Preview 2017 Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope. No pressing need at all.

I have to believe we still have something coming, or else I have to believe we are dropping the ball. If this plays out the way I think it will, then... why wouldn't our players request a move to a big Vic club?

The way I see it, we have so much riding on Ablett and Swallow next year, and at this point, no contingency.

I believe we may have had something going on with McKenzie and Matera being rumored to be touring Essendon. It would appear that ship has sailed and it cost us a chance at Ah Chee and Barlow.

I believe we may have had something going on with McKenzie and Matera being rumored to be touring Essendon. It would appear that ship has sailed and it cost us a chance at Ah Chee and Barlow.
You might be right. At the very least I'd like to know if we tried for one, or both, of them.

Mind you, the Barlow ship has not sailed... yet. But a bold move would need to be made and, IMO, it would be worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I would take Matera and McKenzie over Ah Chee and Barlow but i'm probably in the minority.

I would take Matera and McKenzie over Ah Chee and Barlow but i'm probably in the minority.
a minority of 2 is often all that is needed
When May and Thompson were out and Malceski hobbling around like a geriatric TMac held us together down back
Do not understand people who don't rate him
Don't judge him on commentators that made him an 18yo superboot

a minority of 2 is often all that is needed
When May and Thompson were out and Malceski hobbling around like a geriatric TMac held us together down back
Do not understand people who don't rate him
Don't judge him on commentators that made him an 18yo superboot
The attention he got in his first season was great for the club but terrible for his development.

2 questions RE list management

1. So even on the last day of trade week we were looking for a senior Hawks player when we already had 3 senior blokes traded in. Was the plan to delist 2 players if that eventuated?

2. Let me preface this by saying that I like Jesse Joyce, but was there a pressing need to add him to the senior list when we could have held him on the rookie list for another year given that senior spots are at a premium and we effectively missed out on a Barlow or B Ah Chee as a result?
Joyce is a upgrade to list or delist isn't he?

Nope. No pressing need at all.

I have to believe we still have something coming, or else I have to believe we are dropping the ball. If this plays out the way I think it will, then... why wouldn't our players request a move to a big Vic club?

The way I see it, we have so much riding on Ablett and Swallow next year, and at this point, no contingency.

It is playing out exactly the way you fear. When you have an administration that is reminiscent of a garbage bin and dog sh*t, this is the outcome. Lay the Suns to make the 8, easy money.

I don't understand why we seem to have a habit of prematurely upgrading untried rookies. Brooksby is a perfect example, and Joyce was an unnecessary upgrade. Joyce isn't ready for AFL football, and upgrading him is a stupid idea. I love JJ, don't get me wrong, but upgrading him now is just silly. Wasted spot considering he'll be in the NEAFL all year.

Should have kept him on the rookie list and brought in Barlow. Idiocy.

I don't understand why we seem to have a habit of prematurely upgrading untried rookies. Brooksby is a perfect example, and Joyce was an unnecessary upgrade. Joyce isn't ready for AFL football, and upgrading him is a stupid idea. I love JJ, don't get me wrong, but upgrading him now is just silly. Wasted spot considering he'll be in the NEAFL all year.

Should have kept him on the rookie list and brought in Barlow. Idiocy.
A reason behind that could be that next year we might have to upgrade Davis and McPherson or delist them. So adding those two next year plus possibly more based on who we take this years rookie draft is already a lot so evening it out with Joyce this year might be the reason. I would hate to have to upgrade 3 to 4 players next year when we will want an active role in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regarding the Joyce upgrade, it was announced right near the end of the season. Did seem early. A couple of possible reasons.
  1. Club suspected they would be carrying 40 on the senior list so no guarantee that rookies would be able to play. He has potential, obviously improved a lot over his first season, so club backing him to improve again. Being on the senior list means he can play at any point in the season. Hope they are right.
  2. Most importantly, club thought they would be trading a couple of contracted players and would have more room. Seems like they tried but no one biting. A few other clubs in the same boat. The deep draft a factor.
Regarding Barlow, once they picked up Lyons as an inside mid they moved on. Not trading for Barlow or similar to add to Lyons also a sign that the club thinks:
  1. Swallow will be fine.
  2. Gaz will be fine.
  3. Hall will be good once we can add some more inside grunt around him.
  4. Touk will be a full time mid in his 3rd year.
  5. Sexton will spend more time in the midfield (24 next year).
  6. Jack Martin will spend more time in the midfield in his 4th year.
  7. Lonergan and Hallahan provide depth. Big off-season of running coming up. No weights please!
  8. .....................Fiorini.
In terms of running power, we should have more overlap run next year as well. Hanley and Saad for sure, but fingers crossed KK will be healthy.

