List Mgmt. 2018 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think the team is stacked for inside players just unproven and young but if you think Deledio, TT and MDB can rotate and play inside and then the unproven ones in Perryman, Setterfield, Shipley and Bonar as well but it does also depend on trades and what happens with Reid and Griffen
I agree that Shiel and Kelly need to spend more time on the outside
Outside speed is what is needed in this draft IMO

Last edited:
chances of him wanting to leave SA are minimal, massive flight risk

That’s exactly what his management are hoping! Honestly some of the tactics these companies and players use is tantamount to Draft tampering. I still wonder what could have been if we were brave enough to take Brodie Grundy with the 5 picks we overlooked him with.

Rankine is a bit of a lad but no more so than a Carey or a Dusty. Once in the system he will be fine...take another SA boy to give him company. A few years ago we rarely took WA lads, now we have quite a few.

Remember last year I was like a broken record about Jaidyn Stephenson...even after the so called dodgy ticker thing came up. Rankine is the 2018 version in that he is the best talent.

They are messaging that he doesn’t want to leave but if he came he would play. Worst case he does his 2 years and goes...we are in the window!

Last edited:
That’s exactly what his management are hoping! Honestly some of the tactics these companies and players use is tantamount to Draft tampering.
Agree … but knowing it doesn't reduce the risk.

For mine, Rankine will go top 5, maybe quite high in that range. We're not going to finish bottom 5, so to get him would involve trading players and/or picks i.e. going 'all in' on one guy. I am not a big fan of that approach - eggs/basket that kind of thing - at the best of times (although there's times when it might be the best strategy), let alone for a guy likely to not want to be in western Sydney. I would think that there's value still in guys around that 10-15 mark: such as Taylor, Collier-Dawkins, Caldwell. It will be up to our talent identifiers to work out who is best for us.

For mine, Rankine will go top 5, maybe quite high in that range. We're not going to finish bottom 5, so to get him would involve trading players and/or picks i.e. going 'all in' on one guy. I am not a big fan of that approach - eggs/basket that kind of thing - at the best of times (although there's times when it might be the best strategy), let alone for a guy likely to not want to be in western Sydney. I would think that there's value still in guys around that 10-15 mark: such as Taylor, Collier-Dawkins, Caldwell. It will be up to our talent identifiers to work out who is best for us.

I strongly agree with this. If Rankine happened to be there at a pick we hold, I'm fine with taking him. Putting all our eggs in one basket is a lot more risky.

Worked pretty well for us with Josh Kelly!

I would make it a special project for Zaccy Williams...take the kid under your wing (when he’s not at Breakfast Point) and let him find the love of Sydney :)

Seriously though Adelaide are going to make an audacious bid to get both he and Lukosius so it’s a long shot anyway.

My rationale is this, in most drafts you find 4 or 5 extreme talents that are what I call difference makers, then you get another 10 or so that play year one and then a few surprise packets.

Our list is quite solid, we have extreme talent all over the place but probably lack some spark and leg speed in the guts and up front. I see a bloke like this being the kind of difference maker that could really add something we need during our sweet spot.

I’d rather we have a red hot go whilst we have a winning chance than settle for solid citizens who will be nice players but won’t necessarily carry us to the holy grail. This kid could but will require aggressive recruiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worked pretty well for us with Josh Kelly!
That was effectively a recent pick 3 and that year's pick 9 for picks 2 and 20. The equivalent this year would be us giving up Taranto (a recent pick 2) and our first round pick for Rankine and a late first round pick. You keen on that? I'm not.

I don't know what Melbourne did to Tyson though. I really rated him when he was traded. :(

That was effectively a recent pick 3 and that year's pick 9 for picks 2 and 20. The equivalent this year would be us giving up Taranto (a recent pick 2) and our first round pick for Rankine and a late first round pick. You keen on that? I'm not.

I don't know what Melbourne did to Tyson though. I really rated him when he was traded. :(

The equivalent could also being us giving up Josh Schache or Jonathon O’Rourke, a couple of recent pick 2’s that are re absolute goats.

We can make things look whatever way we want using past results.

My point is that we are still in the window but that could close in the next 2 years (particularly if Kelly/Shiel or both leave).

