List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys just delete if you don't want any non Giants in here.. certainly not here to troll..

I think all the non vic clubs will have articles written and there is worse about Cerra at the Dockers being written but I am not sure if it has any truth and if it is viable but for first round pick players coming out of their first or second contract cannot nominate a club or some process to ensure an equal value is payed by the club would be a better idea

Im sure you have had more than your fair share of articles... but its just meat for the grinder... the media are basically parasites ... for example its been fairly constant about Kelly at Geelong..

Depending on who leaves and whether that gives us a high pick or collateral Rankine is a class above, an extraordinary talent who showed a glimpse today but believe me he was going half pace.

Adelaide will be trying to package up picks to get up high enough for him but if I was the recruitment manager for the Giants he would be the kid I would target.

Briggs looks really interesting and hopefully a bid for him comes below our first selection. He is more physical than Flynn and looks more ready made although most rucks are a 3-5 year investment in time.

Andre ..Briggs does look a very tantalising prospect.. has a bit of Mummy about him.. any idea on where he is expected to go .. would seem good value once you get to R3

Hey guys just delete if you don't want any non Giants in here.. certainly not here to troll..

Im sure you have had more than your fair share of articles... but its just meat for the grinder... the media are basically parasites ... for example its been fairly constant about Kelly at Geelong..

Andre ..Briggs does look a very tantalising prospect.. has a bit of Mummy about him.. any idea on where he is expected to go .. would seem good value once you get to R3

I wouldn’t expect a bid super early as the top 30 are considered pretty strong. Might get a bid after that but we should be able to match. I expect us to gain some more picks at the end of the year to give us more leverage.

I wouldn’t expect a bid super early as the top 30 are considered pretty strong. Might get a bid after that but we should be able to match. I expect us to gain some more picks at the end of the year to give us more leverage.

Thanks Andre

Its very hard to judge this year.. and rucks can be even harder to judge. Briggs would seem worth at least what Freo paid for Darcy. The amount of NGA and academy player this year.. every second player mentioned in the champs seemed tied to someone . We have a few possibles so I doubt we bid on him as much as we need a ruck and I rate his aggressive attitude.

It was sad to hear about Patton.. he presents as someone like Menzel now ..just maybe we will not get to see the best of him... considering the draft strength this year would you consider trying to get into the draft early..as you have done before?

Nice little article on Briggs and apart from filling a need it would also make good optics for the club to draft a western sydney kid in back to back years.
As a young child, Kieren Briggs would watch league on TV with his father and mix football with athletics. He supported the Roosters in the NRL and Sydney FC in the A-League. He knew very little about AFL. "As most kids do in western Sydney, it was either soccer or rugby league," said Briggs, 18, who grew up in Carlingford.
https://theage.com.au/sport/afl/car...-incursion-into-the-west-20180707-p4zq4b.html

Links busted

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Anyway here is the article by Andrew Wu:

