List Mgmt. 2018 draft/Young Talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Twoomey claims he is in the top 6 of some clubs lists and in most top 10s. Not being spoken about much because everyone is assuming he will be gone by our first.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-05/tomorrows-heroes-jordan-clark

Let's say he's still available. Should Freo take him because he's best available or look to chosing a player who will add to an area of weakness?

I'm interested in your personal opinion because an another hbf at the moment is just depth where a mid or small forward Freo are still a little light on

Let's say he's still available. Should Freo take him because he's best available or look to chosing a player who will add to an area of weakness?

I'm interested in your personal opinion because an another hbf at the moment is just depth where a mid or small forward Freo are still a little light on

They should take him because he is best available who has all the tools to succeed at a variety of positions on the field.

I personally don't see Clark as solely a HBF. His late games for Claremont showed that he is equally good at delivery into the forward line from the HFF, and (perhaps more importantly) comfortable in making the right decisions and execution in traffic anywhere across the field. The fact he was Top 10 endurance also adds to a potential midfield build.

They should take him because he is best available who has all the tools to succeed at a variety of positions on the field.

I personally don't see Clark as solely a HBF. His late games for Claremont showed that he is equally good at delivery into the forward line from the HFF, and (perhaps more importantly) comfortable in making the right decisions and execution in traffic anywhere across the field. The fact he was Top 10 endurance also adds to a potential midfield build.

Thank you

I'm all for multi positional players. He obviously has the tools to succeed

Had my four picks in the BF draft now...still not sure whether the club takes that 4th selection or not, but I snuck it in. I think it's possible we pass and are just keeping it up our sleeve in case Carter gets bid on, or we might just take him there anyway.

#16 Sam Sturt (188cm, 78kg from Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
#33 Ned McHenry (178cm, 71kg from Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
#41 Tom Sparrow (182cm, 81kg from South Adelaide)
#59 Tom Lewis (179cm, 80kg from Sturt)

Finished off the new look forward line with Sturt and McHenry, and went midfield with Sparrow and Lewis. Didn't quite get the speed I was after, but I went with what I thought was value and Carter as a rookie will offer that anyway.

Had my four picks in the BF draft now...still not sure whether the club takes that 4th selection or not, but I snuck it in. I think it's possible we pass and are just keeping it up our sleeve in case Carter gets bid on, or we might just take him there anyway.

Finished off the new look forward line with Sturt and McHenry, and went midfield with Sparrow and Lewis. Didn't quite get the speed I was after, but I went with what I thought was value and Carter as a rookie will offer that anyway.
Chris, where do you sit in the debate about Clark and the possible decision to select him if he is still available for us?

I see the forward and midfield as higher priorities, and note that Carter is projected to also play on the HBF for us. So for me the question about Clark becomes about his potential to translate his game into those areas of more direct need.

Alternatively, it could be that the club sees one of our HBFs as having the potential to transition into the mid/forward areas. For sure Blakely and S Hill should be considered for this already. Logue? Duman? Wilson?

I would be super happy with this draft. If we somehow got both Sparrow and Lewis then we wouldn't need an inside mid with our first pick as Sparrow and Lewis look awesome.

Good work Chris, now make it happen;)

Does look like a deep draft for inside mid's. Hopefully Carter and Medhat in the rookie draft.

Do your Claremont faithful see him as a HB or do they see more options for him?
They talk a lot of BS that mob but the few that have a ear to the ground see him best off HBF.

Just my own thoughts based on what I saw late in the WAFL season he is real classy. Freo prob felt at Pick 12/13 (Pick 11 moved back 1-2 places based on bids for Blakey and Thomas) they were too far back to get him. CT in afl.com.au this morning supports that view. A lot of upside given his heavy cricket focus as a junior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To those that have seen Tom Joyce play, would you say he’s a similar type of player to Lachie Neale at the same age?

Long time ago to remember back to Neale (as a youngster) but Joyce much better handballer than Neale - a lot faster and to better spots, that is his weapon.

Joyce I don't think is as high possession getter as Neale (athough Joyce still averaged large numbers in late 20s, Neale was 30+ all the time), Neale's kicking probably more dangerous, particularly nearer to goal.

Long time ago to remember back to Neale (as a youngster) but Joyce much better handballer than Neale - a lot faster and to better spots, that is his weapon.

Joyce I don't think is as high possession getter as Neale (athough Joyce still averaged large numbers in late 20s, Neale was 30+ all the time), Neale's kicking probably more dangerous, particularly nearer to goal.

Neale was a weapon under packs in his early days. Lots of times he'd handball out faster than our guys could cope (I recall one handball surprising Sheridan and bouncing off his chest). I'd say that fast handballs were one of his strengths. His weakness was his kicking, and what he worked on through his career were his tackles and bobbing up for a goal, which became another strength of his

Neale was a weapon under packs in his early days. Lots of times he'd handball out faster than our guys could cope (I recall one handball surprising Sheridan and bouncing off his chest). I'd say that fast handballs were one of his strengths. His weakness was his kicking, and what he worked on through his career were his tackles and bobbing up for a goal, which became another strength of his
yeah its shows that development and attitude can be just as important as skill

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/82d2c8b9fecbe29b536cadd46ada5dd3

"In fact, the teenager who is affectionately known as ‘Bobby’ after the cartoon character Bob the Builder, wants to be recruited by a Melbourne-based club so he can experience AFL in football heartland.

“I’d rather move than stay in Perth. I’d love to come to Melbourne — the home of footy — and live on my own two feet,” he said."

eca.jpg

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/82d2c8b9fecbe29b536cadd46ada5dd3

"In fact, the teenager who is affectionately known as ‘Bobby’ after the cartoon character Bob the Builder, wants to be recruited by a Melbourne-based club so he can experience AFL in football heartland.

“I’d rather move than stay in Perth. I’d love to come to Melbourne — the home of footy — and live on my own two feet,” he said."

View attachment 582286

I don't doubt he will cope well over east. He might not be a flight risk for Melbourne clubs but a friend of his who I work with told me he wants to play for Freo and his mum wants him to stay in Perth.

Obviously who's mum would want their 18 yeat old leaving for a number of years or more

View attachment 582286
Probably knows the Dockers don't have him on their board with the first two picks..

View attachment 582286

I might be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 but I think we’ve told him that we won’t be taking him with our first pick.

You shouldn't put any extra value in what a player says in the media, especially when they have their back to a wall. I'm sure I could dig up an article quoting Nathan Wilson saying he loves it in Sydney and isn't thinking of coming home while GWS were still in finals, then once the season is over it's home time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back