Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Ainsworth was the one I probably forgot from my report. Guy is a jet. Lachie Neale-esk ability to seemingly be everywhere.

Looking forward to watching the games today if I get a chance.
There is one Tassie in allies squad I like freo to get him at 4th rd pick but might be gone. 195 cm 92kg KPF .

So is a rough top 6 at the draft looking like (in no particular order); Fogarty, Rayner, LDU, Stephensen, Brander, Cerra? After Brander's performance today are we any chance of grabbing him? From the teams at or around us I'd imagine only Collingwood are really after a KPP unless St Kilda have completely lost faith in McCartin

So is a rough top 6 at the draft looking like (in no particular order); Fogarty, Rayner, LDU, Stephensen, Brander, Cerra? After Brander's performance today are we any chance of grabbing him? From the teams at or around us I'd imagine only Collingwood are really after a KPP unless St Kilda have completely lost faith in McCartin

For mine there is a clear top 7 - those six and Lochie O'Brien who is probably the best kick in the draft, also incredibly quick and a good size. He has not been as much on the radar because of injury and being tagged a lot but if you want an outside mid or HBF with top skills by foot and pace he is your man. We could be interested in terms of adding more skill back of centre and around the ground.

Saints also have Josh Battle as well and arguably a forward line that is working without either him or McCartin.

For mine there is a clear top 7 - those six and Lochie O'Brien who is probably the best kick in the draft, also incredibly quick and a good size. He has not been as much on the radar because of injury and being tagged a lot but if you want an outside mid or HBF with top skills by foot and pace he is your man. We could be interested in terms of adding more skill back of centre and around the ground.

Saints also have Josh Battle as well and arguably a forward line that is working without either him or McCartin.
On that note, does anyone know if Battle done absolutely anything in the VFL this year. Amazing how quite a few of us were concerned over taking Darcy over him...

The other one I didnt think about was Carlton though I assumed they are in dire need of more quality through the middle to co-incide with their next tilt with Murphy and Gibbs carrying that midfield this year and both unlikely to be around (or much use) in 3-4 years

The reality is this year we will likely end up with a top 5 pick (which considering the holes in the list is not necessarily a bad thing).

What is concerning though is the consensus of drafting the best available. Whilst i agree that we should not be reaching with picks, we also should also not be stuck on the idea drafting best available. At this stage in the year the phantom drafts are filled mainly with midfielders. With brander 195 kpf/fpd the only tall to appear in most top 5s. With collingwood currently below us on the ladder and also looking for key positon players the likelihood is they take brander right before us and we are left either taking another midfielder or reaching for a tall.

What we should be looking at is what position we require players for. More natural forwards (big and small) is a priority. I would also add another tall attacking style key defender (lever, hurley etc). I have high hopes for A.pearce however the clubs "all eggs in one basket" approach always concerns me.

At this stage in the year if we cant secure a standout 195+ kpf, we should seriously be considering downgrading our pick to mutliple picks.

Oscar allen is one high on my radar atm. The melts if we miss another talented tall forward from WA will be massive, especially if he grows another few cms like he thinks he will. Is not a top 5 pick at this stage in the year but more likely late first/ early second. Freo pick 5 for richmond pick 15 and pick 17 as an example could allow us to pick up allen (fwd) and naughton (def) two home grown talents in one draft.

Im not at all saying these exact examples are what should happen. However serious questions will be asked if we end up taking another midfielder with our only top 5 pick in a long time.
What do you want then?

Cant reach but not draft 'best available'?

I watched the Allies vs VicM game today. Brander was awesome as a marking option forward of centre. Had 6 marks at half time. Sutherland also good, bobs up with 2 goals in the 3rd. Brayshaw was solid, Rayner will be very good, so explosive around contests. Ballenden kicked the ball well as a tall downback also. We're in a good position this year, we'll have plenty of talent to choose from.

If available I would choose Rayner or Brander. That's just my opinion, but with the way modern footy is going, players like Rayner will be so important. So explosive and can go forward like Dustin Martin and score quick goals.

What do you want then?

