he mentally prepared to move to Melbourne to pursue university and VFL ambitions last year, Bushrangers coach Leon Higgins and then-talent manager Lee Fraser approached Paton with a shock offer.

“I really hadn’t heard much about being asked back as a 19-year-old until after the draft,” Paton reflects.

“It hadn’t really crossed my mind that much. But it was a great privilege and a great opportunity.”

For Higgins, who Paton credits as the biggest influence on his footy journey, the decision to retain Paton as a 19-year-old for the 2017 season — and play him in the defensive 50 — made ample sense.

“We thought he had a lot of attributes for TAC Cup footy,” Higgins told foxfooty.com.au.

“We thought we had quite a strong midfield group in that 2016 team, but we also thought he impacted the game really well as a forward that year. But we just reasoned that AFL recruiters had seen him do all of that and we thought he had all the tools to play as a small defender.

MTExMjAxNzExfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzgzNTRhZWNmMmQzNDAzM2MyYjMzZjk3MThkNWJiYmI4fDExMTIwMTcxMQ==

Ben Paton was a star at TAC Cup level in 2017.Source: FOX SPORTS
“The plan was for him to go forward a lot this year as well, but that didn’t transpire. He showed his marking ability and his speed as a defender, so he got to show some added things that recruiters mightn’t have seen in his first season.”

The move paid immediate dividends for Paton, who quickly developed into one of the TAC Cup’s best mid-sized backmen.

“I’ve been able to use my speed a bit this year to run off and rebound, plus I think my ball use has been really good off both my left and right foot,” Paton says.

Intercepting — a must-have trait for the modern-day AFL defender — has also been one of Paton’s biggest strengths.

According to Champion Data, he ranked second among general defenders in the TAC Cup for intercept possessions, averaging 6.8 per match.

“I think intercepting has come to me naturally,” Paton says.

MTExMjAxNzExfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzhlZjk4MzE4MjMwY2M1NWFiOWQ4YzI0ZDI0ZjE3ZTBhfDExMTIwMTcxMQ==

Ben Paton of Vic Country won All-Australian honours in 2017.Source: Getty Images
“I wasn’t too bad at it all through my junior career. Even just playing through the midfield, I was pushing back and intercepting.”

While his stunning start to the TAC Cup season turned heads, it wasn’t until Paton received an invite to a Vic Country try-out — “that had never happened to me before” — when the prospect of an AFL career became a possibility. And within weeks, many others were thinking similarly.

Not only did Paton make the final Country cut for the national championships, he was selected as a defender in the Under 18 All-Australian team.

“I thought that might be an indication that I was going well,” Paton says

“I was really proud of that. I didn’t really expect much of it at the time, as we had only won one game for the championships. But it gave me confidence that if I can compete against the best players in Australia, why not?”

Following his excellent national carnival, Paton had the opportunity to represent Collingwood in the VFL. Again he impressed in both games.

Playing alongside — and against — many mature AFL-listed bodies, Paton slotted into the Magpies’ side with aplomb, providing ample drive from half-back as he racked up 17 disposals against Werribee then 15 against North Ballarat the week after.

Yet it was as if Paton was already prepared for the step-up in class and bodies, as playing above his size was something he learned to handle early on.

In early 2015, a then 16-year-old Paton was unleashed in the midfield in the Tallangatta and District Football League senior competition, playing 18 games for Mitta United. He would win the club’s best and fairest for the season.

“Playing against men for a year is a great experience and it gets you ready for TAC Cup when you come up against bigger bodies,” Paton says.

MTExMjAxNzExfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxLzI4NmIxZWIwODRiZGRhMjAyNzhiZGEwYmNkOWZmMzFjfDExMTIwMTcxMQ==

Ben Paton of the Murray Bushrangers was one of the oldest players at the AFL draft combine.Source: Getty Images
“There were some big boys too, but it was just another person — that’s how I thought of it. If the ball’s there, you still go for it with the same intensity you would as anyone else.”

Paton comes from great country footy stocks. His father Steve played 190 games for North Albury — the club Paton played a few senior games for in 2016 — and was captain for six seasons.

Steve now operates a dairy and beef farm, which Ben has assisted with in the past. Albeit not too willingly.

“Milking the cows — I don’t think anyone enjoys that,” Paton laughs.

The bright lights of Etihad Stadium is a long way from the north-east corner of Victoria for Paton, who has spent more time in the hustle and bustle of Melbourne this year due to football commitments.

But he doesn’t mind it, as he’s prepared for whatever environment he’s thrown into.

“You can take the lifestyle a little bit for granted when you come down to the city,” Paton says.

MTExMjAxNzExfGN4by5hfGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmZveHNwb3J0cy5jb20uYXUvcG1kL2ltYWdlcy8yMDE3LzEwLzIzLzY0OTE0Ml82NDB4MzYwX2xhcmdlXzIwMTcxMDMxMTMwMTE5LmpwZ3wxMTEyMDE3MTE=

AFL draft: Who will go no.1?

