Mega Thread 2017 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ross's presser today.

One journo (sounded like Barich) suggesting that there is no incentive for us to win against the Hawks and that we should play more youth. Ross points out that there are only two such players left on our list.

Which 2 is he talking about?

By my count there are 6 players under 25 on our list available for selection this week who didn't play last week.

Grey, Deluca, Macarthy, Collins, Sutcliffe and Taberner.

By my count there are 6 players under 25 on our list available for selection this week who didn't play last week.

Not sure. I think we have used every player on our list for at least 1 game who is fit. The only guys that have played zero games this year are the long term injured like Apeness and Clarke.

Just goes to show what a stupid question it was - Ross, now that you can't make the finals do you change focus and do something different- where that something different turns out to be actually what Ross has been doing since Round 3.

Ok, I will have to go against the masses and say I agree with a lot of what Brad has written and I am sure that some of it will happen.

Just goes to show what a stupid question it was - Ross, now that you can't make the finals do you change focus and do something different- where that something different turns out to be actually what Ross has been doing since Round 3.

I don't think it's a stupid question at all. He's clearly asking why we are perservering with guys like Johnson and Ballantyne instead of giving guys like Collins and Deluca a shot. And I tend to agree with that point. The season is gone, those 2 older guys are carrying jnjuries and not playing particularly well. Why not give the younger guys an opportunity?

I don't think it's a stupid question at all. He's clearly asking why we are perservering with guys like Johnson and Ballantyne instead of giving guys like Collins and Deluca a shot. And I tend to agree with that point. The season is gone, those 2 older guys are carrying jnjuries and not playing particularly well. Why not give the younger guys an opportunity?

Ross did say you need some senior guys in the list to guide the players and set the standard in terms of match preparation and effort.

Ross did say you need some senior guys in the list to guide the players and set the standard in terms of match preparation and effort.

Didn't say we had to delist them. But we could certainly rest them for a couple of weeks.

If they win they only end up level with us and a percentage hardly much better than ours.

Same number of wins they'd be, but their draw gives them a 2 point buffer and makes percentage meaningless

But it is odd how Hawthorns season is still alive and yours is toast somehow

For all those who are saying we should drop the senior players and play all the kids have a look at Melbourne.
They have spent the best part of 10 years in the wilderness because of this.

Ross is spot on when he says you need the senior players to reinforce the attitudes and behaviours of the playing group.

One or two young players who they could have played more this year? He's talking about Deluca and Collins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all those who are saying we should drop the senior players and play all the kids have a look at Melbourne.
They have spent the best part of 10 years in the wilderness because of this.

Ross is spot on when he says you need the senior players to reinforce the attitudes and behaviours of the playing group.

To be fair Melbourne didn't have any senior players.

Brad Green? Nathan Jones? Mark Jamar? Yet Neeld gave the captaincy to two teenagers (or almost).

To be fair to Neeld, I wouldn't give the captaincy to Brad Green or Jamar either. Green just seemed the opposite of a leader and Jamar screamed dumb campaigner to me.

Well obviously every team has senior players. Melbourne's weren't great.

No they weren't great. But Jones was clearly good enough. And Neeld got rid of the others altogether, before their time was up. He deliberately got rid of the senior players and threw the young players to the wolves.

No they weren't great. But Jones was clearly good enough. And Neeld got rid of the others altogether, before their time was up. He deliberately got rid of the senior players and threw the young players to the wolves.

Kinda what Ross was saying that you can go too far that way and the intangibles like negative confidence and culture become a problem. He said other clubs have tried it and found it didn't work, and that he doesn't want to go down that path. Which makes sense to me.

Two-year contract extension for West Coast's top pick from 2016
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-19/eagles-lock-down-talented-mid-with-new-deal

Is it just me, or do the media seem to be talking up the Eagles "promising" kids since they whinged about the WAFL fixtures. Or is it because Freo have been able to blood some good ones over the past three years and the media couldnt possibly let the Eagle darlings miss out on the chat.

Some noteworthy LOLZ from the article;

He has averaged 13 disposals and better than a goal per game for the Royals in eight matches. - LOLZ since when is 13 WAFL touches something to write about!

The Eagles are embarking on a transition period with their list and have given opportunities to young players - LOLZ

Ball magnet Luke Partington has been an emergency but is yet to debut - Ok, not too bad. Averaging 27 per game. But it's only WAFL

Two-year contract extension for West Coast's top pick from 2016
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-19/eagles-lock-down-talented-mid-with-new-deal

Is it just me, or do the media seem to be talking up the Eagles "promising" kids since they whinged about the WAFL fixtures. Or is it because Freo have been able to blood some good ones over the past three years and the media couldnt possibly let the Eagle darlings miss out on the chat.

Some noteworthy LOLZ from the article;

He has averaged 13 disposals and better than a goal per game for the Royals in eight matches. - LOLZ since when is 13 WAFL touches something to write about!

The Eagles are embarking on a transition period with their list and have given opportunities to young players - LOLZ

Ball magnet Luke Partington has been an emergency but is yet to debut - Ok, not too bad. Averaging 27 per game. But it's only WAFL

How chunky is Willie Rioli too! The funny thing is he's also 22!! Not even a genuine young player. Don't get me wrong, nothing against him, but they're talking him up. I saw highlights of him on Eagle Vision before the derby game and he's not just a tad over weight, he's just fat!

The cliff the Eagles are about to fall off is going to be super spectacular. They have 14 regular players over 28 years of age! We see in our own team the significant drop in players like Ibbo, Spurr, Johnson but my golly they'll... well fall off a cliff like I said.

Their young ones pushing up from underneath are just not getting games at all.

How chunky is Willie Rioli too! The funny thing is he's also 22!! Not even a genuine young player. Don't get me wrong, nothing against him, but they're talking him up. I saw highlights of him on Eagle Vision before the derby game and he's not just a tad over weight, he's just fat!

The cliff the Eagles are about to fall off is going to be super spectacular. They have 14 regular players over 28 years of age! We see in our own team the significant drop in players like Ibbo, Spurr, Johnson but my golly they'll... well fall off a cliff like I said.

Their young ones pushing up from underneath are just not getting games at all.
I reckon they have maybe one more Derby win before we win the next 10 in a row after that! Bring back those good days when Derby time meant happy time!

He said other clubs have tried it and found it didn't work, and that he doesn't want to go down that path.
Blooding your youngsters in the company of old heads has been the status quo for a long time.
It's standard practise throughout the sporting world across all codes.
Acknowledged best practice from the best sporting minds in the world.
The debate finished decades ago.
EDIT:Barich was talking tanking by playing the yoof,without elders I think.
You can never be sure with the bumbling buffoon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back