List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just opinion.

Absolutely, I'm enjoying the discussion.

Agree with the Richmond ruck comments, and I do laugh at one of the footy shows saying that Nankervis and Grigg 'towelled up all opponents during the finals series'. Au contraire, the hit outs to advantage showed that Rory had a great game for the most part (a few errors around the ground) but certainly in the ruck arena. IMHO GWS did not lose the PF in the ruck contest.

Absolutely, I'm enjoying the discussion.

Agree with the Richmond ruck comments, and I do laugh at one of the footy shows saying that Nankervis and Grigg 'towelled up all opponents during the finals series'. Au contraire, the hit outs to advantage showed that Rory had a great game for the most part (a few errors around the ground) but certainly in the ruck arena. IMHO GWS did not lose the PF in the ruck contest.
Agreed
I expected them to take Jacobs more seriously though, he's got height skill and physical presence.. I think Mummy would have made a mess of Grigg. Rory less physical. That's why they worked so well I think, they're very different and we could match up with flexibility.
Leon preferred Rory alone in the finals though, so I get the reasoning that's most likely next year.

Is there an explanation for Jy Lane being in our academy? Atheltic winger type and when not at the bushies plays for Corowa/Rutherglen in the O&M. On face value he is less eligible than Spargo or do they just take off the cream of the bunch when deciding what is the Murray zone???????

Is there an explanation for Jy Lane being in our academy? Atheltic winger type and when not at the bushies plays for Corowa/Rutherglen in the O&M. On face value he is less eligible than Spargo or do they just take off the cream of the bunch when deciding what is the Murray zone???????

Is he actually in it, or is it like Spargo who still represented us without being eligible? If he is, I guess he lives out of town rather than in Corowa.

Just looked up the rd 1 team for the academy series game and he has murray in brackets next to his name like Spargo does so he guess hes not eligible. Its a bit confusing.
Yes, it's confusing, but I think from memory that all 3 (Jy Lane, Doulton Langlands & Alex Paech) were removed from the GWS academy. But they're all still NSW kids, and only received obviously the 2 or 3 nominations required for State Combine but not National Combine.

Doulton Langlands is the interesting one. He was quite creative off half back in the Division 2 Championship & for the Allies when he played, and has his supporters on the BF draft thread for a later pick after 50. I wonder if GWS might consider picking him up as a rookie if he doesn't get drafted in the National Draft, given that we will lose Nathan Wilson. I guess it depends on who else they select.

From the Sunday trade wrap ... I know that it's not necessarily getting 100% info, but still it would appear that both Freo & Carlton want to underpay. Happy for our trade team to stare them down. If a club wants to gain a player, they have to be prepared to give a realistic trade price IMHO. I don't wish ill-will towards either of the players, and I want them to get to their desired destinations, but those clubs have to play ball too.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-15/trade-wrap-charlie-deal-no-closer
  • Fremantle and GWS made no progress in their talks on Nathan Wilson over the weekend. The Dockers have offered a future second-round pick for the contracted Giants rebounder on the condition they get a later pick back from the Giants. GWS believes Wilson is worth a late first-round or early second-round selection.

• Carlton and Greater Western Sydney's talks on Matthew Kennedy also remain deadlocked. The Blues, who do not have a second-round pick in this year's draft, have offered pick No.40 for the Giants midfielder, but are not at this stage prepared to offer their 2018 second-round selection, which would probably seal a trade.

Truly

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/li...89456848a1659c215639ea9488d1e50#content-300pm

This story I find frustrating. It's clickbait if the worst kind. No reference to anyone at the club indicating we're interested in Goldstein. Just someone hoping we are.
Like the Honeychurch story I guess it's possible, but doesn't seem likely we'd want to take a huge salary onboard. I do like the idea of Goldstein in principle but it would set Rory and Dawson back.

Worst thing about the Honeychurch story is it fires up the Mutts, who seem to think their cast offs would be an upgrade for us.
Amusing watching them shitfight with the Bombers in the Stringer thread, a lot of them say one thing on their own board and another on the trade board. Bottom line is they've screwed the pooch bigtime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So on the list this year 44 including all rookies (and Patfull)
Johnson
Smith
Wilson
Kennedy
Downie
Patfull
Mzungu?
Mumford?
Last 2 are questionable but I would say likely
8 out in total with 6 from the main list and with Lloyd probably upgraded from the rookie list it leaves 5 spots if the club goes with 38 again
And possibles for the main list from the academy are
Shipley
Powell
Myers
Richards
Others as possibles for selection in the main draft are Spargo and Honeychurch and are people thinking they will try to draft a small forward with the cubs first selection who are the candidates? I have heard Higgins name mentioned and I feel the club is ok for halfbacks and defenders although the pace of Wilson will be missed
I actually think that the draftees from last year will have significant game time this year, Maybe Cumming will get a few games but he should play a key role in the neafl team and it will be interesting to see if he is played as an outside runner or rebounding HB

So my predicted 2 teams

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Tomlinson Whitfield
Scully Ward Kelly
Greene Cameron Shiel
Taranto Patton MDB
Lobb Cogs Hopper
Griffen Corr Deledio Setterfield
It is a personal preference for Whitfield to be kicking out of the defensive 50 and I like Setterfield for the flexibility with a bigger body

And assuming everyone is fit my NEAFL team would be
Buntine Mohr Stein
A Kennedy Finlayson Myers
Cumming Perryman Powell
Tiziani Sproule Shipley
HH
Flynn First Pick
Simpson Lloyd Reid
Honeychurch Richards ?? ??
What this tells me is the club is good for KP players and rucks and they have mostly had a few seasons behind them so are ready for AFL games except Sproule and Richards, I would like to see Flynn have a game or 2 next season
I think it does show the possibility to pick up another mature midfield depth player if the opportunity is around and the picks/spots are available
5 weeks to the draft I think

Last edited:
So on the list this year 44 including all rookies (and Patfull)
Johnson
Smith
Wilson
Kennedy
Downie
Patfull
Mzungu?
Mumford?
Last 2 are questionable but I would say likely
8 out in total with 6 from the main list and with Lloyd probably upgraded from the rookie list it leaves 5 spots if the club goes with 38 again
And possibles for the main list from the academy are
Shipley
Powell
Myers
Richards
Others as possibles for selection in the main draft are Spargo and Honeychurch and are people thinking they will try to draft a small forward with the cubs first selection who are the candidates? I have heard Higgins name mentioned and I feel the club is ok for halfbacks and defenders although the pace of Wilson will be missed
I actually think that the draftees from last year will have significant game time this year, Maybe Cumming will get a few games but he should play a key role in the neafl team and it will be interesting to see if he is played as an outside runner or rebounding HB
M'Zungu retired mate

Ricky Nixon claiming we are after Goldstein.

Goldstein has a kid down here and a complex social situation, he also has completely shot knees which have made him a redundant ruckman.

Hoping this one is fiction...if we must get a ruck go for Preuss or Hickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back