Cant reach but not draft 'best available'?

due diligence is what i want. If best available is another midfielder (which currently appears to be) then strongly consider trading back to better our whole draft/list. Id argue we have more midfielders than we can actually fit in the team. Drafting another mid with our first pick doesnt solve any of our list problems. (Draft a mid with a later pick) For me our top 5 pick must be a KPF. If theres not one available then trading it for a pick and a player or two later picks should surely be considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

due diligence is what i want. If best available is another midfielder (which currently appears to be) then strongly consider trading back to better our whole draft/list. Id argue we have more midfielders than we can actually fit in the team. Drafting another mid with our first pick doesnt solve any of our list problems. (Draft a mid with a later pick) For me our top 5 pick must be a KPF. If theres not one available then trading it for a pick and a player or two later picks should surely be considered.
Whilst I don't agree, I don't think it will be necessary. Brander was outstanding today up forward. Sticky hands, good field kicking and some nice leading/forward craft. Reasonable on the deck too for a 195cm bloke. I would like us to draft him please. It's much better for us if Sutherland (who was also good) plays AFL as the Vic clubs would take him first IMO.

All that said, if Rayner fell to us it would be hard not to take him. I don't think he will unless we have pick 1 or 2.

We need the Pies and Roos to finish above us. They are the only ones that I think are likely to take a KPF of the bottom 8 clubs (well Hawks would but LOL).

Whilst I don't agree, I don't think it will be necessary. Brander was outstanding today up forward. Sticky hands, good field kicking and some nice leading/forward craft. Reasonable on the deck too for a 195cm bloke. I would like us to draft him please. It's much better for us if Sutherland (who was also good) plays AFL as the Vic clubs would take him first IMO.

All that said, if Rayner fell to us it would be hard not to take him. I don't think he will unless we have pick 1 or 2.

We need the Pies and Roos to finish above us. They are the only ones that I think are likely to take a KPF of the bottom 8 clubs (well Hawks would but LOL).

Pretty much agree. Rayner won't get past North if they have pick 2. Reckon Brisbane might swoop pick 1 though. Carlton will likely go another mid and build that engine room, they'll like their key stocks in McKay and Curnow with Casbault.

I like brander too for first rd can play both end like Cox,
Third Rd Tim Kelly .
4th rd: Ian milera , Hugh dixon , liam Ryan, ainsworth etc
All this will not happen when the draft start.

Rayner will be with Brisbane .
Zorko not getting any younger .

Pretty much agree. Rayner won't get past North if they have pick 2. Reckon Brisbane might swoop pick 1 though. Carlton will likely go another mid and build that engine room, they'll like their key stocks in McKay and Curnow with Casbault.

North might be tempted by Brander/Sutherland as well since Waite is almost 40. At this stage Brisbane surely take Rayner and North take LDU/Cerra/O'Brien.

I like brander too for first rd can play both end like Cox,
Third Rd Tim Kelly .
4th rd: Ian milera , Hugh dixon , liam Ryan, ainsworth etc
All this will not happen when the draft start.

Rayner will be with Brisbane .
Zorko not getting any younger .

I don't think it would matter if Zork was 18, Rayner appears to be the best player so Brisbane should take him regardless. Think Ainsworth will be long gone before our second pick.

IMO for Freo

1st - Brander
Next - Allen
Next - Whoever is left out of Hayes, Coleman Jones, Crossley if any (Ruckman always slip)
Next - Patmore
Next - Liam Ryan

Obviously might need to do some trading to have access Allen and the rucks/ruck forwards.

in
North might be tempted by Brander/Sutherland as well since Waite is almost 40. At this stage Brisbane surely take Rayner and North take LDU/Cerra/O'Brien.

I don't think it would matter if Zork was 18, Rayner appears to be the best player so Brisbane should take him regardless. Think Ainsworth will be long gone before our second pick.

IMO for Freo

1st - Brander
Next - Allen
Next - Whoever is left out of Hayes, Coleman Jones, Crossley if any (Ruckman always slip)
Next - Patmore
Next - Liam Ryan

Obviously might need to do some trading to have access Allen and the rucks/ruck forwards.

Very much like your draft selections. The allen and ruck/fwds will be particularly difficult as they are likely gone earlier in the second round.

How freo get into that area of the draft is probably the biggest question.

in

Very much like your draft selections. The allen and ruck/fwds will be particularly difficult as they are likely gone earlier in the second round.

How freo get into that area of the draft is probably the biggest question.
Yeah my selections are fanciful in that we are not likely to have the picks...never mind that I have not seen anywhere near enough to make a judgement. All I know is before today I hadn't seen Brander play well forward. Now I have. Pick him please.

Can't think of who we have that is going to get us picks in the 20's. If Barlow wasn't worth anything not sure how Sherro, Subes, Ibbo, etc are worth more than a delisting.

Don't have to try and sell him to me, I want already.

Need to take Brander this year so we can take Hill next year. May also need to tank to have a pick low enough for Hill.
TBH Razine ,lukosious ,rozee, Ian hill ,one out of them will be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back