As a young child, Kieren Briggs would watch league on TV with his father and mix football with athletics. He supported the Roosters in the NRL and Sydney FC in the A-League. He knew very little about AFL. "As most kids do in western Sydney, it was either soccer or rugby league," said Briggs, 18, who grew up in Carlingford. Briggs did not play the game until he was 11 when a good friend asked him to fill in for the local team, the Pennant Hill Demons. He figures he had seen "one or two games". When Sydney stars Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack returned to their junior club to take training one day Briggs had no idea who they were. Next year, he could be on the field with them. Briggs is considered by recruiters as near certain to being drafted after being named ruckman in the Under 18 All Australian team. He also has the competitive nature and physicality that talent scouts look for in a big man. If the Giants call his name out, he will join fellow western Sydney teenager Nick Shipley on the club's list, in what would be a massive shot in the arm for the game in the region. It's people like Briggs who the AFL were targeting when they added the Giants to the competition. "It was when the Giants came in that I followed the sport," Briggs told Fairfax Media. "I was 12,13 when the Academy started. I supported the Giants from there." Jeremy Cameron is one of his favourite players, which in itself is a sign of the small steps the code is making in foreign territory. He now watches more matches on TV to help with his "footy IQ". His father has come around to the sport as well. Briggs gave up soccer when he was "12 or 13", not long after his first game with the Demons. He liked playing but as "most decent soccer" is played in the early hours of the morning he did not watch much. Something had to give from his crammed schedule, which included two nights of AFL training, two nights of soccer, school sport on a Friday plus more matches on the weekend. His decision was made easier when one of his soccer coaches asked him: "If you don't like watching soccer, then why are you playing it?" "So I said, 'Alright, then I'll stop playing it'," Briggs recalled. "He was one of those rep coaches who said you should love soccer and yada, yada, yada. I chose AFL because I liked it more."
Despite being a promising shot-putter and discus-thrower, he gave up athletics at 16 as football had become his passion. "I just wanted to have a crack at AFL," Briggs said. Briggs was not picked for the national under-18 carnival last year when he was juggling football with year 12. He has made huge strides this year after deferring the start of his construction management and law degree so he could devote himself to pursuing his AFL dream. It has given Briggs, who works part-time as a supervisor at Coles, plenty of time to work on his game at the Giants Academy with head coach Jason Saddington. The draft prospect is building a solid CV. He has spent the past two seasons playing for the Giants' reserves team in the NEAFL as a forward/ruck. Last year, he was a 17-year-old ruckman in the Pennant Hills team which claimed the flag in Sydney's premier division. Shipley's drafting by the Giants, Briggs said, made him believe he could make it as well. "It made it a reality that kids from western Sydney can end up on AFL lists," Briggs said. "It's a possibility, just put everything into it and anything can happen and hopefully it happens at the end of the year."

Anyway here is the article by Andrew Wu:

As a young child, Kieren Briggs would watch league on TV with his father and mix football with athletics. He supported the Roosters in the NRL and Sydney FC in the A-League. He knew very little about AFL. "As most kids do in western Sydney, it was either soccer or rugby league," said Briggs, 18, who grew up in Carlingford. Briggs did not play the game until he was 11 when a good friend asked him to fill in for the local team, the Pennant Hill Demons. He figures he had seen "one or two games". When Sydney stars Jarrad McVeigh and Kieren Jack returned to their junior club to take training one day Briggs had no idea who they were. Next year, he could be on the field with them. Briggs is considered by recruiters as near certain to being drafted after being named ruckman in the Under 18 All Australian team. He also has the competitive nature and physicality that talent scouts look for in a big man. If the Giants call his name out, he will join fellow western Sydney teenager Nick Shipley on the club's list, in what would be a massive shot in the arm for the game in the region. It's people like Briggs who the AFL were targeting when they added the Giants to the competition. "It was when the Giants came in that I followed the sport," Briggs told Fairfax Media. "I was 12,13 when the Academy started. I supported the Giants from there." Jeremy Cameron is one of his favourite players, which in itself is a sign of the small steps the code is making in foreign territory. He now watches more matches on TV to help with his "footy IQ". His father has come around to the sport as well. Briggs gave up soccer when he was "12 or 13", not long after his first game with the Demons. He liked playing but as "most decent soccer" is played in the early hours of the morning he did not watch much. Something had to give from his crammed schedule, which included two nights of AFL training, two nights of soccer, school sport on a Friday plus more matches on the weekend. His decision was made easier when one of his soccer coaches asked him: "If you don't like watching soccer, then why are you playing it?" "So I said, 'Alright, then I'll stop playing it'," Briggs recalled. "He was one of those rep coaches who said you should love soccer and yada, yada, yada. I chose AFL because I liked it more."
Despite being a promising shot-putter and discus-thrower, he gave up athletics at 16 as football had become his passion. "I just wanted to have a crack at AFL," Briggs said. Briggs was not picked for the national under-18 carnival last year when he was juggling football with year 12. He has made huge strides this year after deferring the start of his construction management and law degree so he could devote himself to pursuing his AFL dream. It has given Briggs, who works part-time as a supervisor at Coles, plenty of time to work on his game at the Giants Academy with head coach Jason Saddington. The draft prospect is building a solid CV. He has spent the past two seasons playing for the Giants' reserves team in the NEAFL as a forward/ruck. Last year, he was a 17-year-old ruckman in the Pennant Hills team which claimed the flag in Sydney's premier division. Shipley's drafting by the Giants, Briggs said, made him believe he could make it as well. "It made it a reality that kids from western Sydney can end up on AFL lists," Briggs said. "It's a possibility, just put everything into it and anything can happen and hopefully it happens at the end of the year."
Thanks mate.