1:19
“But I’ll move regardless next year anyway with uni, so I’m prepared to move anywhere. It doesn’t really bother me.”

Punt Road might be nice.

But wherever Paton is likely to end up at, the club will be picking up a determined and highly-skilled footballer whose remarkable 12-month turnaround has inspired his coach.

“All credit to Ben. He presents himself fantastically physically, he does all the work away from training and he looks after himself very well,” Higgins says.

“He decided he’d give it another crack, he gave it everything he possibly could and hopefully it works out for him in the end.”

BEN PATON

Clubs: Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country

Position: Medium Defender

Size: 185cm, 78kg

Draft Range: 30-50

Criminally underrated. If he was 10cm taller he would be one of the best kids in the draft.

Good skills and balanced on either side of the body. Works hard both ways while loving to tackle.

He was far more consistent for the Jets this year than Rayner was but isn't that game breaking type so doesn't get talked about as much.

Would you have Lachlan rated ahead of Zac Bailey?

Trying to assess the options at ~23 hasnt been an easy task.

I just stumbled upon an article about changes to the rookie list under the new CBA. This is news to me, as it makes the process of upgrading rookies and the LTI list defunct by my reading of it. It would also mean that there is no need to use a pick on upgrading Zurhaar. And Watson's LTI status is irrelevant to rookies getting selected. It's like Category A rookies just become an extension of the senior list. Is this common knowledge or have I misread?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/06/20/at-long-last-afl-and-players-lock-in-a-new-game-changing-cba/

Changes to the rookie list
Some significant changes have also been made to how the rookie list will function, and the wages that rookie-listed players will receive.

The rookie list minimum wage will now increase to $71,500 per year, and Category-A listed rookie players (those taken in the rookie draft) will be eligible to play senior football in 2018 without needing to wait for an elevation to the senior list.

Clubs will still be required to list 4-6 Category A rookies, to make a total of 44 combined with the required 38-40 senior listed players.

They will also be allowed to list as many as three Category B rookies (rookies signed internationally, from another sport, or through other unique circumstances), but are not required to have any if they do not wish to.
Send it to Adelaide

An aaron mullet type?

Adelaide rolls dice with possible father-son draft pick Jackson Edwards

Andrew Capel, The Advertiser
November 1, 2017 6:27pm

ADELAIDE is at serious risk of losing father-son prospect Jackson Edwards to a rival club.

The Crows’ eleventh-hour decision to trade pick 91 to North Melbourne for veteran ball magnet Sam Gibson and upgrading of rookies Hugh Greenwood and Alex Keath to the senior list has left them short of draft selections and playing a dangerous waiting game.

Adelaide has nominated Edwards – the oldest son of 321-game club great Tyson Edwards – as its second-ever father-son pick, behind his cousin Ben Jarman, who was taken as a rookie last year.

But with only two live selections (12 and 39) at the November 24 player lottery, the Crows, who currently do not believe Edwards is worth taking that high, will not have the draft arsenal to match a bid for Edwards should a rival call his name after they have used their second pick.

Adelaide has committed only to taking the left-footed midfielder in the rookie draft – he automatically becomes a Crow if he slips that far – and, at this stage, says it won’t use one of its two live national draft picks on him. The Crows also have selections 77 and 109 but they have been preserved for upgrading big-bodied midfielder Greenwood and key defender Keath, who played AFL this year and are considered fine long-term players.

Adelaide also had pick 91 but offloaded it to the Kangaroos to bring in 31-year-old midfielder/half-back Gibson, who finished sixth in the Roos’ club champion award this year and is a good insurance policy for injured rebounding defender Brodie Smith, who will miss most of next season following a knee reconstruction.

“There is always that possibility and a little bit of risk there,’’ chief executive Andrew Fagan said of the chance of the Crows letting Edwards slip through their grasp.

“We’ll have to stick true to our talent order through the draft. Should he be available after the national draft, then we will certainly pick him up.”

Edwards, who played four league games for Glenelg this year, is widely projected to be in the 35-70 draft range.

But AFL list analyst and four-times Hawthorn premiership player Gary Buckenara has rated him as his 25th-best prospect.

“He has really come on this year, has good skills and makes good decisions because he is composed with the footy in hand,’’ Buckenara said of Edwards.

The knock on Edwards, who is a good size at 186cm and 77kg, is his lack of speed.

But he is a natural ballwinner who uses it well and is renowned for being super-professional with his preparation.

He is not dissimilar to Crows club champion Matt Crouch in the way he plays.

Fagan said the Edwards family are well aware of where Jackson sits in their pecking order.

“We’ve been in constant dialogue with Jackson and his family,” Fagan said.

“They know there is a commitment to take him in the rookie draft.

“It doesn’t provide a promise to Jackson that we will get him, so there is a little bit of risk there, but we will stick true to our talent order in the draft.

“It’s all about the balance of the team.’’

Back