List Mgmt. 2017 - Trading and Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liam Ryan has upset a few people by making himself unavailable for the state game and also not attending any state training sessions. His slim chance of getting drafted just got slimmer.

Well that's bizarre! He is clearly working hard to be AFL fit so he could be drafted next year which seems more likely this year. Can only think that he has gotten advice from somewhere that playing in the State game will not be of benefit to him in his desire to play AFL.

We need to replace our older players or at least have their replacements ready.

D.Pearce, M.Johnson, N.Suban, G.Ibbotson, L.Spurr, H.Ballantyne

We have drafted/recruited to try and be ready on the defensive side - Logue, Ryan, A.Pearce, B.Cox

IMO, we need to recruit in the small forward or midfield area. Walters will play more midfield and Ballas is at the end.

A couple of gun small forwards/midfielders would be nice :)
Maybe JJ if he is available and Weller mid/forward.

Well that's bizarre! He is clearly working hard to be AFL fit so he could be drafted next year which seems more likely this year. Can only think that he has gotten advice from somewhere that playing in the State game will not be of benefit to him in his desire to play AFL.
May be a means of keeping out of view of interstate clubs.

Hi what you guys think of Stefan Giro of under 18 Norwood for sanfl..... Playing for reserves and kicking 3 goals per game and averaging 27 disposals per game..if he Play welll like this in reserves level,he may have crack at the under 18 championship coming up?

Hi what you guys think of Stefan Giro of under 18 Norwood for sanfl..... Playing for reserves and kicking 3 goals per game and averaging 27 disposals per game..if he Play welll like this in reserves level,he may have crack at the under 18 championship coming up?

Hi Vimal - we split out talk aboutdraftees from this thread and put that in the "young talent time" thread - I am sure if you put the question there Chris25 as an avid SA U18 watcher would be able to give some thoughts.

Watching Shai Bolton for Richmond last night (who was reported homesick) if we need to trade Balic or Tucker a straight swap I think that would be a fair trade - he looks like a top small forward.

Wilson offers more defensively than Johannison and Luke Ryan. May actually be a better fit for us given we already have Weller in our back six. Having said that I've seen nothing to suggest Wilson is looking elsewhere from anywhere but this thread. Key part of the GWS back six and wouldn't think they'd trade someone like him whilst under contract, especially when in a premiership window. Doesn't seem likely at all. Only a massive salary cap squeeze would change that and I'm sure they'd be many players they'd rather move onto other clubs than Wilson.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I can only laugh at this post. There is no better line breaking defender in the game than JJ. I think he will re-sign but you are seriously under hyping a Norm Smith medallist. Other posters are kidding if they think Balic, Suban, Crozier, Sheridan or players of that Ilk would get it done. Also for those having a go at Marcus Adams, look at his last month. Swung both ends and been very good.
Rumours in Melb are that Adams wants to stay now. They are just rumours though.
Suban has absolutely zero trade value to Dogs, Carlton or 15 other teams.

I can only laugh at this post. There is no better line breaking defender in the game than JJ. I think he will re-sign but you are seriously under hyping a Norm Smith medallist. Other posters are kidding if they think Balic, Suban, Crozier, Sheridan or players of that Ilk would get it done. Also for those having a go at Marcus Adams, look at his last month. Swung both ends and been very good.

JJ would be a perfect fit for us. No doubt. I think the other guy is saying we need better defenders, not just improved rebounding.

I said Wilson offers more defensively. As in is better at defending. Johannison is easily the better player overall (and probably one of the best rebounders in the league) - I don't think anyone is questioning that. As Wilson is better defensively I see him as more the type of player we need. That doesn't mean I think he's a better player than Johannison or I wouldn't take Johannison in a heartbeat. Either would be fantastic and I rate them both very highly.

As for Suban. Some Freo fans would literally rather anyone out there instead of Suban. He'll be delisted and be without a club next year most likely (Mzungu and De Boer got a new club so anything's possible). I don't think I've seen a Freo supporter claim he's worth anything for literally years tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Murphy is a better line breaking defender than JJ. He is a massive offensive weapon.

Running to the boundary and kicking it as far as you can for a turnover doesn't impress me but that Adams has looked panicked with ball in hand the last month, trying not to kick it, when his long kick was one of his prime weapons predraft makes me think Beverage has instructed his team to pick the short running targets. Probably because their contested marking forward of centre isn't so crash hot, which isn't such a problem unless one of your defenders blazes away with long kicks to contests.

It's the exact same issue we have, when we hit up the shorter running players in the corridor we score - when we bomb it long we turn it over unless our stars rescue us with a mark.

