World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup-Group G Thread (Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England)

Remove this Banner Ad

So with Sweden topping the group, this likely means Spain would be the only team in the way for the 2nd placer in this half. (Of course, we do say if you assume... it makes an a** out of U and me)

Of course, having lost to Iceland and Wales, I'm sure we won't see any "tanking" shenanigans... surely?

We can’t afford to play all that silly buggers stuff regarding who we would rather play when we haven’t won a knockout match since 2006. Just play hard and well against Belgium and see where that gets us. Personally I would rather not play Colombia in rd of 16 but they’re not even guraunteed getting through. Group G matches are played after Group H so we’ll know beforehand what position draws who

Brazil (just like Germany before they got dumped) aren't unbeatable. Play them as early as possible. To win the WC England will have to beat a good side eventually. I thought the Germans would eventually snap into their normal game but they're out, France, Brazil & Spain aren't at their best so why not try and just win every game. So far Croatia & England have been the best two sides overall. Yes I've changed my tune I can't see why England aren't a chance. Doesn't mean I don't think their defence isn't suspect I just don't think any side doesn't have massive weaknesses

Brazil (just like Germany before they got dumped) aren't unbeatable. Play them as early as possible. To win the WC England will have to beat a good side eventually. I thought the Germans would eventually snap into their normal game but they're out, France, Brazil & Spain aren't at their best so why not try and just win every game. So far Croatia & England have been the best two sides overall. Yes I've changed my tune I can't see why England aren't a chance. Doesn't mean I don't think their defence isn't suspect I just don't think any side doesn't have massive weaknesses
Oh dear.

If I think they're a good chance you must think they're unbeatable with one of the best CBs in the world?
More laughing that that bookmark and you gloating about being right hasn't even lasted another match.

More laughing that that bookmark and you gloating about being right hasn't even lasted another match.
Through no doing of their own just that every other side is falling apart just as much if not more. I still think their defence will be exposed and concede stupid goals

Listening to Talk Sport UK is great. Talkbackers debating whether england to lose and take the "easy route" or win and take the other one. Some key points:

WIN
- go in with 3 wins and momentum
- play whoever from H (Japan, Colombia, Senegal).
- win R16 and play brazil/mexico
- "tougher" draw, and if lose, at least won 4 games

LOSE
- enter R16 with 2-1 record play whoever from H (Japan, Colombia, Senegal).
- win R16 and play the swiss or swedes in 1/4s
- play one of Spain, Russia, Croatia, Denmark in the semis
- bad karma if deliberately lose

PNs thoughts
- if you wanna be the best, gotta beat the best at some stage
- germany are out so cant lose to them on pens
- but can still lose to someone on pens

Regards,

Petey N.

Through no doing of their own just that every other side is falling apart just as much if not more. I still think their defence will be exposed and concede stupid goals

Right. So when I said their defence was fine because everyone else's was s**t too and you still giggled and did your whole song and dance?

It's fine, this doesn't have to be another thing. Just found it funny. :)

Right. So when I said their defence was fine because everyone else's was s**t too and you still giggled and did your whole song and dance?

It's fine, this doesn't have to be another thing. Just found it funny. :)
At that point Mexico had looked very good defensively in their opening two games, solid in the 2nd game as expected but copped a worldie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s be honest, none of the big guns have been much cop (Brazil, Spain, France & Argentina). Belgium and England have banged in lots of goals but against trash teams. We’ll only know when the serious stuff starts in the knockouts how decent teams are.

Good to see the strikers going hard early. Not often you get guys on 5 and 4 goals after 2 games in a tournament. Can say it's down to the opp but Ronaldo bobbed up as well.

Outstanding.

LOSE
- enter R16 with 2-1 record play whoever from H (Japan, Colombia, Senegal).
- win R16 and play the swiss or swedes in 1/4s
- play one of Spain, Russia, Croatia, Denmark in the semis
- bad karma if deliberately lose

There's more. The team finishing 2nd doesn't have to travel as much, which former WC players thought was significant. On the other hand, deliberately finishing 2nd will cause your opponents to be extra motivated.

I have no idea what I want myself. It does seem like a wasted opportunity for a historical game, for us Belgians anyway. We are expected to leave out Lukaku, Hazard, Mertens, De Bruyne, Vertonghen and Meunier. This game feels more like a friendly and the idea that both may want to finish 2nd feels uncomfortable.

There's more. The team finishing 2nd doesn't have to travel as much, which former WC players thought was significant. On the other hand, deliberately finishing 2nd will cause your opponents to be extra motivated.

I have no idea what I want myself. It does seem like a wasted opportunity for a historical game, for us Belgians anyway. We are expected to leave out Lukaku, Hazard, Mertens, De Bruyne, Vertonghen and Meunier. This game feels more like a friendly and the idea that both may want to finish 2nd feels uncomfortable.

You have enough talent, especially given the shock nature of this cup, to do something special

Absolute chuff for me to say this considering we’ve done nothing, just embrace it and enjoy it - it’s your best chance ever - from a bloke that loved Oliviera in 98

It’s a shame finishing first in the group doesn’t give the incentives for each team to go for it. I think we will be happy to win it, but I can see it ending a draw with England taking the booby prize of first place on yellows

Perhaps to avoid this sort of scenario occurring again they should just do a draw after the group matches. Make two pots - those who finish first against those who finish second. Make it more exciting as well

I personally don't think either Belgium or England are going to deliberately tank the game.

Sure, they might go easier on each other, hold back from dangerous tackles and play weakened squads but you still go out there to win and finish top of the group.

Perhaps to avoid this sort of scenario occurring again they should just do a draw after the group matches. Make two pots - those who finish first against those who finish second. Make it more exciting as well
Would think that logistics makes this impossible - more for the fans than anyone else, but it would significantly affect the teams and where they set up base too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back