List Mgmt. 2018 draft/Young Talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a feeling Bytel could slip to our third pick. The midfielders around the range (Sparrow/Stack/Smith/Joyce) are all players we've seen play during the year and a year off with a back injury certainly isn't pretty for a club

If we got say Stack and Bytel with those 2 picks, I'd be pretty damn happy

Since you asked... ;)

Hill - 20.8 (8th percentile)

For comparison:
Jarrod Cameron - 25.9 (99th)
Geez those are some huge hands for probably the skinniest kid in the draft pool.

Must admit I didn't see SD colts play much last season but I just don't get the hype around Cameron. Even that u18s game he kicked a bag of goals, all of them were out the back kicks at goal weren't they? Credit to him for kicking them through the sticks but the hard work was done further up field by WA to move the ball fast so he had an open 50 to work back into. Comparing his and Ian Hill's highlights on Draft Machine is like watching a Toyota Celica vs a Ferrari imo. Anyway here's hoping WC have to match a bid in the 2nd round - not so sure it will happen though - the recruiters don't get hyped purely on recent performances and uneducated comparisons to Charlie unlike the media.

For those in the Hill camp, with the greatest respect to your good selves and the player, please explain to me how or whether you think IHill would have significantly altered the outcome in the Geelong debacle.

Does he do it through his midfield class or through his mercurial moves up forward. Please walk me through it.
Conveniently omit that luke ryan and hamling were injured

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'll likely post my final phantom tomorrow. I haven't done anything too out there with Fremantle's picks...

#23 Ian Hill
#35 Luke Foley
#42 Tom Lewis
#57 Jason Carter

The one thing I did was have us trade down in the first round with GWS, still get Ian Hill but also pick up a second round pick for 2019 too. Had I kept Fremantle with their original pick, I would've considered the likes of Sturt, Duursma and Stocker.

I'll likely post my final phantom tomorrow. I haven't done anything too out there with Fremantle's picks...

#23 Ian Hill
#35 Luke Foley
#42 Tom Lewis
#57 Jason Carter

The one thing I did was have us trade down in the first round with GWS, still get Ian Hill but also pick up a second round pick for 2019 too. Had I kept Fremantle with their original pick, I would've considered the likes of Sturt, Duursma and Stocker.

I'd be happy if we traded our 2019 1st for another 1st in the teens this year (and swap of other picks to comply with drafting rules)

Would love to get Clark at 11-16 and Bobby at 18-23.

We like to rock the boat a bit, and can see us pulling something like this on draft night.

Adel, Port have picks that would suit, but they may use those to trade up . GWS pick 11 could be an option. Gives them some more cap space for a higher pick in 2019.

Clubs will back themselves to finish higher than opposing clubs and improve the pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely unnecessary reaction to a reasonable question.

Read it again champ.
Geelong are a fantastic attacking side that can punish bad teams. Its a double edged sword because they are poor defensive runners. Good teams get them on the counter. That day they didn't respect our ability to hurt them on attack and could "cheat" by running forward of the play. Ian hill could legitimise our attacks and would force their defenders to defend rather than zone off. That being said I could see the result coming. Tired team against flat track bullies in terrible weather. I was on Geelong to win by 100plus

For those in the Hill camp, with the greatest respect to your good selves and the player, please explain to me how or whether you think IHill would have significantly altered the outcome in the Geelong debacle.

Does he do it through his midfield class or through his mercurial moves up forward. Please walk me through it.
Ok I'll give this one a bash...

Do you think any 18yo draftee would have a major impact in a game like that?

If we were to draft an 18yo inside midfielder, who would they displace/have more of an impact of Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely, SHill, Walters, Conca, Brayshaw, Cerra or Banfield?

If we were to draft an 18yo defender who would they displace of Hamling, Pearce, Wilson, Ryan, Logue, Duman or one of the mids above that rotates through half back? Would they probably also be behind Kersten, Hughes and Nyhuis?

If we were to draft an 18yo outside midfielder, would they displace the Hill boys, Langdon or Colyer? Or even Tucker and Giro?

If we to draft an 18yo tall forward who would they displace of Hogan, Lobb, Taberner, Cox? Or even Dixon and McCarthy?

If we were to draft an 18yo ruck who would they displace of Sandi, Darcy or Apeness? Or even Meek and Jones?

If we were to draft an 18yo small/medium forward who would they displace of Walters, Bennell, Matera, Ballas, Switkowski?

I would say the best chance an 18yo draftee has to come into our B22 and make an impact in 2019 is either as a small or medium forward. And as none of our small/med forwards (except Bennell) have elite pace that's probably the ingredient that's going to make the most impact. Other than mature agers (eg Kelly) did anyone have as much impact as Stephenson last season? Do we assume it was just because Stephenson was incredible? Or possibly because adding his speed to Collingwood's forward line made their whole forward line far more effective and dangerous? West Coast similarly added speedy small forwards to their forward line and reaped similar rewards. Did any of the top 4 teams have an 18yo draftee playing in their midfield? Or even in their defence? Did any of the top 8 teams (I haven't checked btw)?

No more small forwards for me...weve got one A grader in Walters and then theres the rest

Ballantyne Matera
Giro Crowden Swita

Weve gotta see what they have got to offer and give them one more year

Enough of the little league no matter how much Hill is rated

If we get a quality mid available in the draft 186 to 188 cms go for it !!!

We should have cleared Ballas end of season but we didn't so next year cull a couple of smalls and draft replacements then.

but another big mid to groom for Mundys retirement is the go for now

We need a small forward I’m just not convinced pick 14 is the right pick...

Also with Carter we should only draft him if he’s best available. If it comes to pick 65 and we rate someone else higher it’s sorry mate unless he’s overlooked completely and we get him as a Category B rookie. Same with Medhat if we even plan on listing him.

Harsh on Matera given the role he had to play
Agree. We recruit a quality small forward, then don't play him in the forward line, and everyone cracks the shits on him because he's not kicking goals while being played out of position.

We need a small forward I’m just not convinced pick 14 is the right pick...

Also with Carter we should only draft him if he’s best available. If it comes to pick 65 and we rate someone else higher it’s sorry mate unless he’s overlooked completely and we get him as a Category B rookie. Same with Medhat if we even plan on listing him.
Would be a doggo act picking academy players in the rookie draft. Dont think clubs would do it would they ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back