2018 Brownlow thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm absolutely flying, Gaso, and thanks for your concern.

Some wet behind the ears youngster "reached" out to me by email last week and was somewhat taken aback when I responded by suggesting that

"I would also like to just say that the term “reaching out” irritates me immensely. You either email me, telephone me or write me a letter, but “reaching out? Really???

I know it’s the thing to write these days, but perhaps make a statement and use proper terminology. Separate yourself from the other “sheep” out there."

He replied by saying he appreciated my frankness and would in future reconsider what he writes. And a smart idea too on his part because he is one of those unfortunate individuals who has a first name as a "family" name and in my haste to wipe the (assumed to be) smug look off his face, I very nearly replied to his "family" name.
Lucky he didn't ask for a reach around.

I call a conspiracy between the AFL and Hawthorn.

Higgo should have won, would have been BOG against Hawks until he got cleaned up. Burton gets off yet Higgo doesn't regain the same level of form for a few weeks and that's his chances gone.

I demand a Royal Commission.

Haha for anyone complaining about the integrity and validity of this award, it's not just the AFL that struggles in this part of the sport.

In soccer Mo Salah, who was in the final 3 for the best player in the world award, didn't get into the world best 11. Thibaut Courtois won best GK of the year, but didn't make the best 11, and a goal that was probably not even in the top 5 in the Premier League alone won the best goal of the year.

It actually makes the AFL and the Brownlow downright competent in comparison.

She's absolutely right. Way to much filler. I'd rather cut down the 'comedy' and extend the round highlights videos by a few minutes.

Haha for anyone complaining about the integrity and validity of this award, it's not just the AFL that struggles in this part of the sport.

In soccer Mo Salah, who was in the final 3 for the best player in the world award, didn't get into the world best 11. Thibaut Courtois won best GK of the year, but didn't make the best 11, and a goal that was probably not even in the top 5 in the Premier League alone won the best goal of the year.

It actually makes the AFL and the Brownlow downright competent in comparison.

Mo Salah won Puskas award for goal of the year and had no business winning.

Brownlow Medal Count (new and improved)

1, Put all vote envelopes for every round into a giant barrel.

2, Spin barrel furiously for a couple of minutes.

3, Proceed to open 1 envelope at a time in any random order.

4, Leaderboard is updated in real time.

5, After last vote is read out, winner is declared, and presented with his medal.

Could probably be done and dusted in 1 hour.

Brownlow Medal Count (new and improved)

1, Put all vote envelopes for every round into a giant barrel.

2, Spin barrel furiously for a couple of minutes.

3, Proceed to open 1 envelope at a time in any random order.

4, Leaderboard is updated in real time.

5, After last vote is read out, winner is declared, and presented with his medal.

Could probably be done and dusted in 1 hour.
Even better idea:

8.30pm - Gil appears on screen sitting behind a desk with a backdrop of all AFL sponsors, plus all dress designers, hairdressers, betting agencies, etc.

8.31pm - Gil opens envelope and reads “The winner of the 2018 Brownlow Medal is Tom Mitchell”

8.32pm - Tom Mitchell makes speech and says thankyous.

8.34pm - Gil announces a full list of votes is now available on AFL website and app.

8.35pm - Brownlow ends

8.36pm - Rerun of Caddyshack

I reckon they could fly through the first 15 rounds in half an hour. Then stop for a bit of an analysis and discussion of the leaderboard. Then finish off the last 8 rounds in another half hour. Throw in add breaks, round reviews, formalities and winners speeches and it'd be done comfortably within 2 hours. Long enough fir it to be an event, short enough to not be the snoozefest it is now

No interviews or "comedy" bits and leave other stuff like the community award and mark and goal of the year for the All-Australian night.

Not perfect maybe but getting this stuff right isn't rocket science.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back