Thanks Andre

Its very hard to judge this year.. and rucks can be even harder to judge. Briggs would seem worth at least what Freo paid for Darcy. The amount of NGA and academy player this year.. every second player mentioned in the champs seemed tied to someone . We have a few possibles so I doubt we bid on him as much as we need a ruck and I rate his aggressive attitude.

It was sad to hear about Patton.. he presents as someone like Menzel now ..just maybe we will not get to see the best of him... considering the draft strength this year would you consider trying to get into the draft early..as you have done before?

I think trading up would be dependent on someone under contract moving out which we won’t know for some time. We need an injection of pace into the midfield, we need a quarterback replacement for Heater and we need a high quality ruck.

I would do anything to get up high enough to draft Izak Rankine as I believe he is next level freak material but realistically the Crows have been planning for him and are going to offer up something huge to get their hands on him.

I think trading up would be dependent on someone under contract moving out which we won’t know for some time. We need an injection of pace into the midfield, we need a quarterback replacement for Heater and we need a high quality ruck.

I would do anything to get up high enough to draft Izak Rankine as I believe he is next level freak material but realistically the Crows have been planning for him and are going to offer up something huge to get their hands on him.
I think we have one of the fastest midfield groups in the comp. obviously I’d take more but I think it interesting you think we need more speed. Why is that?

I think we have one of the fastest midfield groups in the comp. obviously I’d take more but I think it interesting you think we need more speed. Why is that?

We have a bunch of mids namely Hopper/Taranto/Ward/Perryman/Setterfield/Deledio/Bonar/Shipley that I would describe as one paced.

Ward is an elite gun, Deledio fit and well the the same, Taranto showing all the signs of getting there.

Setters hasn’t had a crack but relies on height/distribution more than speed. Bonar is a bang and crash style player but not super quick, Perryman/Hopper/Shipley lack agility.

It would be lovely if we could bring in a fleet footed indigenous lad to our mids as I think Daniels and Langdon have shores up the small forwards and we have good toe in defence.

One or two more quick mids would make a difference imho.

We have a bunch of mids namely Hopper/Taranto/Ward/Perryman/Setterfield/Deledio/Bonar/Shipley that I would describe as one paced.

Ward is an elite gun, Deledio fit and well the the same, Taranto showing all the signs of getting there.

Setters hasn’t had a crack but relies on height/distribution more than speed. Bonar is a bang and crash style player but not super quick, Perryman/Hopper/Shipley lack agility.

It would be lovely if we could bring in a fleet footed indigenous lad to our mids as I think Daniels and Langdon have shores up the small forwards and we have good toe in defence.

Quite an accurate analysis of the midfield situation I thought. Even with players like kelly, scully, etc. I feel like they have speed and are amazing endurance athletes, but we could use more players with acceleration, creativity and zip - like shiel, williams, langdon through the middle. I remember seeing adelaide against us last yr in rd 1 with charlie cameron and milera tearing through the middle of the ground against our mids thinking how hard that was to defend even for a midfield as quick as ours. If we could add that dimension to our offensive game, our mix of endurance/speed along with burst acceleration could make for a frightening prospect.

Liking the idea of bringing some indigenous boys on board (only really williams, finlayson and maybe shipley at the moment) to build a stronger culture but unfortunately many of them this year are linked with a NGA. Like the look of ian hill and jarod cameron together but one is from perth (bit far from home and would assume freo/wce would be keen on him) and the other is academy. Hill just looks silky and can really break away with his acceleration. Cameron reminds me of his cousin as someone who can use his breakneck speed both offensive and defensively. Rate sydney stack as well, so maybe we consider him.

I see your point about the pace of those players. But they are recruited to win the ball around contests rather than break away from that contest. It’s a special player (dusty) that does both. Usually mids are recruited for one not both of those roles

It’s an interesting debate around the makeup of the list. Personally I can’t see many holes. I think Briggs looks like a really promising ruck prospect and fills a need. In addition to that I think we take the best available player

The usual bullshit

Shiel is up for trade every 2 years supposedly.