We are swapping Hanley and a fit 2017 KK for the 2016 KK and knee ravaged Mal. Is that 20% more run? 30%? A s**t ton?

Regarding the Joyce upgrade, it was announced right near the end of the season. Did seem early. A couple of possible reasons.
  1. Club suspected they would be carrying 40 on the senior list so no guarantee that rookies would be able to play. He has potential, obviously improved a lot over his first season, so club backing him to improve again. Being on the senior list means he can play at any point in the season. Hope they are right.
  2. Most importantly, club thought they would be trading a couple of contracted players and would have more room. Seems like they tried but no one biting. A few other clubs in the same boat. The deep draft a factor.
Regarding Barlow, once they picked up Lyons as an inside mid they moved on. Not trading for Barlow or similar to add to Lyons also a sign that the club thinks:
  1. Swallow will be fine.
  2. Gaz will be fine.
  7. Lonergan and Hallahan provide depth. Big off-season of running coming up. No weights please!
In terms of running power, we should have more overlap run next year as well. Hanley and Saad for sure, but fingers crossed KK will be healthy.

We are swapping Hanley and a fit 2017 KK for the 2016 KK and knee ravaged Mal. Is that 20% more run? 30%? A s**t ton?
well when you put it that way

1. Swallow will be fine.
  2. Gaz will be fine.

What happens when ppl start to get injured?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-29/your-clubs-injury-list-heading-into-2017

'The Suns' medical staff are glad to see the back of the 2016 season after dealing with an extensive injury list throughout the year. Superstar midfielder Gary Ablett had more surgery to fix his troublesome left shoulder in July and is tracking well in his recovery. However, the dual Brownlow medallist will be deliberately patient in his comeback after rushing back to be fit for the start of 2016. Michael Rischitelli is also going nicely in his recovery from a torn ACL, but is not expected to be fit for the start of next season. Touk Miller (ankle clean-up) and Adam Saad (nasal surgery) should return sometime around the start of pre-season. - Ben Guthrie

Rule them out for round one: Michael Rischitelli (knee)'

Well its good to see that we should be starting pre-season with close to full-numbers, but we said the same this year, so who knows. Nothing about Swallow, which suggests either nobody knows anything, and it is being kept very quiet in house, or he is fine.

Hopefully Touk and Saad don't miss any pre-season. Also, Saad got a nose job?! Mckenzie the trend setter I guess. ;)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tea...r/news-story/57cc79c1d561b7d1db490589e8516568

“I don’t know what’s going to happen next year,” Pickering said on SEN radio today.

“There’s absolutely a possibility he’ll finish the next two years there (at Gold Coast), it’s a probability — he’s captain.

“There’s a lot of water to go under the bridge before he finishes his career.”

Ablett, the son of Cats superstar Gary Ablett Sr, played nine seasons at Geelong before leaving to join Gold Coast at the end of 2010.

“He’s been there for six years,” Pickering said. “He actually just asked the question and said, ‘I’m homesick, I want to be able to get around my family’.

“They said, ‘No dice’ and that was the end of it.

“You don’t know unless you ask. The answer was pretty emphatic and we’ve moved on.

“It’s no big deal from my end. I have hundreds of those conversations every year with clients. He’s still there, he’s still captain.”

