2018 AFLW Season - offseason moves

Remove this Banner Ad

Equal rights appeal could be used to improve conditions - the Afl arguments of low pay because there isn't a market and women's league operates at a loss doesn't hold up when the Afl have poured $400 million into Gold Coast where there clearly is not a viable market - but to initiate it over this incident at this time of year trivialises the opportunity and will put people against parity.

She has put her unhappiness ahead of the best interests of the women's league. Bit selfish in my opinion.

Equal rights appeal could be used to improve conditions - the Afl arguments of low pay because there isn't a market and women's league operates at a loss doesn't hold up when the Afl have poured $400 million into Gold Coast where there clearly is not a viable market - but to initiate it over this incident at this time of year trivialises the opportunity and will put people against parity.

She has put her unhappiness ahead of the best interests of the women's league. Bit selfish in my opinion.
Except that the competition they're in, clearly has the funds to support it.
I think the differentiation between the 2 comps will see her plea fail. To argue discrimination will be drawing a long bow, considering virtually all sports have different rules/expectations based on gender. In this case, there could even be an argument based on medical grounds, to have different rules/penalties.

Gordon & the club also pushing it. They should be smarter & realise the potential to focus on the wrong thing with GF to be played tomorrow. She will be in an emotional state which is understandable & should be getting better advice & support from the club.

Except that the competition they're in, clearly has the funds to support it.
I think the differentiation between the 2 comps will see her plea fail. To argue discrimination will be drawing a long bow, considering virtually all sports have different rules/expectations based on gender. In this case, there could even be an argument based on medical grounds, to have different rules/penalties.

Get your point but both competitions are owned by the same company. When any other company expands into a 'new' market they must pay industry rates to the new hires independent of the revenue stream. No one else is expected to work for less than minimum wage (which could be pro rata) until they develop customers. Don't see why a billion dollar sports industry should be excused.

Get your point but both competitions are owned by the same company. When any other company expands into a 'new' market they must pay industry rates to the new hires independent of the revenue stream. No one else is expected to work for less than minimum wage (which could be pro rata) until they develop customers. Don't see why a billion dollar sports industry should be excused.
Industry rates when there was previously no industry? So it's a third of the men's season so a 3.5 million salary cap each club?

It has to be commercially viable or there is no competition.

Industry rates when there was previously no industry? So it's a third of the men's season so a 3.5 million salary cap each club?

Go for the 3.5 cap - interest from elite athletes of all ages will flock to the oppot

Yada yada. The women basic wage is $10k and the rookie men are $100k. Do you reckon the Aflw coaches are also on 10% of the men's comp coaches salary and are expected to build the competition so they get paid better? btw most of the coaches are men. Cause if they are getting more than 10% the whole build it and the $ will come is bullshit. You invest in all or none.

Our own coach had a well paid Afl based job and I do not believe he would have had to take a pay cut to move into coaching especially as he, according to the new aflw book excerpt on the Afl.com.au site, was told to take the role.

Go for the 3.5 cap - interest from elite athletes of all ages will flock to the oppot

Yada yada. The women basic wage is $10k and the rookie men are $100k. Do you reckon the Aflw coaches are also on 10% of the men's comp coaches salary and are expected to build the competition so they get paid better? btw most of the coaches are men. Cause if they are getting more than 10% the whole build it and the $ will come is bullshit. You invest in all or none.

Our own coach had a well paid Afl based job and I do not believe he would have had to take a pay cut to move into coaching especially as he, according to the new aflw book excerpt on the Afl.com.au site, was told to take the role.
Are they? Sounds about double of a couple of years ago. Must have been a good negotiation.
The AFLW season is about a third, and they aren't full time ie no full time commitment, nor exclusive contract.

It will be good for everyone when/if they can reach that goal, but there still needs to be a return. Even the shitty Suns are on TV every week, which means even though Channel Seven are forced to show them, the AFL and associated sponsors are getting exposure. At this time, equal pay just won't and can't happen.
In terms of the competitions as a whole, we are comparing apples with oranges in almost every aspect, so to judge the fairness of a suspension by comparing it to the AFL men's competition is fruitless (see what I did there?).

Are they? Sounds about double of a couple of years ago. Must have been a good negotiation.
The AFLW season is about a third, and they aren't full time ie no full time commitment, nor exclusive contract.

It will be good for everyone when/if they can reach that goal, but there still needs to be a return. Even the shitty Suns are on TV every week, which means even though Channel Seven are forced to show them, the AFL and associated sponsors are getting exposure. At this time, equal pay just won't and can't happen.
In terms of the competitions as a whole, we are comparing apples with oranges in almost every aspect, so to judge the fairness of a suspension by comparing it to the AFL men's competition is fruitless (see what I did there?).

Haha yep sue did. Probably a good move

I don't know if that's the exact figure but it's jumped significantly for first year players in the most recent CBA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Learning to love footy again

I enjoy footy again.

When I finished my playing career, I was physically shot and mentally cooked. I’d lost the love for the game. Two coaches were sacked, the team wasn’t playing great footy and I was playing fullback. It’s never fun playing fullback in a struggling team. We were conceding the most inside 50s of anyone in two of those final years. Let’s just say I saw a bit of footy.

Read more at https://www.playersvoice.com.au/dan-merrett-learning-to-love-footy-again/#woRtGTUDYWyI5x1H.99

Learning to love footy again

I enjoy footy again.

When I finished my playing career, I was physically shot and mentally cooked. I’d lost the love for the game. Two coaches were sacked, the team wasn’t playing great footy and I was playing fullback. It’s never fun playing fullback in a struggling team. We were conceding the most inside 50s of anyone in two of those final years. Let’s just say I saw a bit of footy.

Read more at https://www.playersvoice.com.au/dan-merrett-learning-to-love-footy-again/#woRtGTUDYWyI5x1H.99

Daniel has such respect for the women and the amateur nature of their league. Really sums up why some gifted athletes don't 'make it' in professional sport. Glad that he enjoys the game again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back