List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collingwood have hardly any KP defenders or KP players full stop and they didnt even give him a game. Before his ban he looked like he was coming along well but to miss 3 years of AFL level when in his prime is bit of a concern.

I took the forwatd/ruck in the VFL,and he's a big unit.
Agree otherwise but hard to see we need a tall defender. That was his preference. Can see tall forward depth a plus though.
I think you've got to trust the club in these things. They would know the details better than us
Agree. A lot of us were confused etc when we drafted MDB. He did the job for us.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

While a part of me is still asking WTF, I do see the club's rationale. We were expecting to pick up a ruck of some kind, just to provide depth after Mummy's retirement. I did have spots open in my list consideration for both a KPF & a KPD (or 3rd tall), so effectively GWS has picked one versatile KPP who can cover all those needs - with a presumably very cheap (& short) contract. Then, see how he goes for the year.

It does, to me, spell the end for any hope that Nathan Richards had of being drafted. GWS is now down to 5 likely ND spots (to have a main list of 38). I would guess they will hope for 3 live picks and then match 2 academy kids. An upgrade for Lloyd might be the backup option if Shipley costs too much; or even might see just the 4 ND spots planned if Lloyd is upgraded before the draft.

While a part of me is still asking WTF, I do see the club's rationale. We were expecting to pick up a ruck of some kind, just to provide depth after Mummy's retirement. I did have spots open in my list consideration for both a KPF & a KPD (or 3rd tall), so effectively GWS has picked one versatile KPP who can cover all those needs - with a presumably very cheap (& short) contract. Then, see how he goes for the year.

It does, to me, spell the end for any hope that Nathan Richards had of being drafted. GWS is now down to 5 likely ND spots (to have a main list of 38). I would guess they will hope for 3 live picks and then match 2 academy kids. An upgrade for Lloyd might be the backup option if Shipley costs too much; or even might see just the 4 ND spots planned if Lloyd is upgraded before the draft.
Could always get Richards as a rookie

Posted in the other thread but it will also allow the reserves to have flexibility if they only want to play a ruck for a certain amount of game time or to play Sproule in defence to learn and other options as I would have him third in line to play ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Keefe was solid as a defender when he was up and going a few years ago. Handy depth.

My record on these is average, was delighted with Lids (fail to date), accepted MDB who really did play a great role for us this year, and completely dismissive of Mzungu which turned out to be valid.

At this point I think this guy is a waste of a list spot and potentially a poor influence, but would genuinely love him to prove me wrong.

Some other names that I would have in contention for the clubs picks
Lochie O'brien Outside mid/running defender
Hunter Clark Running defender/mid apparently doesn't have the pace of Obrien but good foot skills
Gyran Miers Small forward and like Smith from the falcons and 175cm so 2018 would be a development year
And not that I am a fan but Lindsay Thomas in available and plays a role the club is in need of players and for a year the club could look at him as an option???

Last edited:
Some other names that I would have in contention for the clubs picks
Lochie O'brien Outside mid/running defender
Hunter Clark Running defender/mid apparently doesn't have the pace of Obrien but good foot skills
Gyran Miers Small forward and like Smith from the falcons and 175cm so 2018 would be a development year
And not that I am a fan but Lindsay Thomas in available and plays a role the club is in need of players and for a year the club could look at him as an option???
On his day, a dangerous forward. Those days are too few in frequency. Plus, Thomas doesn't fit our no dickheads policy. The guy is a disruptive tool off the field from what we hear. A big no from me.

I must admit that I no longer have a good sense of who I want to hear called out for GWS in the draft, and I might just be sitting back hoping that whoever gets called out proves to be a good pick in a few years time.

I understand the concerns about Higgins - both off-field and on-field queries - but to me he's still the best skilled player that is likely to be left at 11 (although there's certainly a chance he'll be gone earlier anyway).

In my opinion, there's 7 players almost guaranteed to be selected in the top 10 - LDU, Dow, Rayner, Cerra, Brayshaw, Coffield & Stephenson (not necessarily in that order). I believe that the next 3 will come from Higgins, Hunter Clark, Bonar, Fogarty, Murphy, Naughton, Brander and Constable. Who gets selected in the first 3 will impact later selections (mainly because Freo & Carlton having later second picks will choose those based on who they get in the top 3; & Saints' two picks will depend on who's left).

So, when you take another 3 out of that group, I find that who is left throws up as many questions as Higgins does. We don't need another KPD in Naughton, I don't rate Brander that highly, Fogarty struggled to perform this year (was it just injury, or is there a lack of desire/professionalism?), Bonar could be a brilliant mid-sized half forward (speed & power!) but comes with a query over his injuries so is a risk, Constable is slow and quite frankly GWS doesn't need another inside midfielder, & Murphy is a query for me on his desire and ceiling given the late change of career choice from cricket to AFL (could be very good, but could also lose focus and bail out). Hunter Clark could be the least risk option, with good skills and reasonable speed, but does he want to be a midfielder when we would use him off half-back and does that set up a chance he'll want to go back to Melbourne rather than stay long term? So I just don't know which way to jump. Really hope that the club has good processes to get a sense of how much buy-in the kids will likely have.

For what its worth my wish list of sorts which no doubt won't come close to happening

Pick 11 - Hunter Clark

Pick 27 - Spargo

Pick 28 - Petruccelle

Pick 57 - Worpel

Pick 65 - Shipley

Rookie draft - Reid

- Mitch Crowden
Imho
I like the picks 11 and 27
Petruccelle has speed doesn't get enough of it and an average kick
O'Brien would give outside run and is a better kick
Worpel and Shipley are both ball pigs but don't use it that well I dont think we need both so prefer Shipley.
We should be taking Powell at some point he would be in the top 5 kicks in this draft our side needs good ball users under pressure.
Reid and Richards for rookie

Imho
Worpel and Shipley are both ball pigs but don't use it that well I dont think we need both so prefer Shipley.
We should be taking Powell at some point he would be in the top 5 kicks in this draft our side needs good ball users under pressure.
I'm of similar opinion on Petrucelle & Worpel. Petrucelle is fast, but doesn't get enough ball or do enough with it. Need someone who's a better in those two areas IMHO - but depends on who's left, of course, I suspect Worpel won't be there at 57 either, and Shipley will be bid before 57, but agree that Shipley & Worpel a bit too similar to take both.

Imho

What I would say on Petruccelle is that he has only been in the system since the middle of last year and can see him really developing once his in an afl program and do think there is merit in looking at the occasional project player rather then someone who is expecting games from the get go.

Fair point on Worpel but do like his repeat efforts and the defensive application he brings along with his biggest strength which is his leadership qualities.

Hi all,

here is that info and link for the live Draft podcast for tonight!

DRAFT SPECIAL featuring two of the best in the business, AFL Draft Central and BigFooty's own, Bishop and Pie 4 Life

Join us live at 7:30pm Melbourne time as we discuss:

* Both Bishop and Pie 4 Life will provide their top 20 player rankings for this years draft

* Both will be selecting 5 players each (including 1 smokey that might be a hidden gem) to give a in depth review about that have impressed them this year

* Both will throw out some names they think might slide down the draft order this year

* We will go through a Mock draft for the first round selections

* Finish off with answering some listeners questions, which you can submit in the chat client while listening online!

You can tune in tonight LIVE at 7:30pm Melb time (approx) by clicking on the below link at around 7:30pm

https://www.spreaker.com/user/bigfooty.com

If you cant tune in to the live episode don't stress, i will post the edited version up afterwards on the draft and trades board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back