Since all our stars are signed for this year, a nice change, the media are now starting on our 2019 signings.

Vfl clickbate media

we should start giving it back to them - Murphy says goodbye to Carlton and comes to GWS where he can actually contest for a premiership :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So looking to the end of the season and the likely list changes and here is my list of possibilities
Mohr retire Development player coach
Keefe Delist
Tiziani Delist/Pick up in the rookie draft
Reid Retire/Development player coach or NEAFL player/line coach his body has been ok the last 2 years
Griffen 1 year contract but only if he is happy on a reduced wage as I don't think the club can afford much
Move Simpson to the rookie list or delist him and pick up a mature ruck in the rookie draft, this would mean the coaches need to back in Flynn
For the rookie list I can see both Buckleys moving on and Lloyd is being upgraded

This would enable 3 or 5 picks in the national draft depending on what list size they want and then I think the chance for 3 or 4 rookies, Currently the club has picks 9 24 43 45 63, also this is before the trade period so subject to change but with most players contracted beyond this year i can see minimal movement in the list but still 7 games and finals left and what the coaches are thinking about the state of the list
First pick best mid Initially I thought Bailey Smith would be around at the first pick but he is looking top 5 now so i think Connor Rozee from SA or Sydney Stack from WA may interest the club as I see a need for more pace and a more outside player, Rozee is a long shot as I don't think the club has drafted from SA before
Second/Third pick Briggs and a running defender style player
Last pick Lloyd from the rookie list
Rookie draft 2/3 of the best performing academy players, I think Walker has dropped after not having a good national champs i think due to injury but hopefully he can have some games in the reserves to give the coaches an opportunity to look at him

Now this might be slightly left field

But how about trading for Jamie Elliot from the pies? With WHE and Stephenson they might struggle to play them all and seem to have moved on from their
Reliance on him.

I would be interested to know what he is worth as he has missed a lot of footy and is now out of contract.

Fit, the guy is a genuine star and adds goals, tackles and star power to the smalls setup.

A lot depends on how much we need to give to get him and whether or not the medical team think they can get him right but it’s an interesting thought

Injury history and salary cap would make me say a long shot

But how about trading for Jamie Elliot from the pies? With WHE and Stephenson they might struggle to play them all and seem to have moved on from their
Reliance on him.

I would be interested to know what he is worth as he has missed a lot of footy and is now out of contract.

Fit, the guy is a genuine star and adds goals, tackles and star power to the smalls setup.

A lot depends on how much we need to give to get him and whether or not the medical team think they can get him right but it’s an interesting thought

My 2019 team pre draft and trading:

Williams Davis Haynes
Tomlinson Corr Shaw
Kelly Shiel Whitfield
Taranto Cameron Scully
Langdon HH Greene
Lobb Ward Cogs

Bench: Hopper Griffen Deledio Finlayson

Close: De Boer, Kennedy, Buntine, Setters Daniels, Bonar, Shipley, Cumming, Reid, Sam Taylor

Reliance on him.

Don’t recruit any player with chronic injury history... surely we have learnt our lesson.

Reliance on him.

Zero chance we trade him

Zero chance u want him, simply too injury prone sadly

There is always a chance Josh Kelly asks to be traded, would pick 1 be what we would ask for, I do hope he wants to stay at least until end of 2021, when he is a free agent. With patons knee we need another ruck-forward, would people want Jordan Roughead as a free agent, or is he not of sufficient quality to pursue.

There is always a chance Josh Kelly asks to be traded, would pick 1 be what we would ask for, I do hope he wants to stay at least until end of 2021, when he is a free agent. With patons knee we need another ruck-forward, would people want Jordan Roughead as a free agent, or is he not of sufficient quality to pursue.
I think we are placed ok for talls... Sproule will be ready for a few games next year.
I think we need at least one more good, mature mid who can play on the inside.... at least as backup if hopper, Ward or Cogs get injured. Free up Shiel and Kelly more... it’s a waste having those two right on the inside imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back