Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree except the last part...i think pick 3 and a 2018 2nd would get it done and be reasonably fair, plus we obviously wouldn't have to lose any current players. I'd rather ADD Kelly to our midfield mix, rather than him replacing someone like Gibbs.

We really sold the farm for Judd...highest price a club has paid for a player by a country mile...in hindsight it was way overs, even for the best player in the competition.
I would definitely give to our first pick and Murphy for Kelly
Realistically a kid won't be a weapon for a couple of years and Murphy only has a couple left in him ( you'd have to pay much of his wages )
I don't see any player in this year's draft better than Kelly
I would allow Bryce to Adelaide if that's what he wants to do.. use the pick on hopper

A clean break from our past and a brave new future

I would definitely give to our first pick and Murphy for Kelly
Realistically a kid won't be a weapon for a couple of years and Murphy only has a couple left in him ( you'd have to pay much of his wages )
I don't see any player in this year's draft better than Kelly
I would allow Bryce to Adelaide if that's what he wants to do.. use the pick on hopper

A clean break from our past and a brave new future

Why so willing to pay such a high price?

Pick 3 and Murphy, who is our captain and best player is WAY overs...even if Murphy is turning 30.

Murphy's midfield knowledge and leadership is still required to help develop our younger mids.

Why so willing to pay such a high price?

Pick 3 and Murphy, who is our captain and best player is WAY overs...even if Murphy is turning 30.

Murphy's midfield knowledge and leadership is still required to help develop our younger mids.

We simply cannot and will not let both gibbs and murphy go at the same time.

Doesn't make sense.

Gibbs is not worth a top 10 pick lol
Laugh all you want. He's a genuine goal kicking mid, he's a better midfielder than any mid on North's list (including the two who were top ten picks) by every measurable statistic. If you go through past drafts he is better than 75% of the midfielders taken in the top 10. He is also contracted so our hands are not forced, again he is worth a top ten pick.

Can see a scenario where we keep both Gibbs and Murph (no way he's going) as well as Cas+MK and gain one of Kelly/Hopper. Not sure we get both Hopper/Kelly though without getting more picks in the door, which would only be gained by losing Cas and/or Gibbs.

Murphy is not our best player !
For 2017 season murphy is our highest average disposals and 2nd highest to Doc for AFL fantasy points (yeah i know not the best way to measure a players worth)

This is statistically his best season to date including his 2011 season.

On other discussion, I really dont understand the discussion about trading him out either! If Gibbs is gonna go, why would we trade out our #1 midfielder as well - seems ridiculous.

We simply cannot and will not let both gibbs and murphy go at the same time.

Doesn't make sense.

Makes very good sense for the right deal.
Hopper and Kelly for Gibbs, Murphy, our first, with something coming back, is a win on many fronts

Hopper and Kelly for Gibbs, Murphy, our first, with something coming back, is a win on many fronts
Cannot illustrate enough how much it would set us back competitively and leadership-wise by trading both Gibbs and Murphy. Even replacing them with the quality of Hopper and Kelly... just look at Hawthorn this year. Sure, long-term blah blah but its just a bad idea.

Anyway, Murphy isn't going anywhere so talk of it is just silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree in principle but I think throwing pick 3 in with two of them is a bit much. One of them and pick 3 is a bit closer to the mark. Pick 3 for Kelly and a player for Hopper

Cannot illustrate enough how much it would set us back competitively and leadership-wise by trading both Gibbs and Murphy. Even replacing them with the quality of Hopper and Kelly... just look at Hawthorn this year. Sure, long-term blah blah but its just a bad idea.

Anyway, Murphy isn't going anywhere so talk of it is just silly.

Murphy and Gibbs vs Lewis and Mitchell?
Kelly and Hopper vs Mitchell and OMeara?

I don't think it's the same

Whoever we trade for, we can't go into the draft with no first and second round pick and no first next year. We need to get back into the draft and if that means we trade a couple of our older player then so be it, it's better than trading Cripps.

So Murphy who is our club captain, Melbourne born and bred, settled in melbourne and has a contract with the club is potentially on thetrade table because he is 30 and may, and I repeat may not be part of our next premiership.

Do you think Collingwood are having the same discussion about Pendlebury. Same age, captain but unlikely to be part of the Pies next flag. I know Pendles is a better player than Murph but this talk about trading our captain just seems a bit far fetched to me and if true I think will do more damage to the playing group then what we get in return.

Whoever we trade for, we can't go into the draft with no first and second round pick and no first next year. We need to get back into the draft and if that means we trade a couple of our older player then so be it, it's better than trading Cripps.

Out of curiosity - why not?

In the last two drafts we've picked up 11 players. 7 of them are now genuine senior players already (Weitering, Curnow, SOS, Cuningham, SPS, Fisher, Williamson), and of the other four (McKay, Macreadie, Kerr and Polson) three are talls who will require a bit longer to develop, but all four are highly rated internally and will likely be afforded more senior opportunities sooner rather than later (Macreadie and Polson have in fact already debuted).

9-11 AFL-quality draftees in two years has got to be almost unheard of outside the expansion clubs.

Add to that we've recruited Marchbank, Plowman and Pickett who are young and highly talented (Pickett likely to feature again when he gets his fitness base back up post- last year's injury). We've also apparently turned Jones into a defensive monster, Kreuzer is showing the form of his career and should be capable of continuing it for at least 3 years, Casboult has remembered how to kick and Byrne is just returning from an ACL lay-off.

If we've exceeded our own expectations in terms of rebuilding through the draft, why shouldn't we be open to trading out two first rounders and a senior player like Gibbs to secure two extremely talented young mids who will play 10-12 years of excellent footy?

Marchbank, Jones, Plowman
Docherty, Weitering, Byrne
Williamson, Hopper, SPS
Kreuzer, Cripps, Kelly
Cuningham, Casboult, Curnow
Murphy, McKay, Silvagni
Fisher, Pickett, Curnow, Simpson, Macreadie, Sumner, Kerr, Polson, Lamb, Thomas, Graham, Smedts, ASOS, etc.

OUT: Pick 3, Gibbs (on-trade pick to GWS) and a future pick (likely 5-10, possibly later)
IN: Kelly (23yo, Brownlow contention, former Pick 2), Hopper (20yo, former Pick 7, but rated higher by many) and whatever else we can scrounge out of Adelaide (Wigg, second rounder etc.) and GWS (I still reckon Himmelberg would be easily gettable as steak-knives)

Also, consider that we may have our eye on some free agents in the coming years as well. Throw Tom Lynch in at the end of 2018, and Dylan Shiel at the end of 2019...you see where this is going, yeah?

The more I look at our drafting in the last two years, the less I'm convinced we absolutely have to go for another big draft haul, especially if the quality of this draft is being questioned a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back