So, it's clear from the Crows game where we're at with the rebuild. As far as I can tell - best case scenario, we've got:

Hughes, Hamling, ???
Weller, A Peace, Logue
Hill, Neale, Hill
Walters, ???, Bennell
Kirsten, McCarthy, Grey
Darcy, Blakely, Fyfe
Langdon, Balic, ???, ???

Still a truck load of work to do. Need to trade in 1 or 2, and go to the draft with 6 live picks.. at least.

So, it's clear from the Crows game where we're at with the rebuild. As far as I can tell - best case scenario, we've got:

Still a truck load of work to do. Need to trade in 1 or 2, and go to the draft with 6 live picks.. at least.

It's probably more instructive to look at the de-listings I reckon. That'll tell us how many picks we'll go in with rather than looking at holes in the list I reckon. Then from there our priorities should be something on the order of KPF, Small/Medium defender, Small forward, Project Ruck.

Need to really try and magic up a 2nd or another 3rd round pick from somewhere, although unlike last year I can't see an obvious FA/trade option. Igbo? Sutcliffe? Sheridan? Be lucky to scrape a 3rd for each of those.

Delist: Dawson, Griffin, Uebergang, Deluca and D Pearce. I think there will be suitors for Ibbotson if we go that way but if there isn't, I hope they make the tough call and cut him or Spurr. Similarly, I hope we can move on at least 2 of Sheridan, Sutcliffe and Suban.

Rookie if possible: Apeness and Clarke

Promote: Nyhuis

Trade/Free agent: Balic (seems likely), Ibbotson, Spurr, Suban, Sutcliffe and Sheridan. Clarke will probably entertain offers but I hope he doesn't get much interest personally.

As for our areas of need, I think we should be gunning hard for a journeyman type ruckmen this off season or next. Spencer, Daw, Naismith etc. If Clarke can't get his body right we have Sandilands and then nothing (Sorry Griff). The young blokes just won't be up to it as ruckmen yet. Contrary to popular opinion I'd be FAR more comfortable re-signing Clarke than gambling on landing or developing a half competent primary ruckmen in the next two years.

We lack depth in the small forward position imo so if the rumours regarding Shai Bolton being homesick are true I'd try to pursue a trade. Bolton for Balic and an exchange of picks to our slight favour? Feel like we'd lose that trade by a long way in the end but probably about fair right now.

I wouldn't be paying anything near what Johanissen is reportedly asking however he would be a good fit if we can come to a reasonable agreement. If we can't I'd be looking to teams such as Sydney, GWS, Bulldogs and Adelaide who seem to have an abundance of skilled rebounding defenders to see which one we can pry loose, if any.

It's probably more instructive to look at the de-listings I reckon. That'll tell us how many picks we'll go in with rather than looking at holes in the list I reckon. Then from there our priorities should be something on the order of KPF, Small/Medium defender, Small forward, Project Ruck.

Need to really try and magic up a 2nd or another 3rd round pick from somewhere, although unlike last year I can't see an obvious FA/trade option. Igbo? Sutcliffe? Sheridan? Be lucky to scrape a 3rd for each of those.
Absolutely. De-listings won't be a problem. We wouldn't miss any of Apeness, Yarren, Clarke, Suban, Dawson or Ubergang. Then you have Ballentyne, D.Pearce and Griffin, who may retire.

I also agree with this "KPF, Small/Medium defender, Small forward, Project Ruck" We also need a CHB and Luke Strnadica to improve out-of-sight and give us a ruck/For option.

JJ would be a perfect fit for us. No doubt. I think the other guy is saying we need better defenders, not just improved rebounding.
I actually think JJ is not a bad defender. He does win his own pill. I think he is massively under-rated in this part of his game. He wouldn't get a game for us if this wasn't the case.
I do understand where you are coming from though.

I recon Freo should continue to try and get Rory Lobb.

He could be the answer we are looking for in our forward line, and could also rotate with Darcy between forward and ruck. Strong in a contested mark so will hopefully do well when we inevitably just kick it long towards him. Signed a two year contract extension last year, so we might have to wait until the end of next year to get him. Would definitely prefer Lobb over McGovern right now.

I said Wilson offers more defensively. As in is better at defending. Johannison is easily the better player overall (and probably one of the best rebounders in the league) - I don't think anyone is questioning that. As Wilson is better defensively I see him as more the type of player we need. That doesn't mean I think he's a better player than Johannison or I wouldn't take Johannison in a heartbeat. Either would be fantastic and I rate them both very highly.

Wilson I would take over JJ 9 times out of 10.
His foot skills are a long way better then JJs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back