2017 Chat with the Club - now with answers see OP

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't think individual players are capable of forming views on their direct employers based upon their behaviour in bargaining negotiations?

I am quite certain that they don't, even without the opaque transparency of club participation

the risk that a player will base his own career and economic decisions on perceptions of entity participation in a collective negotiation might be non-zero, but for me they're close

What might well impact us as a club are collective industry provisions that do not naturally suit our innate circumstances, but that is then for us to participate and lobby for.

What are the odds do you think?

Honestly don't know. But I'm sure they have an opinion if it affects the club.
They had a long protracted dispute with the Adelaide Oval deal trying to get a better result.
This also seems to be dragging on and I hope the club is/clubs are, still trying to better their position/s. Mind you these things do leak and it's been quiet pretty much from the clubs. Well I haven't heard anything, but then I have zero contacts in AFL circles.

Just come across Andrew Fagans speech to the members at the AGM, there seems to be some more expansion on some of the stuff asked here.

I wonder then should the BF Board/Crowcast group ask for the interview after the AGM? That way some questions may come from that as well

There's obvious concern over some of Fagans answers, such as his answer about getting the best football department and recruiting marquee players. Was this identified during the meeting and were follow up questions asked?

I understand wanting to maintain a good relationship, and I also understand that Fagan has made himself approachable and won't back down from being questioned or given concerns from the supporter group, but I'd really like to be able to give him the response that is being given here.

"Are you saying that we have the best football department, and now we aren't having to put much effort into it?"

"Marquee signings are difficult? That sounds like a bit of a cop out. What about making things happen. And if you can't, appoint someone who can"

"It honestly doesn't look like we have a huge emphasis on winning a premiership, we seem to be content with things and not trying to take the next big step. Why"

Are these the sorts of responses given on the day? I see the opportunity to meet with Fagan as a chance to grill him and hopefully he takes it on board that we see what's happening, and we don't think it's enough. Until we win a premiership, we aren't doing enough!

There's obvious concern over some of Fagans answers, such as his answer about getting the best football department and recruiting marquee players. Was this identified during the meeting and were follow up questions asked?

I understand wanting to maintain a good relationship, and I also understand that Fagan has made himself approachable and won't back down from being questioned or given concerns from the supporter group, but I'd really like to be able to give him the response that is being given here.

"Are you saying that we have the best football department, and now we aren't having to put much effort into it?"

"Marquee signings are difficult? That sounds like a bit of a cop out. What about making things happen. And if you can't, appoint someone who can"

"It honestly doesn't look like we have a huge emphasis on winning a premiership, we seem to be content with things and not trying to take the next big step. Why"

Are these the sorts of responses given on the day? I see the opportunity to meet with Fagan as a chance to grill him and hopefully he takes it on board that we see what's happening, and we don't think it's enough. Until we win a premiership, we aren't doing enough!

those questions are insults and would result in severance between our board and the club.

those questions are insults and would result in severance between our board and the club.

I agree, They could be worded much better, but the question should remain the same. Why can't we question the club? Fagan said he is open to hearing about concerns for the supporter base. Well, these are fairly alarming statements he has made.

I'm aware there's lots that happens within the walls of the club that we don't see, and they are in a much better position than any supporter to judge a situation. But his words didn't make me feel great about where the clubs headed, and I'm generally not very critical of the club.

I agree, They could be worded much better, but the question should remain the same. Why can't we question the club? Fagan said he is open to hearing about concerns for the supporter base. Well, these are fairly alarming statements he has made.

I'm aware there's lots that happens within the walls of the club that we don't see, and they are in a much better position than any supporter to judge a situation. But his words didn't make me feel great about where the clubs headed, and I'm generally not very critical of the club.

I don't know how you could rephrase the questions to be acceptable. All of them assume that the club and its staff are incompetent if not that personnel have nefarious intent.

I don't know how you could rephrase the questions to be acceptable. All of them assume that the club and its staff are incompetent if not that personnel have nefarious intent.

Regardless of how the club may feel about the questions, Do you think they are valid?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of how the club may feel about the questions, Do you think they are valid?

