World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup General Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Far out Germany were bad today. If Loew starts Draxler and Khedira again, he’s toast. Werner is also not a target man. Reus and Brandt both better than most even as late subs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cracking game Mexico and Germany...fast breaks down the corridor by Mexico created the goal...Germany were good ..defence was excellent but just not quite able to finish...half time I went to the beach here in Split...

That's fine. Just stop complaining you can't watch it then should you not wish to pay.

We have paid friend. That's the entire point.

They advertised a service, said it was available through their app, website, ATV etc.

And your solution to them failing to deliver their $15 a month service is for us to spend more money on it? This is the definition of throwing good money after bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree that Spain has looked the soundest contender thus far, but feels very open for now.

Couldn't figure out how to sign up through my browser so downloaded an android emulator, finally signed up through that & now I can't even load the game to watch it **** these campaigners
Yeah took me about 1 hour last Wednesday to figure out you need to action the app through iOS (iphone App store rather than browser). You can then do both (and chromecast), but the sign up required use of a device. Felt dumb for taking so long to work it out, but imagine some might have encountered similar troubles.

Streaming has been fantastic, had maybe 2 mins of buffering/poor res over 6 games on Optus. Might be an Optus in Brisbane NBN thing, and that no one else on the network is really using it during gametime (compared to something like a family household).

We have paid dickhead. That's the entire point.

They advertised a service, said it was available through their app, website, ATV etc.

And your solution to them failing to deliver their $15 a month service is for us to spend more money on it? This is the definition of throwing good money after bad.
Not sure why you're insulting me. Don't think I've done anything wrong.

Well you don't really have a choice, do you? Posting about it on a message board isn't going to solve your problem, is it?

The Fetch Mini however.....

Well you don't really have a choice, do you? Posting about it on a message board isn't going to solve your problem, is it?

As if you’d reward a s**t service by giving them more money.

World Cup's "bah-dum-tsss"

Argentina struggles against small islands since the Falklands War.

Germany has experience in losing on Russian soil.

The world has learned why Brazil's politicians trust Switzerland more.

Don't think you understand that paying more money should not be the reasonable solution when people are already paying $16 and not getting anything for it. We get it, you love your Fetch Mini as you repeatedly tell us.

So if Mexico beat South Korea to all but secure 1st in the group, Brazil finish 1st in their group and England finish 2nd in their group, England will play Colombia/Poland in the Round of 16 and Mexico/Serbia/Switzerland in the Quarter Final.

Fancy how one Germany loss in the World Cup can open up the draw for England. Now watch England * up this golden opportunity and win all 3 group matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Argentina should have got a penalty yet no VAR! Ridiculous.

Peru unlucky not to win, Schmeichel with some great saves.
I agree. Saw it live and thought straight away Pavon was fouled. On replay, he certainly was. Pathetic they don't even use it. Peru should have had an earlier one also.

Wow! Didn't this mornings results throw a spanner into the works. Love it!

Germany vs Mexico really livened up the world cup once more. What a enthralling, entertaining skillful contest this was. The Mexcians were ferocious and fast on the counter. Should have gone 2-0 up but they botched that 2 v 1 and weren't on the same page. I kept thinking Germany would hit back but it never came. I'm glad Mexico hung on because it caused a huge boil over and major shock in the football world. Great for the World Cup. They've showed they're capable before holding or taking great teams to the limit but their only one real big win was against France in 2010 who as it turns out, were very poor. Gripping now that another big gun has failed to win their opening game at the cup and in Germany's case, they lost. They could meet Brazil now in the 2nd round who also were held by Switzerland. Great to see.

Back to that 2 v 1 missed chance that would have made it 2-0. I recall back in 98, Hernandez as it turns out blew a chance to make it 2-0 after a poor shot was saved by Koepke. He scored the first and his second would have put mexico through to the QF's to play Croatia. Instead Germany hit back with goals by Klinsman and Bierhoff and snatched the win. History didn't repeat this time and I'm happy for them as they deserve a bit of luck after having lots of bad in previous campaigns gone by.

