2018 AFLW Season - offseason moves

Remove this Banner Ad

They'll appeal, she'll get off, and realistically, I don't mind that. Except for serious, intentional acts, I don't like suspensions through a grand final. Suspend her for R1 next year instead. Otherwise, move on. The Grand Final should be the best players from the best teams. I know, you can't predict injuries, but at least the best players not injured should generally be free to play.

It's still going to be a bit of scramble to get two trams in time
It is worth remembering that quarters are only 15mins [with time-on only in the last 2 mins of each quarter]
Another alternative to crowded trams, AND ONLY IF a 'brisk walk' is not an issue.
Trains are timetabled to leave Royal Park Station (Parkville) backside of the zoo on Saturday @ 1:44 -- 2:04 -- 2:24 -- 2:44 -- 3:04 -- They go via the loop to Flinders [BUT SUGGEST Jump off at Flagstaff] -- Then another '10min brisk' walk to Docklands

So, 10mis walk to Royal Park
10mins train to Flagstaff
10mins walk down Latrobe - Flagstaff to Docklands = 30min & A LOT LESS CROWDS!!! #justsaying
ivPh1gD.jpg

They'll appeal, she'll get off, and realistically, I don't mind that. Except for serious, intentional acts, I don't like suspensions through a grand final. Suspend her for R1 next year instead. Otherwise, move on. The Grand Final should be the best players from the best teams. I know, you can't predict injuries, but at least the best players not injured should generally be free to play.

If someone has done enough to warrant suspension they should be suspended. Exempting someone in finals/grand final would be ridiculous as players/coaches would 100% take advantage of that.

If someone has done enough to warrant suspension they should be suspended. Exempting someone in finals/grand final would be ridiculous as players/coaches would 100% take advantage of that.
I think you'll find that this debate has occurred several times on BF.

I agree, if a coach tries to manipulate the system by deliberately attacking or injuring a player, the AFL should stamp it out poste haste. Throw the book at them. Fine the club, deregister the coach, and suspend the player. I'm also in favour of a live tribunal, where if a player is concussed/injured due to an actionable offence, that offending player should be taken off in the same quarter to level the playing field.

However, for something graded careless or negligent, I'm in favour of all suspensions being served in the regular season. Especially if they're incurred in the regular season. If there are 9 times as many regular season games as their are finals for a team, then a finals game is 9 times as valuable as a regular season game (at least). So serving a suspension during a final is 9 times as big a punishment. Hence why so many judiciaries magically downgrade when it comes to finals. And except for medium impact intentional, or high impact reckless, I'm fine with that.

As it is, there's no mechanism to defer a punishment, and so they let people off instead. I'd suggest that they should institute a mechanism to defer a punishment. Either way, you're dealing with an injustice - you're either hugely over-penalising the player by suspending them during the GF, or you're under-penalising the player by rounding 1 down to zero, instead of up to 10 (if, as I do, you attribute a GF as (more than) 10 times as valuable as a regular game).

Shakes head at Nunez ...as ridiculous as removing the 'close-enough' bonus point!

/adds salted caramel sarcasm to pot and stirs. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you'll find that this debate has occurred several times on BF.

I agree, if a coach tries to manipulate the system by deliberately attacking or injuring a player, the AFL should stamp it out poste haste. Throw the book at them. Fine the club, deregister the coach, and suspend the player. I'm also in favour of a live tribunal, where if a player is concussed/injured due to an actionable offence, that offending player should be taken off in the same quarter to level the playing field.

However, for something graded careless or negligent, I'm in favour of all suspensions being served in the regular season. Especially if they're incurred in the regular season. If there are 9 times as many regular season games as their are finals for a team, then a finals game is 9 times as valuable as a regular season game (at least). So serving a suspension during a final is 9 times as big a punishment. Hence why so many judiciaries magically downgrade when it comes to finals. And except for medium impact intentional, or high impact reckless, I'm fine with that.

As it is, there's no mechanism to defer a punishment, and so they let people off instead. I'd suggest that they should institute a mechanism to defer a punishment. Either way, you're dealing with an injustice - you're either hugely over-penalising the player by suspending them during the GF, or you're under-penalising the player by rounding 1 down to zero, instead of up to 10 (if, as I do, you attribute a GF as (more than) 10 times as valuable as a regular game).
This is her second time this year, if she wanted to make sure she played the GF maybe just not do it?

The photo used by AFL.com in an article (by Michael Whiting) about 'rugged utility' Brittany Gibson looks suspiciously like Jess Wuetschner.
Sad to hear the tv commentators on friday night say Jess could be a starter for the new Kangaroos team next season.

Girls win to wild an scenes, fans hang around for the presentation but still make the men's game during the first quarter.

Men are inspired by the women and put in a show. At the start of the fourth quarter the women, still wearing their match winning jerseys and carrying the cup up high, arrive and cheer the men into our first victory of the season.

Amazing scenes.
Love your thinking ,I am picturing it now !!

Sad to hear the tv commentators on friday night say Jess could be a starter for the new Kangaroos team next season.
Roos trying to get 50% tasmanians on their aflw list. She would be high on the agenda.

Don't know how it will work with a split squad.

We're gonna lose some good players.

Woosha would hurt though. Heart and soul player. Has been my favourite from the beginning.

Roos trying to get 50% tasmanians on their aflw list. She would be high on the agenda.

Gibbo too presumably :(

We're gonna lose some good players.

Woosha would hurt though. Heart and soul player. Has been my favourite from the beginning.

Gibbo too presumably :(
I will say some great opportunity for girls in tassie due to North's presence, but they are a long way behind qld. Long way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back