2018 AFLW Season - offseason moves

Remove this Banner Ad

Unchanged team. Hildebrand named as an emergency which surprises me... as I think she's clearly in the best 21. Don't want to change a winning team, I guess. Reckon she could be a late in on Saturday.

Unchanged team. Hildebrand named as an emergency which surprises me... as I think she's clearly in the best 21. Don't want to change a winning team, I guess. Reckon she could be a late in on Saturday.
What I did like about her replacement, was that she actually provided a little bit of run out of the defensive half and lower her eyes and hit a target. Hildebrand has a tendency to just kick it long. She has a beautiful kick though.

What I did like about her replacement, was that she actually provided a little bit of run out of the defensive half and lower her eyes and hit a target. Hildebrand has a tendency to just kick it long. She has a beautiful kick though.
That might explain it. Are you talking about Pittmann? Hildebrand is a strong mark as well...anyway good to have competition for spots.

Hildebrands intercept marking is a huge asset and being able to kick more than 30m sets her apart.

Hildebrands intercept marking is a huge asset and being able to kick more than 30m sets her apart.
Hildebrand a big out,her intercept marking,physical prescence,and disposal,are a class above. If she's an emergency, one presumes shes fit.Miles ahead of her replacement.....dont get this at all.

I’m a big Hildebrand fan but not sure if we have a matchup for her against the Dogs. I wouldn’t want to go in too tall down back, especially if it rains as predicted.

Kaslar and Lutkins as the talls, and the rest smalls who can apply extreme pressure and rebound.

I’m a big Hildebrand fan but not sure if we have a matchup for her against the Dogs. I wouldn’t want to go in too tall down back, especially if it rains as predicted.

Kaslar and Lutkins as the talls, and the rest smalls who can apply extreme pressure and rebound.

At her recorded height of 165cm she's shorter than defensive teammates like Virgo, Koenen, Clarke, Campbell and the same as Pittman. But I agree she does play tall - good strength through the hips and knowing how to use that strength in marking contests helps. It's that contested marking that I'd have her in the team for.

Speaking of Koenen, is she the most underrated player on the team? Super reliable.

WTF.

I expect similar cases to be brought by gymnasts (different events for men and women), tennis (two sets v three sets), swimming (women's 1500m), etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point they are all missing is it will be virtually impossible to find a happy medium. If you argue that a player wouldn't miss in them men's therefore shouldn't miss in the women's then it also has to work the other way i.e. if they do miss in the men's then they miss in the women's.

If you try and use the same offences as the men's game, then the penalties become disproportionate to the length of the season (currently 7-8 games against 22-26), and the women don't earn nearly enough to use the same fines system.

If you try and use the same percentage of season/salary type penalty system for the AFLW as the men's then you will literally never see more than a 1 game suspension and essentially a $200 fine, neither of which will act as an effective deterrent.

Once the season gets longer it will be easier to use suspensions though. Frankly though I think Brennan and the Dogs have missed the point, don't sling tackle and there is no issue!

Funny that the Dogs said in their press release last night that they're all for parity between the women's and men's leagues and that's why they're really fighting it, but they had 10 months to raise the issue and didn't so it's pretty self serving.

Make the distinction between the player and the club.

Edit: just read it, she is being a tool.
Yep, appears she is driving it and being supported by the club.

Think someone from the bulldogs should maybe just whisper in her ear they have given it a good crack and it's time to let sleeping dogs lie.

It's always the Bulldogs who get upset, I still remember how upset they got over Claye getting a rising star nomination over Clay Smith.

Bunch of sooks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back