List Mgmt. 2017 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kelly decides to leave, and St Kilda would offer the Hawthorn 2017 1st round + Saints 2017 1st round + Saints 2018 1st round, what kind of player or pick might be deemed equitable to be packaged alongside Kelly? It looks like a top 5 + top 12 + top ~14, for Kelly + ????? (based on expected ladder positions).

You're looking at Kelly and a 16-30 player OR a young high draft pick that can't get a game from the Giant's list for that deal (assuming pick 5 is yours). Throw whatever names you want around.

FWIW Hawthorn will give you a pick between 5-9. They're not totally toothless yet.

A lot of water to pass under the bridge before you have your final chips to play with.

You're looking at Kelly and a 16-30 player OR a young high draft pick that can't get a game from the Giant's list for that deal (assuming pick 5 is yours). Throw whatever names you want around.

FWIW Hawthorn will give you a pick between 5-9. They're not totally toothless yet.

A lot of water to pass under the bridge before you have your final chips to play with.

I certainly wouldn't be against that. It'd just be a matter of trying to identify the talent which isn't getting games due to circumstances, rather than ability.

It would set up GWS nicely, with the ability to keep the cycle of fresh talent going or trading for an established player. If any club can afford to lose someone like Kelly without suffering too much of an impact on field, it would be GWS.

Happy to see Matt Buntine sign on again. As someone said, more of a 'blue collar' player than a star, but a really solid player and bloke who fits in well at the club.

Really whittling down the OOC numbers, just the 6 now that would be 'must have' (Kelly, Smith, Hopper, Matt Kennedy, HH & Adam Kennedy).

Bunting reminds me is Ben Stratton.... not a star but solid & has the capacity to be a top 10 player over a long period.

Kelly will be very hard to keep but you don't need a Buddy type contract at the club.

Swinging for the fences here but I will say you will loose 3 good players at the end of the year but there will be a very astute signing from another club on your list that was not seen coming... another Heath Shaw/Shane Mumford that will be a missing piece.

Bunting reminds me is Ben Stratton.... not a star but solid & has the capacity to be a top 10 player over a long period.

Kelly will be very hard to keep but you don't need a Buddy type contract at the club.

Swinging for the fences here but I will say you will loose 3 good players at the end of the year but there will be a very astute signing from another club on your list that was not seen coming... another Heath Shaw/Shane Mumford that will be a missing piece.
Who? I can see 1 from best 22 going with 1 from the almost there.

But not 3 top stars.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Agree we dont need a Buďdy contract. I think it one of the reasons Scully was sorted on a long term deal for less money. Risk would be if we paid Kelly too much it would be a lot harder for other guys to commit on a lot less and he's not our only talent.
If he does go suddenly we've got trade currency and cap space for other guys.
:cool: Dont think we'll be kicking him out the door though and will dig as deep as we can. If we keep Kelly, Devon Smith might be a risk although he's said he wants to stay. Not sure what cash we'll have for Hopper and Matt Jennedy either. Your scenario much more likely if we keep Kelly I think.

Who? I can see 1 from best 22 going with 1 from the almost there.

But not 3 top stars.

I don't want to speculate on who General as I have know idea. I have my favourites but that would only spark heated debate from somewhere or I'd get told to leave.
There could be a blanket over 3-4 & it will be a matter of list priority after nominated clubs were addressed. Like I said mate, only swinging for the fences. If you retain all it would be a massive credit to the club & its culture building.
I can't see Kelly passing up a massive contract.

I don't want to speculate on who General as I have know idea. I have my favourites but that would only spark heated debate from somewhere or I'd get told to leave.
There could be a blanket over 3-4 & it will be a matter of list priority after nominated clubs were addressed. Like I said mate, only swinging for the fences. If you retain all it would be a massive credit to the club & its culture building.
I can't see Kelly passing up a massive contract.
Speculation doesn't equal facts, it's just personalised bullshit.

Speculation doesn't equal facts, it's just personalised bullshit.
Couldn't agree more.
What does the afl media churn out as its bread & butter?
Until something actually does happen it leaves us with sites like this where we can sift through countless pages of BS & decide what bits we like.

So apparently were not moving any further on our offer to kelly and no deal likely until end of the year so not hard to workout how that is likely to end up.
But on the bright side it seems even thru Whitfield is contracted until '18 a contract extension is on the cards before the year is out.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-kelly-to-remain-a-giant-20170515-gw5cd2.html
Not a great day all round. Maybe it has to happen and certainly can't blame him

So apparently were not moving any further on our offer to kelly and no deal likely until end of the year so not hard to workout how that is likely to end up.
But on the bright side it seems even thru Whitfield is contracted until '18 a contract extension is on the cards before the year is out.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-kelly-to-remain-a-giant-20170515-gw5cd2.html
I wasn't drinking last night but I was very tired.

I interpret the article this way: Kelly knows where we are at with our list management. He knows (well, as best a footballer can really know) the salary cap issues we face in the future (I honestly don't think our cap is "that" bad currently tbh) He does not expect the Giants to sacrifice a player on the list to offer him more money (such as Smith) and as a credit to the man himself, he doesn't want to do that anyway.

He will take the time that is required to weigh up such differing offers. As I said yesterday, $1,600,000 is still a couple of houses and a university degree if the Kangaroos doomsday scenario "what if" ever eventuate (and that's not including the money he has already earned) He will be 24/25 when he comes off contract after he re-signs a 2 year deal with us. By then there is every possible way that he is a Brownlow Medal winning, premiership player...what would he be worth then? What other clubs in the market would be able to offer a contract larger than the current North Melbourne one when that eventuates?

On the Whitfield thing, I have searched for the article but I distinctly remember him saying this "I feel I have let the club down, but most off all the supporters. I will be doing everything in my power to make it up to them"

All this about him wanting to leave has always been BS to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the AFL have become the masters of policy on the run(latest example the Academy change RE Albury) why aren't they reacting to these grandfather style deals and capping the maximum tenure offered to players to 5 years?

Surely in their negotiations with the pay deal this should be incorporated into the final deal.

These Franklin deals are a joke and a clear way for clubs to circumvent the regular process of player movement.

Since the AFL have become the masters of policy on the run(latest example the Academy change RE Albury) why aren't they reacting to these grandfather style deals and capping the maximum tenure offered to players to 5 years?

Surely in their negotiations with the pay deal this should be incorporated into the final deal.

These Franklin deals are a joke and a clear way for clubs to circumvent the regular process of player movement.
*cough Vfl media led *cough

It's not backfired on a Victorian club yet.

Did he make the Allies squad (not that that is the be all and end all of bona fide AFL draftee)?
No he didn't but he performed well enough in my eyes to be drafted at this stage as a rookie

NSW-ACT (GWS Academy): Nicholas Shipley, Brendan Myers, Jack Powell, Nathan Richards, Jarrod Brander, Alex Paech, Daniel Johnston, Laine Fitzgerald, Doultan Langlands, Jy Lane, Tom Highmore, Charlie Spargo

No he didn't but he performed well enough in my eyes to be drafted at this stage as a rookie

NSW-ACT (GWS Academy): Nicholas Shipley, Brendan Myers, Jack Powell, Nathan Richards, Jarrod Brander, Alex Paech, Daniel Johnston, Laine Fitzgerald, Doultan Langlands, Jy Lane, Tom Highmore, Charlie Spargo

Any thoughts on Laine Fitzgerald? One of my mates is associated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back