World Cup 2018 FIFA World Cup Semi Final 2-CROATIA V ENGLAND

Remove this Banner Ad

Croatia deserving winners, after that early goal England sat back to defend the lead rather than attacking which allowed Croatia to run over the top of them.

Once Croatia equalised they were the favourites as they were in attack mode while England were still in defensive mode and couldn't turn it around.

Going to be tough for Croatia in the final, especially with one days less rest and playing extra time but they're a gutsy team so you wouldn't write them off.

Not surprised at the result. Croatia have been the best side England have come up against (sans Belgium in what was almost a dead rubber) and England's weak midfield was exposed by Croatia's elite. Hopefully they can go all the way now.

Croatia are a team who don't play for themselves. England are changing this sentiment but still have a ways to go. Perisic was dynamite!

That’s the general idea in football. You support and follow your local side that represents the local community. Obviously I know there are lots out there who pick a team on the other side of the world that they have some tenuous ‘connection’ to, which is not my thing but I have no issue with people who do that. But even then I don’t understand why you would actively cheer against players from your own club side.
Oh, I'm not allowed to follow teams that aren't my local side?

I guess I better stop following every international sporting code there is then because I've never had the fortune of living outside Australia :rolleyes:

Oh, I'm not allowed to follow teams that aren't my local side?

I guess I better stop following every international sporting code there is then because I've never had the fortune of living outside Australia :rolleyes:
You can obviously follow whoever you like. I just struggle to find where people draw the line when choosing to support a team with no connection. Do you stop supporting an epl club who gets relegated because you follow the epl and not the championship? Do you stop supporting a team if they sell your favourite player that was the reason you started supporting them? (Rhetorical questions, not aimed directly at you or your situation) There’s no obligation to stick with a side without that genuine connection.

kicks off after 2 mins and pretty much sums up the Country.

would there be better place right now to be in the world

Gotta love every car honking non stop in the streets

Was like that on Barkly Street and Geelong Road when we saluted in 2016, though was late afternoon. Would imagine Swan St, Bridge Road and Church St was like that last year for you boys.

Beat Tunisia in stoppage time
Beat Panama one of the worst performing sides at the world cup ever
Lose to Belgium
Beat Colombia on penalties with their best player out
Beat Sweden
Lead Croatia 1-0 who had not one but two extra time and penalty shootouts
Get overran and destroyed after conceding

They made the semis. But they had a gift of a draw not only in the group but after it. Scoring off set pieces and penalties, same old England. lol'd at the long ball 'Arry tactics towards the end. Resorting to what's in the DNA.

Imagine if you flip Belgium and England. I think England would have the quality to see off Japan but I have my doubts whether they would be able to get past Brazil. Absolutely blessed run.

Socceroos can win a WC,all mental.

I believe the squad is good enough,just need belief.
tenor.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In your spurs example my question wouldn’t be why does the non English person not support England, but what is their connection to Spurs that makes them feel such strong support to a club on the other side of the world?

This really isn’t on topic though. This thread should be for Croatians to celebrate in. My fault for detailing

I read your contention is:

But even then I don’t understand why you would actively cheer against players from your own club side.

Because you are not barracking for the country, as you are not English. Supporting a team is vastly different.

Supporting a team in another country, state or even city value adds to your interest in the code/sport/league

You can obviously follow whoever you like. I just struggle to find where people draw the line when choosing to support a team with no connection. Do you stop supporting an epl club who gets relegated because you follow the epl and not the championship? Do you stop supporting a team if they sell your favourite player that was the reason you started supporting them? (Rhetorical questions, not aimed directly at you or your situation) There’s no obligation to stick with a side without that genuine connection.

Palace because i lived in south london for a couple of years in my 20s. definitely no glory hunting.

and reveling in an english loss is something hardwired into the Australian psyche. it's like the argies loving a brazil loss, or the kiwis enjoying watching an aussie team fail.

what's hard to understand is your over analysis of the situation. club is not country

I'm mentally and physically exhausted.
England should have put the foot on the throat after half time.
Instead the let Croatia in with a sniff and the rest is history.
I predicted 2-1 Croatia's way and after that equaliser, I knew we'd win. They seemed to want it a whole lot more.
Not really fussed how the final goes. if they can't win, I'm just hoping it's not a hammering.
If they do win, I've told the boss I'll be MIA on Monday and possibly Tuesday.
Croatia's population is about 4.2 million. It'll be 5 million come next April if they win the final.

It's not called the EPL you know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back