Prediction 2018 Carlton Consensus Best 22 [Done and Dusted]

Who should be our 2018 Captain, 2 x Vice-Captains and 2 add. Leaders for Season 2018? (PICK FIVE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like that side, happy with that every week. But then again, no Willlo.

Competition for spots, what a great

Out of byrne and willo for that 1 defensive spot. Form will play a huge factor as to who gets the nod.

Why can't both play?

Casboult at CHF leading up as a marking target out of the backline, away from goal so most don't lose their minds when he is having a shot on goal

Then Harry being our option inside 50

Please dont say that makes for a slow forwardline when you add Garlett, Pickett and say Fisher

So no Curnow?

Charlie at CHF is a lock in my mind, Casboult/McKay can't play outside of FF/CHF

I have gone on record with how strongly I believe that Curnow needs to be entrenched at CHF

Why can't both play?

Casboult at CHF leading up as a marking target out of the backline, away from goal so most don't lose their minds when he is having a shot on goal

Please dont say that makes for a slow forwardline when you add Garlett, Pickett and say Fisher

If i had to have Levi in at all, i'd actually rather have Levi kicking for goal than field kicking.

And the big lug refuses to dish off handballs. He is horrible for ball movement.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/f03faad7428acadaae58ef41a4534280

Funny that according to.this article the reason Lang left Geelong is because he was played as a half forward and he wanted to get more midfield time and yet acc. to most of us here he wouldnt be in our best best 22 midfield either and by the looks of it cant even crack the forward line....
There is BF and then there is the club.

Lang I think will start in the 22 and mainly on the wing, occasionally Center square, then part of the midfield rest rotation in the forward pocket with Pickett, Garlett, Kennedy, Fisher and others ...

Little bit torn...didnt really want to vote for casboult and even Wright but I did because history shows we will play more senior players at the start of the year and phase some out througutout the year.

Means for round 1 specifically didn't pick McKay.
I went the other way and voted for McKay and Garlett ahead of Casboult and Wright.

Why can't both play?

McKay towels up Rance, Casboult marking everything, Pickett, Garlett with speed and Fisher with his one touch skills, move Weiters forward in the last quarter and run over the top of the Tigers ...

If i had to have Levi in at all, i'd actually rather have Levi kicking for goal than field kicking.

And the big lug refuses to dish off handballs. He is horrible for ball movement.
Agree ! By the time the big fella can see something might be on with a loose player or someone running past his brain is to slow to react and its too late .

Cheers mate, love doing these - always a fun exercise. Will revote for the last bench spot on Thursday or Friday. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest votes will be emergencies.
Currently Willa and Cuningham on bench and looking like Fisher as well as the 7th forward.

Intense contest for the Consensus 22nd spot with Lang, Garlett, Dow, Macreadie and Lamb in the running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree ! By the time the big fella can see something might be on with a loose player or someone running past his brain is to slow to react and its too late .
Like that ever happened. The only times we seem to have an option was a dinky little handball to someone running behind him straight into the rest of the contest, not running past the man on the mark into space.

Looking forward to seeing some decent link up play from players with genuine speed and the ability to hit a moving target. Might actually help our forward line look capable of kicking large scores.

Should come down to Dow, LOB, Lang and Garlett for that spot - that quartet may also include the three emergencies.

That's my early tip.

So as of 11am this morning 155 people have voted and 7 have selected Daisy to be in the starting line up...interesting.

Personally, I think he has to wind back the clock several years to get a regular gig in the side.

Still has glimpses of his former talent but not consistent enough to play on that merit alone.

His best qualities is now too intangible for a vote like this, his leadership and on field coaching. Think he'll still get regular games, if not every week, because of it.

I get picking Harry and I get picking Casboult.

But some of you have picked both. Madness!

Exactly. I picked Harry and left Levi out with the idea in real side he most likely there as pinch hitting in ruck when Kruezer needs a break and also giving the young forwards a chop out from time to time too.