I feel we can be aggressive this year if it is in pursuit of a ready made difference maker. This kid like Coniglio played against men as a young boy and has proven himself so I think the guess work is minimal.

We can’t place too much importance on going home or we play into the hands of the bigger clubs.

From what I’ve seen it’s so had to predict which kids adapt and which are unsettled. There doesn’t seem to be any formulae as they can be from the city or country, from rich families or poor you can only back your systems to hope they will settle and stick around.

The equivalent could also being us giving up Josh Schache or Jonathon O’Rourke, a couple of recent pick 2’s that are re absolute goats.

We can make things look whatever way we want using past results.

Well no, not really unless you're suggesting Taranto will turn out like Schache or JOR. These are players who already have two years in the system which cuts down a lot of the variance - Taranto and Tyson looked good, JOR and Schache didn't. You used the Josh Kelly trade as an example - I'm just pointing out the issue with that trade is that we still gave up two top 10 picks to get him.

My point is that we are still in the window but that could close in the next 2 years (particularly if Kelly/Shiel or both leave).

I feel we can be aggressive this year if it is in pursuit of a ready made difference maker. This kid like Coniglio played against men as a young boy and has proven himself so I think the guess work is minimal.

We can’t place too much importance on going home or we play into the hands of the bigger clubs.

From what I’ve seen it’s so had to predict which kids adapt and which are unsettled. There doesn’t seem to be any formulae as they can be from the city or country, from rich families or poor you can only back your systems to hope they will settle and stick around.

The cost to get to a point where we can get Rankine is going to be significant. Are we going to be better with him in the team instead of what we'd have to give up to get him?

Sure, if we can get a bargain deal for pick 4 or 5 (I think Setterfield and our first round pick would be a bare minimum that it'd take and that feels one-sided towards GWS) it would be worth it but I'm interested in what you would be willing to trade to get that top 5 pick given your poo-pooing of people who point out it's going to take quite a bit to get that pick.

Well no, not really unless you're suggesting Taranto will turn out like Schache or JOR. These are players who already have two years in the system which cuts down a lot of the variance - Taranto and Tyson looked good, JOR and Schache didn't. You used the Josh Kelly trade as an example - I'm just pointing out the issue with that trade is that we still gave up two top 10 picks to get him.

The cost to get to a point where we can get Rankine is going to be significant. Are we going to be better with him in the team instead of what we'd have to give up to get him?

Sure, if we can get a bargain deal for pick 4 or 5 (I think Setterfield and our first round pick would be a bare minimum that it'd take and that feels one-sided towards GWS) it would be worth it but I'm interested in what you would be willing to trade to get that top 5 pick given your poo-pooing of people who point out it's going to take quite a bit to get that pick.

I think it would be our 1st rounder this year, future 2nd rounder and a player. Who that player is I don’t now but packaged with the 2 selections I don’t think would have to be excessive. Probably a fringe player like Perryman would be acceptable.

In a draft with some depth that type of deal could appeal to a club that is struggling and in need of multiple selections and a readymade player.

I think it would be our 1st rounder this year, future 2nd rounder and a player. Who that player is I don’t now but packaged with the 2 selections I don’t think would have to be excessive. Probably a fringe player like Perryman would be acceptable.

In a draft with some depth that type of deal could appeal to a club that is struggling and in need of multiple selections and a readymade player.
I can't think of a club that would give us pick 1 for (roughly) 2018 Pick 10, 2019 pick 32 plus Perryman
If you don't have pick 1 highly unlikely you get Rankine
And I'd be keeping Perryman as he is an ideal Shaw replacement

I can't think of a club that would give us pick 1 for (roughly) 2018 Pick 10, 2019 pick 32 plus Perryman
And I'd be keeping Perryman as he is an ideal Shaw replacement

You could well be right but just spitballing! Carlton did some awful deals with us! There is always hope :)

Depends what Adelaide does, but I can't see GC, Carlton or Brisbane picking Rankine over Lukosius, Walsh or Smith.

Given what Rankine would cost at the draft table plus throw in the flight risk factor it just simply wouldn't be the right move to go after him. What would make more sense is if we are looking to add speed would be to look at Ian Hill who showed a lot as an underage last year but will slide a bit given he had an underwhelming draft year but does have a ton talent and we wouldn't have to give up much to have a pick around his draft range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back