2018 End of Season Wrap Up

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Suprised there isn't a thread already to discuss our season overall.

Looking at ladder position this season feels like a fail but on the other hand we have won the same amount of games as 2017 so we're on par.
All in all the last 3 and half months I haven't seen Essendon play as good as football that they did in 10 years +, if the players can build from the back half of this year and realise that hard work will be rewarded for 2019.

Our list I feel it's in a great place, majority of our important players in our best 22 are 25 or under bar Heppell, Hooker and Hurley, the younger ones will develop even more. I just hope when Joey is back in the team he leads up to the ball being kicked inside 50, none of this waving for the ball long hoping to wrestle or jump on the defenders head which he does too often.

Last edited:
Some positives of 2018 summed up in this and a snapshot of our future.
4ec7d2667764f49ff864aca804681085.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

After watching last nights game live there are two things that I think need to be focused on in the off season.

1. KICKING EFFICIENCY! OMG for how long has this been a problem. It either results in unnecessary pressure being put on the defence or fwd thrusts ending up being a 50/50 contest.

2. Accurate tap to advantage work when you are under pressure. Rather than taking possession and then attempting to get a quick handball out which normally results again in unnecessary pressure.

FMD Whothawns have been doing these two things successfully for a decade now and have the silverware to show for it.

Please please please fix these two things.

Having said all this I thought our in and under work last night was exceptional. Attack at the ball crucial, Parish was a beast in this area last night.

Since 2000, a record of 12-10 and a percentage of 105% would have finished in these positions:

7th, 8th, 6th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 9th, 9th, 9th, 8th, 8th, 8th, 10th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 8th, 8th

Would have made finals in 12 of the last 18 seasons (2/3) - not this year though!

After some awful moments in the first 8 weeks, we had some incredible highlights as well. If we can change that 2-6 this year into a 5-3 or 6-2 next year, we will be in it up to our eyeballs.

I never got to watch the gws or geelong games. So my plan is to watch these two games over various stages of the finals series.

Hell might even watch the replay of last nights game too.

After watching last nights game live there are two things that I think need to be focused on in the off season.

1. KICKING EFFICIENCY! OMG for how long has this been a problem. It either results in unnecessary pressure being put on the defence or fwd thrusts ending up being a 50/50 contest.

2. Accurate tap to advantage work when you are under pressure. Rather than taking possession and then attempting to get a quick handball out which normally results again in unnecessary pressure.

FMD Whothawns have been doing these two things successfully for a decade now and have the silverware to show for it.

Please please please fix these two things.

Having said all this I thought our in and under work last night was exceptional. Attack at the ball crucial, Parish was a beast in this area last night.

Our defense when we dont score needs some tightning saw a few times last night Port getting the ball out easily from our fwd 50

Let’s be realistic. We played 6 games against Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn. And lost them all.
That’s 3 of the top 4.
Sure we had a s**t draw but if we couldn’t beat them during the season we weren’t going to beat them in finals.
With a fit Daniher and Fantasia we’d be a chance against these teams.
Bring on 2019.

Let’s be realistic. We played 6 games against Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn. And lost them all.
That’s 3 of the top 4.
Sure we had a s**t draw but if we couldn’t beat them during the season we weren’t going to beat them in finals.
With a fit Daniher and Fantasia we’d be a chance against these teams.
Bring on 2019.
Hard facts are hard, however the difference between how we lost 2nd time round against each side was stark.

Yes that sounds like loser talk but you can't deny our upward trajectory. My fear going into 2019 is complacency. Hopefully there's not a drop of bathwater at the club to be drank over preseason.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back