Go back and listen again to Fages' speech to the members. He makes the points that we have made 20 changes to the Footy Dept, some high profile some not, all with the intention of improving the department. He makes the further point that this is ongoing as we strive to be the best we can. Invalid question

This make the assumption that we haven't done what we can to attract top-end talent. You know this how? It makes the further assumption that he and the club have appointed the wrong people to the jobs through incompetence. You know this how? Invalid and insulting question.

The entire premise of this question is ridiculous. Name the people at our club that are not striving for a premiership. You know this how? Insulting, demeaning and invalid question.

I share the frustration of our lack of premierships over the last couple of decades, but having this sort of dumb crack at the club hierarchy is designed to get us where exactly?

I remembered one of the other ones...

What was the clubs position with respect to the new stricter deliberate point rule? I don't recall much conjecture about it from the fans last year, so I assume the desire from change came either from the clubs or the AFL. Do you know what the issue is that they are trying to correct?

This doesn't need to be mentioned to them but here's my nostradamus prediction:
Sometime during this season, probably in the first third, AFC will lose a game to a top 4 team due to a contentious ruling relating to the deliberate point interpretation. Later the AFL will admit they got it wrong and the rule interpretation will be adjusted league wide for the rest of the season. The AFC will go without the points though and that will be fine .......because AFC.

I'm loving this new deliberate rule (major sarcasm there). Just waiting for my nostradamus prediction above to come true now.... will it be tomorrow...

Someone mention muffins? If you haven't eaten the honeycomb and butterscotch muffins from the North Adelaide bakery then you're not living. What flavour are the ones the Crows serve?

My proposal for the next time we meet the club. Finally we toughen up and actually ask if they'd be willing to discuss something about actual football. My recommended topic: A discussion on the Geelong game round 11. In particular, we want to know what "isnt like us". Could they go thru a tape and of course without giving everything away (which shouldn't even matter if they did as we'd only be giving losing tactics away- sigh) and show us what the players were supposed to do and how the game was supposed to unfold. Because, as many have said, to us it seemed "exactly like us".

I understand it is pretty early and possibly irrelevant to make a request like this - if for instance we belt them next time we play them and /or win the premiership, many may stop caring about this game by the start of next season, but for a footy fanatic like myself, I'd love this game broken down regardless of future results as the insight we'd get into AFL would be unparalleled.

My proposal for the next time we meet the club. Finally we toughen up and actually ask if they'd be willing to discuss something about actual football. My recommended topic: A discussion on the Geelong game round 11. In particular, we want to know what "isnt like us". Could they go thru a tape and of course without giving everything away (which shouldn't even matter if they did as we'd only be giving losing tactics away- sigh) and show us what the players were supposed to do and how the game was supposed to unfold. Because, as many have said, to us it seemed "exactly like us".

I understand it is pretty early and possibly irrelevant to make a request like this - if for instance we belt them next time we play them and /or win the premiership, many may stop caring about this game by the start of next season, but for a footy fanatic like myself, I'd love this game broken down regardless of future results as the insight we'd get into AFL would be unparalleled.
Exactly, questions about the lyric change of our club song is hardly enlightening

I have an even better idea. Does anyone here have any sort of media accreditation. How about they attend the next post game press conference and ask some tough questions so it is recorded for all to see and hear about. That donkey was able to pull it off at that post game presser in Perth, and ask Beveridge if Will Minson was lacing up the boots the following week.

I have an even better idea. Does anyone here have any sort of media accreditation. How about they attend the next post game press conference and ask some tough questions so it is recorded for all to see and hear about. That donkey was able to pull it off at that post game presser in Perth, and ask Beveridge if Will Minson was lacing up the boots the following week.
We asked if we could, they basically said no, in a very nice way.

We asked if we could, they basically said no, in a very nice way.
Interesting. After reading the discussion regarding what happened in Perth, it was made apparent that there aren't any restrictions regarding who attends the Press Conference's and asks questions. Media accreditation and you're in. The clubs definitely didn't have any say in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back