94 - eliminated by Bulgaria penalties 2nd round. Drew with Italy in group.
98 - Drew with Holland from 2-0 down in group. Lost to germany 2nd round
2002 - beat croatia and drew with Italy in the group
2006 - loss to argentina e.t 2nd round
2010 - beat france in group, loss argentina 2nd round
2014 - drew with Brazil, beat croatia in the group. Late goals loss to holland 2nd round controversially.

They can hang with the best of them, just couldn't quite go that extra yard. Today they did. Great to see the underdog get up.

Anyway so many story lines now so early on in the world cup and good to see the big guns not have it their way. Very happy for Switzerland too, great result vs Brazil. Serbia game I didn't enjoy but like Mexico I'm happy for their team and their fans. They deserve some good spirit.

On another note I recorded the Germany-Mexicogame on SBS to watch delayed and the morons didn't allow for enough time to complete the game. I realised this at half time just as I was in full relaxation mode and buzzing off my Colombian Espresso. Fosters analysis was awesome and couldn't wait for the second half only to realise I couldn't watch all of it. Went on Optus and they didn't have the replay up yet, yet they had Brazil-Switzerland. Watched the mini game highlights but it spoilt the mood and ruined the groove. Pathetic and unprofessional by both. They've sure ruined a lot of games in the short time the cups been on for heaps of viewers.

can anyone tell me how the VAR works? I just watched yesterday's highlights, and they showed a clear penalty to Mexico go uncalled. The German pulled him down from behind. What was the call there?
Then in the Brazil v Swiss game, the Swiss guy put 2 hands in his opponents back before heading in the equaliser. Surely thats a foul?
And yet they give a penalty to France when the aussie appeared to get a toenail to the ball, barely touched the Frenchman who did what the french do and surrendered (his feet).

can anyone tell me how the VAR works? I just watched yesterday's highlights, and they showed a clear penalty to Mexico go uncalled. The German pulled him down from behind. What was the call there?
Then in the Brazil v Swiss game, the Swiss guy put 2 hands in his opponents back before heading in the equaliser. Surely thats a foul?
And yet they give a penalty to France when the aussie appeared to get a toenail to the ball, barely touched the Frenchman who did what the french do and surrendered (his feet).

Nobody really knows, which is the problem!

Regarding the Mexican one, the ref decided it was no pen and that was that.
It was exactly the same situation as the French one in my view, except that the VAR ref decided the French one represented an obvious error.

In both cases, there's a case to award a penalty, and a case not to. In the France-Australia one, the VAR operator decided that the ref made an error that needed to be corrected, but that didn't happen in the Germany-Mexico case.

In my opinion, the VAR shouldn't have intervened in either case as the ref made a decision and the ref's decision was not an obvious error that needed to be corrected. No technology can take the subjectivity out of making a decision about what's a penalty and what's not, which is why VAR interventions should be minimal.

The way VAR was used in the A-League this season was farcical at times. The technology can help, but they need to pare it back.

I haven't seen the Brazil game yet.

The Brazil/Switzerland one was just awful and that was with the referee having no players blocking his view and looking straight at the two players in question (the replay of the goal showed that). If refs start being lazy and not paying attention because they think VAR will bail them out all the time, we’re in big trouble as it proved this morning.

And screw showing the VAR centre before every game if they’re still going to get it wrong.

Stupid optus.
Woke up and wanted to watch the germany mexico game first up but the full match wasnt there. So as my time was limited i watched the brazil game and of course the commentator gave the result of the earlier game.

Why optus why could you not have the earlier game up but the later game was up!?!

Stupid optus.
Woke up and wanted to watch the germany mexico game first up but the full match wasnt there. So as my time was limited i watched the brazil game and of course the commentator gave the result of the earlier game.

Why optus why could you not have the earlier game up but the later game was up!?!
Mini match next time. 20-25 minutes of extended highlights. Doesn't reveal any scores. And of course the next match would reveal the scores;)

I posted a similar thing to you btw. You have to know all the tricks of the trade first when watching sport.

You are being incredibly rude imo, why shouldn't people complain?
Am I?

There is a solution to solve the issue. People may not like it, or agree with it, but it is solvable.

I do not blame people for not wanting to pay more money, but when it's the only option, what else is meant to be done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back