---

well, that's as close to an ablett statement as you're gonna get. :(

Exactly. I have zero confidence that Swallow and Ablett get through the year. MAYBE that confidence nudges up to 4 or 5 percent if, on any given day, I feel particularly optimistic. Those are good days, full of joy.

If we fail to plan, we plan to....

Last edited:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tea...r/news-story/57cc79c1d561b7d1db490589e8516568

“I don’t know what’s going to happen next year,” Pickering said on SEN radio today.

“There’s absolutely a possibility he’ll finish the next two years there (at Gold Coast), it’s a probability — he’s captain.

Ablett, the son of Cats superstar Gary Ablett Sr, played nine seasons at Geelong before leaving to join Gold Coast at the end of 2010.

“He’s been there for six years,” Pickering said. “He actually just asked the question and said, ‘I’m homesick, I want to be able to get around my family’.

“You don’t know unless you ask. The answer was pretty emphatic and we’ve moved on.

“It’s no big deal from my end. I have hundreds of those conversations every year with clients. He’s still there, he’s still captain.”

---

Why is it I struggle to believe anything that comes out of Pickering's mouth?

Luck says we shouldn't have as many long term injuries as we did the last 2 years. But the Crows better look out since they had hardly any.

But when there is injury, do what every club does. Bring in the next player.

For the midfield, one of the 4 or 5 mids we draft this year (Bowes, Scheer, etc).
Or upgrade Darcy Mac for a LTI.
Or upgrade one of the other rookies we draft. A mature mid as a rookie pick seems likely.

Just pointing out that our midfield is not terrible without Barlow. Not great since there are too many young players, but not terrible. Would much prefer Barlow over Grant. Plenty of us thought that was a poor decision at the time and a 2 year contract still looks poor.

But the bigger issue for mine was the last 2 years and the solid 2 and 3 year contracts given to Matera, TrentMac, Shaw and Hallahan, all of whom expire in 2017 but none of whom are absolute locks for a best 22 spot next year when fit. Which is a problem since they have all played 6 seasons now and are all in the 24-25 year range and should be hitting their prime.

I did not complain about those deals at the time (was generally happy iirc) so hard to complain now. But would like to get some more value from those contracts next year. The annoying thing is that they have all shown something at different times.

Our list would look a lot better if a couple of them just came out and killed it over the off-season and made the leap next year into a clear top 15 player for us.

---

That sounds to me like Pickers knows Ablett will be losing the Captaincy and will be able to use that as an out.

Frankly Ablett has taken a massive chunk of money from the Suns and must be made to see out his contract.

Paid like a professional so act like one

That sounds to me like Pickers knows Ablett will be losing the Captaincy and will be able to use that as an out.

Frankly Ablett has taken a massive chunk of money from the Suns and must be made to see out his contract.

Paid like a professional so act like one
You'd imagine Gaz is slightly more professional than some of the campaigners that have cut bait and run early lately .

Yeah okay , Can't do me a deal lets get back to it.

. . . Geelong couldn't afford him with Paddy Moneybags in that midfield anyway.

OK so had a fair bit of time with some Suns staff today...............and a few beers

Gaz loves it here wife does not, he did put it forward like he would leave if the club felt it would help with their trade and cap plans - will be an ongoing battle with wifey - I have witnessed first hand her petulance

No issues with David Swallow reaching potential is training the house down and fit as ATM may have his career shortened down to 4 or 5 more years instead of 7 or 8 but report regarding not making 100% is false - very committed to club, loves it here is searching for a more expensive home as we speak, coaches love him very highly regarded - Andrew coming was on the cards but club decided against

JOM also very well thought of internally, I mentioned he butchered his image in the way he handled his leaving and feedback I got was that his manager is a moron and would be to blame

No Barlow, they went cold on him when Lyons signed on, BUT will rookie him but don't think he will still be available by then

McKenzie going to Essendon and touring them was BS

No interest in Matera from other clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back