Alright, we have our Starting 18! Forward voting will shut off shortly, but the six starting forwards as voted by you will be:

Levi, Jack, Harry, Matt, Charlie and Jarrod Pickett. Zac Fisher is the next to grace the pine, making up the 7th spot by beating out Garlett, Lamb and Lang.

Now in reality, we won't be playing more than 3 talls up forward. But luckily for us, a few of our talls have amazing so have midfield potential and the ability to float up/around the ground. Exhibit A is Charlie.

So whilst it'll look crazy tall having all of Cas, Big H, SOS and Charlie up forward - it's conceivable as Charlie will play much higher. Perhaps it'd look more palatable with Cas on the bench as he'd be supporting Kreuz in the ruck for 10%.

But c'est la vie. We are now quite literally the land of the giants, boasting more 190cm or above players than any other side - 21 at last check.

Last bench spot vote to come.

Last edited:
I think we found a flaw in the system. While this is a lot of fun (credit to you Matty411) we've ultimately created a 22 (21 so far) that's completely unworkable. There's no way Charlie, Harry, Levi and Jack will play in the same forward line.

The two games we played all four in the same time this year Bolts was forced to play Jack in defense where he proceeded to have two shockers.

Plenty dislike Levi (not a huge fan myself) but he's our relief ruckman so we still need him imo.

Realistically there's only four options:
1. Play Jack in defense (we have loads of better options in that position)
2. Drop Jack to the VFL
3. Keep Harry in the twos and hope he develops as a ruck so he can take Levi's role
4. Put Charlie into our midfield

I know which option I like.

Final results Fowards poll:-

1. Levi Casboult
    108 vote(s)
    68.4%
  2. Jack Silvagni
    135 vote(s)
    85.4%
  3. Harry McKay
    101 vote(s)
    63.9%
  4. Jed Lamb
    23 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. Matt Wright
    119 vote(s)
    75.3%
  6. Charlie Curnow
    150 vote(s)
    94.9%
  7. Dale Thomas
    7 vote(s)
    4.4%
  8. Zac Fisher
    64 vote(s)
    40.5%
  9. Cam Polson
    1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Jarrod Pickett
    143 vote(s)
    90.5%
  11. Andrew Phillips
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Jarrod Garlett
    53 vote(s)
    33.5%
  13. Tom De Koning
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Patrick Kerr
    4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  15. Kym Lebois
    1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  16. Darcy Lang
    32 vote(s)
    20.3%

I think we found a flaw in the system. While this is a lot of fun (credit to you Matty411) we've ultimately created a 22 (21 so far) that's completely unworkable. There's no way Charlie, Harry, Levi and Jack will play in the same forward line.

The two games we played all four in the same time this year Bolts was forced to play Jack in defense where he proceeded to have two shockers.

Plenty dislike Levi (not a huge fan myself) but he's our relief ruckman so we still need him imo.

2. Drop Jack to the VFL
3. Keep Harry in the twos and hope he develops as a ruck so he can take Levi's role

Appreciate the feedback mate. Once we have our 'Best 22' including emergencies (3) after this next vote, it'll be a clearer indication of our top squad and looking at it holistically, we'll have a better picture. Because I agree with your sentiments, though always difficult to reflect that in this experiment without bending the 'rules' I set.

2. Drop Jack to the VFL

My option is to drop the guy who has zero idea of how to play team footy and nowhere near enough ability to play as an individual. Levi.

Relief ruckman is not enough reason to continue with him imo. Because he is hopeless at that too.

Kruezer is a workhorse. When he plays , he thrives as a 90% ruck, just like most ruckmen. We can pinch hit around the 10%. If Kruze needs a few strategic rests thru the year, play Lobbe or Phillips once or twice.

We will improve our next stage of development exponentially when we move on from Levi. Start now imo. Harry McKay is not made of glass, get him in and blood him like all big forwards are blooded. 3rd year now. He won't be a star or anything this year, but we must move on from Levi in order to develop any kind of fluent system.

imo

Back